LECOM Class of 2007 Financial Aid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, i'm in LDP and i'm in NY, however, i am at the beginning of the alphabet . .. maybe that helps.

can someone explain that defering stuff?

and may i ask another question relating to books, since everyone reading this thread has been really helpful?

ok, on another thread, njdo recommended a bunch of books, specifically--

Clinically Oriented Anatomy -Moore
Atlas of Human Anatomy- Netter
Human Embryology- Larsen
Histology: A Text and Atlas- Ross
Osteopathic Approach -DiGiovanna
Physical Exam of Spine and Extremeties- Hoppenfeld
Basic Medical Biochemistry- Marks
Medical Physiology- Rhoades
Medical Microbiology- Murray
Really Essential Medical Immunology- Roitt
Pathologic Basis of Disease- Cotran
Lippincott?s Pharmacology- Mycek
Pharmacology: Road Map -Katzung
Pharmacology: Exam & Review- Trevor
Green OMT book by savarese
USMLE first aid (someone else recommended this to me, i think)
Board Review Series Gross Anatomy- Kyung Won Chung

now, question 1.) he didn't use, or didn't have any texts he liked, for physiology, micro, and immunology. does anyone else have any recommendations? (i know most people on this thread are MSIs like myself, but i'm throwin this out there anyway)

question 2.) this list isn't even all of the books on the list from the bookstore, but the total is over $900 dollars. does this seem about right? at the top of the list, it says the books are for the first semester only but after looking at the schedule someone (i think mr helpful himself, njdo) sent me, it looks to me like some of those classes are second semester (i'm praying they are). but i only gave the schedule a cursory glance. can someone confirm this?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i know there is another thread about books somewhere (where i got njdo's list), but i'm too tired to search for it, so i really apologize if this is redundant for anyone. thanks guys. sorry for the long post
:(

Members don't see this ad.

i have been soooo excited to start ever since i got accepted in january until RIGHT NOW. :mad:

i just read over the schedule, and it looks like all of those books are for the first semester with the exception of immunology!! and they're $1000!! not like it impacts my loan decision or anything, but on that charming little budget worksheet they sent us, they only allot $1,500 for books AND supplies for the whole year. how can this be? not to mention thats not even ALL of the books they want us to buy!? whats the deal?? if i have to look at that stack of books every day, i think i might cry. :( a lot :(

DO NOT GO BUY ALL THE BOOKS!!!!!!!
First...they are recommended readings....which does not mean that they are required. Many courses you will not have to buy they book....or you can use a text in the library....or borrow one from a classmate or Big Bro/Sis, etc.
The only books that I would strongly recommend buying are mostly for board studying anyway. These are: First Aid, Step-Up, BRS Pathology, BRS Physio, Micro made ridiculously simple. OMT Review by Savarese.
For your courses, you probably will not need an anatomy text...but you will need an atlas. Look them over before you buy....me, I was partial to Netter...others hated him. But for the most part, it is a fairly straight forward class and the lecture notes will suffice. Biochem...Marks, Marks and Smith is good, but too long....recommend the BRS Biochem (its written by one of the marks...so its the same stuff....just condensed), also the clinical vignettes is good. Histology???? Dont know...Dr. G taught us and he is no longer here. Id wait and see....but I know that for Systems classes....i used the BRS Histo quite a lot.
I may be selling some books, so hold tight.....I am waiting for 1)my board scores 2) my roommate who will be an incoming MSI...so he has first choices....but otherwise I will have quite a bit for sale.
I would also get to know Sara in the bookstore....she will tell you if a book is a waste of money. I wasted a lot....they are good references...which I maybe reference 1X a year.....could do the same thing in the library or the internet.
stomper

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I received my financial aid today(7-16). Also received a call this morning from Elaine Morse to let me know that I got a spot in PBL!! So, I'm happy....LDP is cool but PBL was my first choice.

Dr_Sax

Congrats DrSax! Welcome to PBL! The only downfall of PBL..you really do need to buy almost all the books on the list. (Not for anatomy though, so you have a little while to wait.)

Congratulations Dr. Sax!!

As for Financial Aid, I can't say much, since I just received the original application to fill out. But I did just call the office to see typically how long it will take to get back eligibility papers, and she said that they have so much paperwork to go through, that they are backed up by 2 weeks or so. I'm not sure what that means but it seems like it will be some time before anyone hears anything!

Thanks guys! I'm sure that anyone who completed his/her initial financial aid packet by the beginning of the summer like I did will receive his/her final packet soon. From what you get in the packet, no offense to LECOM, it's a wonder it took them so long. I think Raspberry will agree.

Dr_Sax

Hey, how's everyone hanging in there?

Dr. Sax...Congrats on PBL

As for the book list, I want to stress that you should take a look at the books first, talk to MSII's, talk to Sara, and see how the course goes first. IIt's so funny to watch parents and students during that welcome day because a lot of parents like to buy their kids some books and then realize how much they are. Mine left all that up to me. If you really want to save money on books, you can. Most professor's powerpoints will suffice and you can just study from them.

For me, I like books as references, so I have most of the books on the list. I don't have all of them, and I don't really recommend all of them. If you want a particular breakdown of books I can give you specifics of what I like/don't like about certain books.

Certain review books are better than others. With most of the BRS books you can't go wrong. I highly recommend BRS Gross Anatomy, Pathology and Physiology. Those 3 are tops.

Raspberry,
That list is all 1st semester. Some of those core classes will likely carry over to second semester. Than come other books...wait till you see the price of the Derm book (but it's worth it).

Any other questions? Just let me know.

njdo

raspberry certainly does agree! why on earth it took financial aid months to put 4 sheets of paper into a large envelope i will never know.
dr_sax- congrats on PBL. i could go on a rant regarding the admissions office and their delegation of learning pathways to incoming students but now is neither the time nor the place . . . perhaps that will be a subect for a future thread . . .

thank you njdo and stomper for your book advice. the reason that i am asking now is because my mom works for barnes and noble and can get my books at a considerable discount, but she needs to order them now because it will take two weeks for them to get here. so i had her order all the ones i listed on that earlier post, and i guess i can just save the receipt and return them to the erie barnes and noble if i decide i don't need them. thats the joy of having a credit card, i guess :)

Hi all

Njdo, I would like to hear your thoughts on the books...if you have a chance

And away we gooooo...

Clinically Oriented Anatomy -Moore

A very thorough book of anatomy with tons of pics. Though it's not the best book to sit and read, it's definitely a good reference.

Atlas of Human Anatomy- Netter

Netter is a classic and that makes it good and bad. It has its mistakes and some things aren't best visualized with his drawings. Supplement it wth one of the other atlases (I say Rohen-live photos)

Human Embryology- Larsen

This is the book we used, though I don't know what Kreuger has up his sleeve this year. The book is thorough, but lacks enough detailed drawings to get a good idea of what's going on. Embryology is a visual course. I copied pics from other books in the library to supplement Larsen.

Histology: A Text and Atlas- Ross

I didn't think this book was anything great. I have a decent knowledge of histo, so I didn't use it all that often, but Snow likes to get things from here since his lectures are sometimes lacking. At times he'll tell you to read a topic in the book on your own and he won't go into it, but will test you on it...that's when it comes in handy.

Osteopathic Approach -DiGiovanna

All the OMM docs will refer to this, and this is really the ONLY book you need for OMM. When the docs contradict each other (which is ALL the time), this book is the final say.

Physical Exam of Spine and Extremeties- Hoppenfeld

This book is not something you have to run out and get right away. It comes in handy after winter break for H&P and the MS system. A little pricey for how thin the book is, but it's an excellent resource for an osteopathic physician.

Basic Medical Biochemistry- Marks

I think this is a great book for med students. Sometimes I actually thought it was a bit too easy. Nevertheless, it's easy to understand and all the Biochem professors will use the pics from it. It's easy to read-that's the best part.

Medical Physiology- Rhoades

Don't know anything at all about it. I've mentioned before that there's no good physio text that I've found. Guyton and Hall is good, but it's dry to read. Don't get Berne and Levy. It is horrible. It was required for us and I barely opened it. We called it Burn it and Leave it.

Medical Microbiology- Murray

Unless you've never had any micro before, don't bother with it. There are several review books that are good, plus the slides from the professors are all-around excellent.

Really Essential Medical Immunology- Roitt

I never used this one. It's different than the one that was required for us, but I heard it's not bad if I'm thinking of the right one. You don't get much immuno, so it may be worth it to forego the purchase and just use the slides that Hussein gives you.

Pathologic Basis of Disease- Cotran

I think this is one of those must-haves. Ziegler calls it his Bible. It is a good classic.

Lippincott?s Pharmacology- Mycek

This becomes helpful if Linville is lecturing (warning...anything becomes helpful if Linville is lecturing). Nassiri gives you his TQ's. If you find Pharm confusing, get it. It's one of the most popular books students use to study for the boards.

Pharmacology: Road Map -Katzung

Nassiri (Pharm chair) told us all to buy this and read it over the summer. He swears by this book now for board review (it's brand new). I recommend getting it--he usually knows what he's talking about.

Pharmacology: Exam & Review- Trevor

I think this book is a bit better than Mycek, but it's pictures aren't as easy to follow. It has a lot of board review TQ's.

Green OMT book by savarese

I haven't purchased the new version yet, but it will be on my list when I get back. It's a good review of material before the OMM exams. This book has more sample board questions than the older version. You don't necessarily need this book.

USMLE first aid (someone else recommended this to me, i think)

If you can keep up with reviewing this book while you're in anatomy and core, you'll be doing great for board review. I could never keep up. I utilized it for certain review topics. It's a classic board review book.

Board Review Series Gross Anatomy- Kyung Won Chung

I say a definite purchase. It really slims down what you need to know about everything. It puts anatomy in an easy-to-understand outline format. Plus, its questions at the end of chapters are nice.

These are all just my opinions. I am not the authority on books, but I have most of them, so I can tell you what's in them. Hope they help.

njdo

Well, since we're on the topic of books perhaps Hermione or Sddoc can give me, a new PBL student, their two cents on PBL books. I know being in PBL basically means that I need all of the books seeing as the pathway is heavy into reading, but which do you recommend?

Dr_sax

Members don't see this ad :)
Stomper speaks the truth.

Buy books only when it's deemed you think you need them. don't go spending crap loads of cash buying books you will never need/read. Lecture notes will suffice most of the time. Just do a wait and see, instead of a see and buy. Books you defintely need from my perspective:

Netter
Micro made ridiculously simple
Some kind of Pharm review book
Green OMT review book for nights before tests, which will be the only time you look at OMM, i promise.
BRS books are execellent. Use them as texts before the others.

And Sara will be your best friend. When in doubt, ask her. She knows all. Befriend her, be nice to her, appreciate her. Congrats, good luck, and enjoy your summer. You are warned. The wonderful world of Laycom awaits you in a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by DaNugget79
The wonderful world of Laycom awaits you in a couple of weeks.
"Laycom..." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ok so this has nothing to do with any of this stuff, and its too trivial to start a new thread, but just in case anyone wanted to know, verizon dsl does extend into most areas just outside of erie (ie millcreek area, including mill glenn and granada apts) and you can sign up for it online. if you sign up online, the first month is free, and the second and third months are $29.99, and from then on its $35 a month. they just send you a self installation kit in the mail and you're done. extremely easy.

Originally posted by raspberry swirl
ok so this has nothing to do with any of this stuff, and its too trivial to start a new thread, but just in case anyone wanted to know, verizon dsl does extend into most areas just outside of erie (ie millcreek area, including mill glenn and granada apts) and you can sign up for it online. if you sign up online, the first month is free, and the second and third months are $29.99, and from then on its $35 a month. they just send you a self installation kit in the mail and you're done. extremely easy.

It is much better to call the local cable company from the start and get cablemodem service. DSL through verizon is a rip off. Had it and it was nothing but trouble and errors on my bill with basic DSL and Basic phone (no long distance) they were charging over $130 a month when the 3 month contract for 29.95 ended. You could always use them for 3 months then switch to cable modem if you are on a budget, but beware the DSL service really sucks here.

I disagree....
Ive had DSL with verizon for over 3 years....and never had a real problem with them. There have been a few times when the system was down, but no more than a power outage (2-3x/yr) and usually it was back up by the end of the day.
Billing was never a problem either.
stomper

I should tell everyone how my loan almost didn't go through. I applied last week and my *%#$*@ computer froze before I could sign my promisary note but AFTER I had processed one app. So, the computer ended up sending two apps. Well, I had to call and cancel one and I was assured that everything had been taken care of. NOT! I bothered to log on a few days later to check the status and it nicely told me I had been denied. Apparently, when the woman cancelled my first app, the computer couldn't process the second one, so by default it denied it. And all the woman could say was, "wow, glad you caught that." YEAH ME TOO.

I forgot to ask her if T.H.E. would be so kind as to buy me a new pair of shorts :laugh:

The unlucky Dr_sax

Here's my two cents...

I think isp's depend on where you are, because I had cable modem back home in ny and it sucked royally. I have verizon dsl here in erie and its wonderful. Never had a problem with it.

I guess it depends where you live, b/c I have also heard that cable service here is pretty good too.

i've had good experience in the past with verizon phone service, internet, and my cell phone, so i'm not too worried. i posted because at first i thought i couldnt get verizon and then when i found i could, i was very excited. seems to me that you have had an awful lot of bad luck in erie, hippo.

Its not Hippo's luck....its the attitude that sucks.

I'd say this also also off subject but at this point nobody would really notice ;) . I called a friend of mine who sells insurance to ask about the disability insurance offered at LECOM, and whether or not it's a good deal. In short it seems to be pretty unique for an insurance company to offer disability to MS-I's & II's and their prices looked pretty reasonable. In fact she couldn't even give me a alternative quote. So it looks like LECOM's deal isn't too bad. Hope this helps.