Lecom Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxDaisyMSPH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...I'm using my friend's name on here. I'm a MSI student at LECOM and I justed everyone to know about the dress code in case they have any concerns about it. LECOM is so not strict...they just try to be and try to freak you out. Girls can wear sandles, jean skirts, basically anything they want. Some girls wear what you would wear to clubs. Guys are a little more strict, but still are pretty lenient, just make sure you have a tie on. But for two days, you can wear athletic pants, tennis shoes, days with OMM and anatomy lab. I wrote the last part for those who isn't enrolled, since everyone makes such a big deal out of the rules and its really no big deal. LIke you're suppose to be in dress code until 4 PM, afterwhich you can wear whatever you want, but for a review at 2PM, I wore a non-collared shirt, shorts, and sandles, and I walked right past Dr. Silvia, who is pretty high up. So once again, not a big deal. And about attendance policy, my big missed 28 classes and he got a good grade in anatomy, so no one ever said a word about it. They just try to be really strict, but they really aren't as bad as some people make it out to be. So if you have concerns because of their strictness, don't. LECOM is a great school so far...all the professors show concern for you and all have open door policy for you. They have conselors in case you're struggling, and basically, they take of you really well. Their number one thing from day one is that they show concern about your boards, and they prepare you for your clinical work. Like during second year, they have seminars to teach you skills that you will use during your rotations. That's a huge plus, since I have a lot of hospitals complain about how students they receive from other schools, MD and DO's alike, that they have never drawn blood, felt personal areas on both genders, stuff like that, they LECOM prepare you really well for. Last word of advice for all future sudents, DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU REALLY DESIRE TO BE A DOCTOR!!! If you're not sure, then don't do it...it really is truly tough. We started two monday's go...and we had a quiz on the first friday, and then had two exams on the next tuesday. So after 5 days of lecture, you have more notes than you have in about an entire semester in undergrad and in grad school. I also got a master's from tulane university so I know the work load of a grad student, and its about 50 times worse. Its doable...but you just have to study a few hours a night if you're really smart, and for some, they study 6-7 hours per night. So be prepared to work immediately...I'm having a great time studying here...but some people are just plain miserable because they chose to go to med school simply because their parents want them to, or they're trying to do this for someone else, or they're unsure. Well good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll have to agree.... I wore capri's and open toed shoes since the beginning. I have also worn sleeveless shirts and the like. Girls can wear just about everything stylish and be in code. And believe it or not, the dress code IS NOT THAT BAD..... No, I can't roll out of bed and put on rumpled-up jeans, but I can roll out of bed and put on khaki pants and a GAP T-shirt and head off to school. Bottom line, we look d@mn good ;) !!
Like Daisy who claims to be male (I don't know him/her) ;) , I truly like LECOM. The atmosphere is nice, people are friendly, profs are cool, school is immaculate and I really feel comfortable here. Don't let other people from other schools comment on LECOM... ask US. I'm sure Daisy, Doctortobee, Green912, Dr_sax, smgilles, raspberry swirl and all the other MS-I's that I've forgotten would be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have. You can also PM me. I like LECOM and so far, I like medical school as I passed my first Anatomy test and practical !! :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Kristen. The dress code for women is a JOKE.

I really don't know enough about LECOM to give anyone a well informed opinion. I'm a two-week MS-I. I can tell you about the back and some of the upper limb. Not too much else. Oh, and the zona pellucida.

Everyone seems nice, the class is meshing well and the profs for the most part are nice. I've met some REALLY nice people and I've met some people that annoy me already. Sorry if seem harsh-I'm in PBL and I feel like someone hit me in the head with a tack hammer(depending on what learning pathway you're in, you may have more work the first semester).

Me tired, go bed now.

Dr_Sax

Yeah... poor PBL'ers. I heard about your sucky situation yesterday! Well, off to watch a movie!

why? what was PBL's situation? I'm larry by the way...also will be running for class treasurer so vote for me! :)

Dr. Sax...

What's the "sucky situation" with PBL? PBL didn't really affect our lives last year until after gross anatomy. I have to say, I'm curious.

Are you Larry of LDP???? Where are you located in lecture Hall C? I wanna know who gets my ALL-IMPORTANT vote!!:D

There is no "pbl situation." I didn't say it, kristene did. :D

Dr_sax

Hey all!!!

Another LECOM MS1 checking in!

I really do love LECOM....It is such a great school with a wonderful atmosphere for learning. Guys do get the raw end of the deal with the dress code! For once, girls have it easier than guys!

The building itself is great. You could eat off the floors it's so clean. Why did they move the Sturgeon General into the atrium?

ANYWAY....yes it is a LOT of work....It's amazing how quickly the day goes by, but the week itself seems like a month! Really...I think sitting through 4 hours of lecture goes by very very quickly.

Any of ya heading to the lab this weekend? I came home to visit, but I"ll be there Sunday afternoon/evening!

Later!

DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU REALLY DESIRE TO BE A DOCTOR!!!
Everything "they" say about how busy you'll be in med-school is true. At least for the first few months during gross. And it looks like the MS II's are plenty busy also. When you do get in (or are already in) just remember that everyone around you is in the same boat and that the vast majority of people get through it. Maybe with an extra ulcer, but hey, nothing's perfect ;) .

I agree that the "being busy" does not end with MS-I. Yes, gross sucks and it will seem hard to get through, but as Green912 said, almost everyone makes it and then moves on to being busy in MS-II. In my opinion, MS-II was harder than MS-I. At least you are in the systems, so what you are studying is more interesting. But it is harder because you have studying for boards on top of studying for class. Everyone (well, almost everyone) makes it. Luckily almost everyone also makes it without forming any ulcers ;)

Hi everyone- another MS1 here! I have to agree with everyone so far. LECOM is a great place, and although there are little quirks about it, overall, I'm definitely enjoying myself. I will say this- any applicants who are still in undergrad, enjoy those years while you can. Although there is enough time to relax on the weekends, and maybe an hour or two here or there during the week, time just flies by- and its exhausting. I think someone earlier said that a week feels like a month- they're not kidding- I feel like the Gregoric Delineator test we took was ages ago, not a week and a half ago.

Good luck to all the applicants, and if you have any questions about the application process (cuz at this point, thats as much as I could tell you, only been here 2 weeks!), PM me.

Good luck too all you LECOMers! Oh- and if Dr. Dudas hasn't shown you the gang symbols to remember the brachial plexus, ask him in lab! It really helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctortobe: Always remember, although you CAN eat off the floors at Lecom, it's generally not recommended. I'm relatively sure that there is a rule against that somewhere.:D

Yeah, food can only be eaten off the floor of the cafeteria. No food can be taken to the floor outside the cafeteria. :D

Yeah, flashing medical student gang signs is cool!!! The only bad thing is that I have to think before I flash!!;)

Kristen,

Yes I am Larry of LDP...is there more than one? I'm nicely situated in the very last row of the lecture hall...with all the Independents. It way easier to stay awake up there, because there are actually lights that are still turned on. When I was in the second row in the front, I kept on passing out because it would be so dark I would imagine myself in my bedroom and then my head started going back and forth...I'm glad I have my anterior longitudinal ligament to keep me from hyperextension during one of my head jerks! Well too much fun this weekend...so off to bookstore! Later.

Originally posted by DOtobe
Yeah, food can only be eaten off the floor of the cafeteria. No food can be taken to the floor outside the cafeteria. :D

Ha, you guys are funny! And remember as well that if you did not purchase your food from the Nazi, do not ask for a napkin to wipe up the floor when you are finished. Better that others slip on the mess and fall, because napkins are expensive, damn it!

Originally posted by hermione
Ha, you guys are funny! And remember as well that if you did not purchase your food from the Nazi, do not ask for a napkin to wipe up the floor when you are finished. Better that others slip on the mess and fall, because napkins are expensive, damn it!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did anyone work full time, attend grad school/ finish up med school pre-reqs, and volunteer? I always hear about how busy everyone is in med school, but I honestly can not imagine that it's worse than what I'm doing now!!! I would love even one whole day off a week, or a vacation day! I'd love to hear from some non-traditional students.

I have to second that comment about enjoying undergrad - even working full time during undergrad, I often think about how I didn't appreciate the flexibility and all of the sleeping in:)

Did anyone work full time, attend grad school/ finish up med school pre-reqs, and volunteer? I always hear about how busy everyone is in med school, but I honestly can not imagine that it's worse than what I'm doing now!!! I would love even one whole day off a week, or a vacation day! I'd love to hear from some non-traditional students.

I have to second that comment about enjoying undergrad - even working full time during undergrad, I often think about how I didn't appreciate the flexibility and all of the sleeping in:)

Hi! This is what I am doing now too! I'm not in med school now, but will be attending LECOM next year. It is difficult trying to maintain all the work, volunteering, and then finishing up reqs in my "spare time". I'm excited about med school and it will be nice to just focus on one thing! Although saying this now doesn't mean I will feel this way in July!

Hey homies, I think you guys just revived a seven year old thread. Congrats!

yeah I saw that but the guy still deserves a response :)

Hey, I'm a girl! :) Congrats on the acceptance! Which pathway did you choose?

You bumped a 5 year old thread btw!
I'm fairly new to this and I'm not sure what bump means, but I replied to the thread because I wanted to save it to read later. Not sure how to save something to my watch list. Oops!

I'm fairly new to this and I'm not sure what bump means, but I replied to the thread because I wanted to save it to read later. Not sure how to save something to my watch list. Oops!

I'm sure newer threads would be better to read. One from 2003 and then 2010 probably won't have the most up to date info.