Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

LECOM drug/alcohol screening

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by (nicedream), Apr 10, 2004.

1. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smgilles

smgilles Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's just one of many hurdles you will be required to jump through in LECOM land. If you don't do drugs or haven't done them in a while then I wouldn't sweat it.

4. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

LOL -

I can see the wisdom of a drug test, but for etoh? I guess they are a private university so they could require abstinance from drinking. To the best of my knowledge - which is admittedly limited - basic UA drug test can't detect etoh/metabolites unless you are currently under the influence. So maybe they could draw blood and hit it really hard by checking your ast/alt levels, to make sure you don't have a etoh abuse related ast elevation?

Or maybe there is something I don't know about piss test. Anyway, if you'd like I'll email the admissions office to ask specifically about alcohol test if you don't want to.

In any case, let me know what you find out.

Dave

5. sddoc

sddoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that I was at a party drinking 3 nights before the "alcohol screen". I don't really think that it's a big deal. As far as Lecom students not drinking... well, that's pretty funny. ;) We know which bars open at 10 am!!!

6. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

So I wonder why they require it.

7. DOrk

DOrk Digital Rectal Examiner
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LECOM requires the EtOH test just because they can. Spend a few weeks working for LECOM, Inc. and you'll underdstand what I mean. Just don't show up drunk for your blood draw.

8. BACMEDIC

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What about the criminal background check, what are they looking for? I have some speeding tickets, will this go against me? (The tickets are over 10 years old).

9. smgilles

smgilles Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

No, the speeding tickets will not count against you. I guess they want to make sure you aren't a serial killer. Also, make sure you contact the state yourself rather than relying on a internet company, otherwise they will not except the background check.

Like I said previously, these are just one of many small steps you will be required to go through in LECOM land.

10. DreamJob

DreamJob Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you have to get the test done at any specific place? Do they get the results automatically or do you recieve them first.

11. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't believe LECOM has these sort of stringent rules. Particularly the alcohol...what are they hoping to find with THAT test? That you went out and partied the night before your tox screen?

Throw some powdered laundry detergent in the UA cup...really give them a puzzle to figure out...or some confectioners sugar...or Jello-O. ;)

12. bustbones26

bustbones26 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldnt sweat any of this stuff. the criminal check is just to make sure you're not a rapist or child molester. Stupid stuff like parking tickets, etc. nobody cares! DUI's amybe!!!

drug test, obvious reason for it!

EtOH, well, I suppose I see their logic this way. As you all pointed out, you pretty much have to show up drunk to test positive for this test. And if you're stupid enough to do that, then I wouldn't accept you to my school either, lol.

But serisously, don't sweat it, its just part of their formality for getting accepted.

13. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

lol, I guess we shouldn't tell them about the OMM attendence policy and getting locked out of the room if we show up 5+ minutes late on OMM day...

just remember, it's only two years of your life, it's not like you're signing on to deal with this BS for the rest of your life. Grin and bear it...