LECOM: clerkships at non-listed Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green912

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I admit I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I have a question about where LECOM'ers can do clerkships. One of the places I'd really be interested in is about 10 minutes from one of their approved Hospitals. Is it difficult/possible to do a clerkship at an unlisted Hospital? I read somewhere on LECOM's website that you could, but I don't know how that translates in real practice.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Green912,

During your 3rd and 4th years there are certain required rotations you have (IM, surgery, pediatrics, OB/GYN, etc.) that must be completed at the hospitals which are affiliated with the school (45+). If you would be interested in doing a rotation outside of these hospitals, that hospital must be willing to sign a contract with LECOM. From what I've been told, this contract essentially states that the hospital will accept any LECOM student interested in doing a rotation there, they agree to provide housing, and they agree to provide meals while working. It sounds pretty easy, but our dean of Clinical education says by the time all the paperwork is signed and whatnot, the plan usually falls through for some reason or other. Each year a few new sites are added-this year I believe about 3 Michigan sites were added and a few others as well.

On a brighter note, there are electives during both years where you can rotate any where your heart desires (providing that hospital/program accepts you). These are usually hospitals that are not affiliated with LECOM, but that you are interested in doing your internship/residency at. For instance, LECOM has no NJ affiliations anymore, so I am going to try to set up some NJ hospital rotations. From what I've heard, the dean has to allow you to go to any AOA approved rotation, though any program is fair game.

Take it easy.

njdo

there are electives during both years where you can rotate any where your heart desires (providing that hospital/program accepts you). These are usually hospitals that are not affiliated with LECOM, but that you are interested in doing your internship/residency at.

Thanks for the reply njdo,
What I'm most interested in is an emergency rotation at an Ohio Hospital where, at least for now, is where I'd like to do an EM Residency. Any idea of how difficult it is to get a hospital to allow you to do a rotation at their site? I suppose it partly depends on if they have agreements with other med schools and their students.