LECOM computer requirement/help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
LAN vs. ethernet.
One of the school's computer requirement is ethernet. Can you use lan instead and will lecom allow it? What do you guys think of the below computer? Does it meet all of lecom's computer requirements? I don't know alot about computers but your insights will be greatly appreciated.

This is the computer i am thinking because it is light weight and $900(Averatec 3150H Notebook PC With Athlon XP-M 1600+)

Accessories Included
Battery, AC adapter, power cord

Key Features and Description
12.1-inch XGA TFT LCD screen with 1024 x 768 maximum resolution
Mobile Athlon XP-M 1600+ processor
256 KB Level 2 cache
256 MB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM, expandable to 640 MB
8x DVD-ROM and 16x10x24CD-RW combo drive
30 GB hard disk drive
Integrated 10/100 network
ntegrated 56 Kbps data/fax modem
Smart Li-Ion with 3+ hours of battery life between charges
S3 ProSavage8 integrated video with 32 MB shared video memory
AC97 v2.1 compliant PCI audio with 3-D audio
Built-in stereo speakers and microphone
Three USB 2.0 ports
15-pin VGA port (monitor)
Audio line-output
Microphone input
RJ-11 port (fax/modem)
RJ-45 port (LAN)
Type II PC card/cardbus
Full-size keyboard with 85 keys and 12 function keys
Synaptics touch pad with scroll buttons
Software includes Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Works 7.0, Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3, PowerDVD XP 4.0 and Norton Anti-Virus 2003 (limited subscription)
10.6" x 9.6" x 1.05"
Weighs 4.3 pounds with standard battery

Also, where did you buy your laptop from and how much did it cost you?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't AMD processor(lecom requirement) the same as Mobile Athlon XP-M 1600+ processor??

Quick and simple answer #1 : it looks like the specs will most likely meet LECOM's ethernet requirement.

Quick and simple answer #2 : Athlon XP-M 1600+ processor is made by AMD. Similar to saying that the Pentium 4 Processor is made by Intel.

Longer answer to #1: The RJ-45 (LAN) port looks like an overgrown telephone jack. A cable (called ethernet cable, or "patch" or CAT5) plugs into your laptop via the RJ-45 port at one end, and on the other end plugs into a similar looking jack connected to the school. This will allow you to access the campus's network or LAN (Local Area Network).

There are many types of local networks, ethernet being the most popular form of LAN.

So technically, if you have a RJ-45 port on your laptop, you can hook up to the campus's ethernet network if you have a ethernet cable.

To make matters more complicated, just because you physically hook up to the network doesn't mean you can access it. They might require special settings and/or drivers/software that you must configure so that your operating system (Windows XP, ME, 98, Apple OS) can access it. However, I'm sure that tech support at LECOM will be able to provide you with any help you might need in accessing LECOM's network.

Disclaimer - I do not know anything about LECOM's computer requirement since I am not a LECOM student. The answers I have given goes toward the questions asked (can you use lan instead of ethernet AND isn't AMD processor the same as Athlon XP).

Group_theory
PCOM '007 <-- secret agent

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say your laptop looks fine. Your processor and RAM are more then adequate, and your built in network port (10/100) is pretty universal. If by the off chance you need to add anything you have the type II pc slots to do so. Also AMD makes a variety of processors ranging from economy (duron) to the higher end athalon. Mine has the duron but at 1ghz it doesn't really matter. By the way the school should do all the network configurations for you. At least they did for mine. good luck.

What do you guys think of the 12.1 inch screen as opposed to 14+? Dell's inspiron 1100(14+ inch screen) for about $749 but it weighs like 7.2 pounds(whilst averatec 3150h wieghs 4.1pounds). Any suggestions when it comes to screen size and weight size?

the bigger the better.....DVDs during boring lectures will make the day go by faster:)
stomper

Does lecom have wireless internet connection service? During lecture, can you use the internet via your laptop without connecting any wires or plugging things(wireless lan)? Can you access your laptop anywhere on campus or are you assigned to specific areas?

thanks.

My old laptop was had a 12-inch screen and my current one a 14-inch. Going back to a 12 would be like going back to a dial-up ISP, but if money's an issue go for what you can afford. From what I've seen at LECOM they only have "wired" access. Also I hear rumors that they might be restricting internet access during lecture times.

I am a pharmacy student at LECOM - there are many places in the building to get the internet. In the pharmacy program it is being restricted because of the abuse but I never heard the same about the med program. Just because they do something with the pharmacy school does not mean they will repeat it.....

thanks for the advice/answers.

Since LECOM does NOT have a wireless internet connection service. So, it is not worth buying a wireless lan laptop as they are very expensive. Am i correct?

Originally posted by Heyyyyy
thanks for the advice/answers.

Since LECOM does NOT have a wireless internet connection service. So, it is not worth buying a wireless lan laptop as they are very expensive. Am i correct?

Depends.

If the price difference between one that does vs. one that does not - all other things being equal, is less than, say - $100, then I'd go for it.

Reason being is that if/when wireless ethernet becomes a reality on campus, you will have to shell out the money to buy a wireless card anyway. And having built-in wireless makes for a more streamlined package - i.e., no card protuding out, one less card to carry around.

Seem like the higher-priced models have wireless bundled in, so there is probably a bigger than $100 dollar difference ...

- Tae

For those of you who can't afford a laptop....

A laptop is not essential at LECOM so long as you're a member of the note service...I basically used mine to access the internet at home. A few of my classmates actually used their laptops to follow the powerpoints, but most used them to combat the intense boredom that is inherent to many lectures.

Bottom line...If you can afford a laptop, buy one....but having a laptop is not an absolute necessity.

I agree, my laptop has not left my desk at home since somewhere around the third week of school. My only advice would be that if you are not going to get a laptop, make sure you have high speed access from home so you can download notes and powerpoints from the server efficiently. Otherwise it takes forever.
This especially applies to PBL students. I can't think of any reason to have a laptop. I like mine b/c it takes up less room on my desk. But it was also A LOT more money than a desktop PC, so was it worth it for me? I don't know. Probablly not.

lecom will start putting in the wrieless network & blue tooth tech. starting this yr...i doubt it will be ready by the time school starts.