Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LECOM Cons and Pros

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by manan982, Aug 18, 2018.

1. manan982

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I just want to let those of you applying to LECOM pharmacy school be aware that this school makes no logical sense whatsoever in their rules.
    1. No food or water anywhere except their cafeteria.
    2.Their cafeteria has no diverse options and they only accept cash.
    3. The area even lacks diversity.
    4. They make you pay $15 for name embroidery of your white coat. (They can't pay it for us? Why are we paying all this tuition for?)
    5. Dressing professionally everyday(that's most pharmacy schools), even on exam days.
    ***6. MANDATORY ATTENDANCE!
    ***7. They added a new course for P1 students called Applied Patient Care, which is 2 hours long on Mondays (the day you have exams) or Fridays from 4:40-6:40pm. It is the most useless and time wasting class ever and sometimes the assignments are long and you end up staying past 7pm. Were they thinking to torture students? We are humans? We have studying to do outside of class too? We have lives? We need sleep?
    8. Assigned seats so you're stuck in the same seat, same room, around the same people, everyday :)
    9. Lectures are back to back and you only get 30 min lunch break twice a week. Sometimes you're stuck on campus for 7 hours because of the Applied Patient Care class but the minimum is 4 hours. Lab days are only 2 hours (this will be your favorite day).
    10. Administration disorganized
    11. They encourage you to carpool or park in the dental building because of lack of parking space. Parking in the dental building is quite a far walk :)
    12. Barely any organizations, both professional and personal
    13. Small campus, just one big building that you share with med students
    14. Orientation WEEK is 8am-5pm. lectures start that week too :)
    15. Clowns on the 3rd floor
    16. NAPLEX and MPJE below average
    17. They lie to you saying they'll set you up with a mentor (who has to be a practicing pharmacist) if you don't have extensive pharmacy experience but they make you hunt for a mentor all by yourself when the time comes. It can't be a faculty or family member either.

Pros:
    1. Professors are helpful and friendly
    2. Easy school to get in. No PCAT
    3. Beaches nearby
    4. Your classmates

#1 manan982, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Tommy1234

5+ Year Member

I guess you are P1.What you guys do in Applied Patient Care? Do you like the school?

3. Tommy1234

5+ Year Member

is it true that Lecom no longer allow students to have last year rotation out of state or back home?

4. manan982

2+ Year Member

Don't they have a campus in Florida? Why can't you do rotations in Florida?

5. chrispharmd

Lecom did changed rotation policy. Students in P3 right now in Erie is last year where they allow to students to go anywhere. Starting your class and P2 where they stopped doing that. Don't know why. Just wait when u become P2. It will getting worse and more strict on attendance, which I think it's stupid. Plus, no record lectures which is suck.

6. Modest_anteater

Modest_anteater Austin, Texas, USA.

My friend currently goes to DO school there and I have a friend that is currently a P2 there in the pharmacy program. I have emailed them and this is what they told me.

1. No food or water anywhere except their cafeteria. THIS IS TRUE BUT IT IS TO PROTECT STUDENTS LAPTOPS FROM ACCIDENTAL SPILLS
    2.Their cafeteria has no diverse options and they only accept cash. TRUE BUT HAVING A CAFETERIA IS A CONVIENACE. COMPARE THIS TO PHARM SCHOOLS LIKE SAINT JOSEPHS IN HEARTFORD, CT THAT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A CAFETERIA AND ONLY A KITCHEN FOR YOU TO MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD.
    3. The area even lacks diversity. HAVE YOU BEEN TO OTHER NEARBY SCHOOLS? CASE IN POINT ADA, OHIO OHIO NORTHREN PHARMACY UNIVERSITY. 99% WHITE. ERIE IS DIVERSE THERE ARE AROUND 20% BLACK AND LOTS OF ARABS. IT IS A SMALL CITY.
    4. They make you pay $15 for name embroidery of your white coat. (They can't pay it for us? Why are we paying all this tuition for?) THIS ISN'T TRUE TO MY KNOWLEDGE. WHITECOAT AND EMBROIDERY IS INCLUDED IN TUITION
    5. Dressing professionally everyday(that's most pharmacy schools), even on exam days. TRUE
    ***6. MANDATORY ATTENDANCE! TRUE BUT MAKES SENSE? AND APPARENTLY IT'S NOT MANDATORY AND YOU CAN ACTUALLY MISS UP TO 10 DAYS A YEAR WITH NO 5% DEDUCTION IN GRADES
    ***7. They added a new course for P1 students called Applied Patient Care, which is 2 hours long on Mondays (the day you have exams) or Fridays from 4:40-6:40pm. It is the most useless and time wasting class ever and sometimes the assignments are long and you end up staying past 7pm. Were they thinking to torture students? We are humans? We have studying to do outside of class too? We have lives? We need sleep?
    ITS AN ACCELERATED CURRICULUM WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?
    8. Assigned seats so you're stuck in the same seat, same room, around the same people, everyday
    EVERY PHARMACY SCHOOL I HAVE HEARD OF HAS ASSIGNED SEATS.
    9. Lectures are back to back and you only get 30 min lunch break twice a week. Sometimes you're stuck on campus for 7 hours because of the Applied Patient Care class but the minimum is 4 hours. Lab days are only 2 hours (this will be your favorite day). AGAIN IT'S AN ACCELERATED PROGRAM WHAT DO YOU EXPECT
    10. Administration disorganized HOW SO?
    11. They encourage you to carpool or park in the dental building because of lack of parking space. Parking in the dental building is quite a far walk FALSE. LECOM'S PARKING LOT IS HUGE AND THERE IS ALWAYS FREE SPACES.
    12. Barely any organizations, both professional and personal THIS IS PAR FOR THE COURSE COMPARE TO SAINT JOSEPH OR ROOSEVELT UNIVERSITY IN CHICAGO
    13. Small campus, just one big building that you share with med students STILL LARGER THAN SAINT JOSEPH OR ROOSEVELT UNIVERSITY. HAVE YOU EVEN TOURED OTHER PHARMACY SCHOOLS?
    14. Orientation WEEK is 8am-5pm. lectures start that week too :) MORE IMMATURE WHINNING
    15. Clowns on the 3rd floor ????? YOU MEAN IN THE GLASS CASES? THERE ARE NO CLOWNS ON THE 3RD FLOOR....
    16. NAPLEX and MPJE below average NAPLEX WAS HIGHER THAN duquesne LAST YEAR. AND duquesne TUITION IS 3X AS EXPENSIVE
    17. They lie to you saying they'll set you up with a mentor (who has to be a practicing pharmacist) if you don't have extensive pharmacy experience but they make you hunt for a mentor all by yourself when the time comes. It can't be a faculty or family member either. THIS IS A VERY TRIVAL MATTER

7. Peterpiper1

If it’s one thing I’ve learned, is that pharmacy students love to complain about everything. Nothing is ever good enough.

GodIsBeautiful likes this.
  8. manan982

2+ Year Member

Not just pharmacy students. Students everywhere love to complain

9. Melazine

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah this doesn't sound too bad compare to some other pharmacy schools I know.... Good luck...

10. OldPhotography

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I fear for the future of pharmacy after evaluating your complaints. Wait until you get to the real world.

11. BC_89

Moderator Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That bad huh....lol

get to know Zoloft..you’ll need it for the real world..

12. manan982

2+ Year Member

In the real world working we will get paid. Students don't get paid

13. manan982

2+ Year Member

When I get that paycheck, Zoloft won't be needed

14. BC_89

Pharmacy Student
    You’ll need something stronger by then

15. princeafrica

Pre-Dental
    So much complaining for a place that you can just walk into and start class without a PCAT score and low gpa

16. BC_89

Pharmacy Student
    ....I mean, if mandatory attendance is illogical for a degree seeker as well as “unnecessary” hours to take away your free time, I wonder what the reaction of med students and every other health field would say to this list....

Then again, maybe my military bias-ness with hours of work and my own definition of “free time” is an outlier when comparing to other students? I got my certs while on active duty so maybe this list is the “normal irrational sense” to everyone else and considered outrages....Am I wrong in thinking this?

bankaix808 likes this.
  17. Secret_Informant

Pharmacist
    This thread lists many reasons why I declined to apply to LECOM in 2014. It would be nice if someone posted a Pros and Cons thread for other schools, like USF for instance.

manan982 likes this.
  18. JamesPharmD

JamesPharmD Probationary Status

I'm a former LECOM pharmacy student in Erie. Trust me, it will be much worse in P2. In P3 (APPE rotation) you have to stay around the local area in Erie to do the rotation. They're stop allowed students go back their home state for APPE rotations. Lots of last year students are angry about this because they thought they only need to stay in Erie for 2 years instead of 3. They're very disorganized and changed last minutes schedule like I mentioned about the rotation above. Their PT labs are useless and a waste of time. The local area in Erie is boring (especially during winter) and not much to do. Professors are lazy and used same materials without update current guidelines.

There are so many post about LECOM. Look through it. Students at LECOM are NOT HAPPY and students are lacked of skilled compare to other school. Cafeteria is sucks and it's expensive. If you don't believe me, then wait till you attend at LECOM especially during the winter.

#18 JamesPharmD, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  19. Peterpiper1

Why didn’t you go to another school? You realize it’s very easy nowadays to get into several pharmacy schools.
    I think you guys just like to complain for the sake of complaining. Why don’t you keep the venting to your class Facebook page.

20. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Who says you're going to be working when you get out in the real world though? New grad pharmacists are already having a hard time finding full time positions today (some numbers indicate ~50% unemployment). Imagine what it's going to be like in 4 years if pharmacy schools keep pumping out new grads 10x faster than demand.

21. JamesPharmD

JamesPharmD Probationary Status

I didn't know about it until I got in and realize how bad LECOM is on my first month there. Then, start to look up about LECOM and it's too late to get out.

What about you? what pharmacy school you attend?

22. Biopharm48

Pre-Pharmacy
    So I just want to clear a few things up, as a current P1 at LECOM Erie, which after reading your post there is no way you are....

23. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I came across this hysterical wtf LECOM ad recently and took a screen shot
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    Someone should sue them for false advertising

BidingMyTime likes this.
  24. DagS132

5+ Year Member

This actually sounds pretty interesting, lol. It'd be pretty unique to have literal clowns at your graduate school