• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

smgilles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Rochester, MN
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
It's just one of many hurdles you will be required to jump through in LECOM land. If you don't do drugs or haven't done them in a while then I wouldn't sweat it.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
sodom, south georgia
LOL -

I can see the wisdom of a drug test, but for etoh? I guess they are a private university so they could require abstinance from drinking. To the best of my knowledge - which is admittedly limited - basic UA drug test can't detect etoh/metabolites unless you are currently under the influence. So maybe they could draw blood and hit it really hard by checking your ast/alt levels, to make sure you don't have a etoh abuse related ast elevation?

Or maybe there is something I don't know about piss test. Anyway, if you'd like I'll email the admissions office to ask specifically about alcohol test if you don't want to.

In any case, let me know what you find out.

Dave

About the Ads

sddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Rapid City, SD
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think that I was at a party drinking 3 nights before the "alcohol screen". I don't really think that it's a big deal. As far as Lecom students not drinking... well, that's pretty funny. ;) We know which bars open at 10 am!!!

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
sddoc said:
I think that I was at a party drinking 3 nights before the "alcohol screen". I don't really think that it's a big deal. As far as Lecom students not drinking... well, that's pretty funny. ;) We know which bars open at 10 am!!!
So I wonder why they require it.

DOrk

Digital Rectal Examiner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Erie, PA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LECOM requires the EtOH test just because they can. Spend a few weeks working for LECOM, Inc. and you'll underdstand what I mean. Just don't show up drunk for your blood draw.

BACMEDIC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2002
Pa
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What about the criminal background check, what are they looking for? I have some speeding tickets, will this go against me? (The tickets are over 10 years old).

smgilles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Rochester, MN
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
BACMEDIC said:
What about the criminal background check, what are they looking for? I have some speeding tickets, will this go against me? (The tickets are over 10 years old).

No, the speeding tickets will not count against you. I guess they want to make sure you aren't a serial killer. Also, make sure you contact the state yourself rather than relying on a internet company, otherwise they will not except the background check.

Like I said previously, these are just one of many small steps you will be required to go through in LECOM land.

DreamJob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Orlando
Status
Do you have to get the test done at any specific place? Do they get the results automatically or do you recieve them first.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can't believe LECOM has these sort of stringent rules. Particularly the alcohol...what are they hoping to find with THAT test? That you went out and partied the night before your tox screen?

Throw some powdered laundry detergent in the UA cup...really give them a puzzle to figure out...or some confectioners sugar...or Jello-O. ;)

bustbones26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldnt sweat any of this stuff. the criminal check is just to make sure you're not a rapist or child molester. Stupid stuff like parking tickets, etc. nobody cares! DUI's amybe!!!

drug test, obvious reason for it!

EtOH, well, I suppose I see their logic this way. As you all pointed out, you pretty much have to show up drunk to test positive for this test. And if you're stupid enough to do that, then I wouldn't accept you to my school either, lol.

But serisously, don't sweat it, its just part of their formality for getting accepted.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2002
NY
Visit site
Status
lol, I guess we shouldn't tell them about the OMM attendence policy and getting locked out of the room if we show up 5+ minutes late on OMM day...

just remember, it's only two years of your life, it's not like you're signing on to deal with this BS for the rest of your life. Grin and bear it...

About the Ads