LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRod72

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome LECOM-Erie class of 2014!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, where is everyone from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm coming for California.

I'm coming from good ol' Binghamton Ny...

Out of curiosity, who is PBL at Erie. I would like to know who I will be meeting in the near future?

I'm from Staten Island, NY and am ISP

I am in the PBL in Erie and I am from Arkansas.

Does anyone know if we need to start sending our information (shots, transcripts, background checks, ect.) now or are we to wait for a later date? I don't want to send information early and get lost nor do I want to wait too late to fix any problems I may come across.

I'm in the LDP pathway coming from Pennsylvania. I live like an hour from the school right now. I don't think we have to start sending things in like official transcripts and immunization records until the spring. I can't imagine them needing them any sooner since they'll keep on interviewing and offering acceptances through the first part of 2010.

I'm in the LDP pathway coming from Pennsylvania. I live like an hour from the school right now. I don't think we have to start sending things in like official transcripts and immunization records until the spring. I can't imagine them needing them any sooner since they'll keep on interviewing and offering acceptances through the first part of 2010.

I think February will be the first time to start sending stuff in

Hey everyone.... I'm coming from Syracuse, NY area..... LDP right now... very excited and nervous all in one!! :) Good to meet you guys!

Does anyone know when orientation is and when the first day of class starts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I went shopping for a winter coat and a winter car....Wish me luck!!! The most snow I've seen in my life was 4 inches. Then it melted in two days. I think I'm in for a surprise!!!!!

Today I went shopping for a winter coat and a winter car....Wish me luck!!! The most snow I've seen in my life was 4 inches. Then it melted in two days. I think I'm in for a surprise!!!!!

lmao Goodluck! Yea I'm afraid of the snow, what kind of car were you looking at? I just got a new car 3 months ago but I don't think it's going to fare well in the snow:(

lmao Goodluck! Yea I'm afraid of the snow, what kind of car were you looking at? I just got a new car 3 months ago but I don't think it's going to fare well in the snow:(
It's all about the snow tires. Throw a nice set on just about any car, and you'll do just fine getting around in-town in Northwest PA (Might have some troubles with a RWD vehicle unless you load the trunk with sandbags and take it easy.) I have yet to have problems up here with any of my vehicles, but my AWD Subaru with snow tires performed the best by far (I'm driving a FWD Toyota now, and it does just fine once I put my winter wheels with Blizzaks on it.)

Thanks

I think that is only for the masters program students

I thought that it was only for postbacc as well, but on the tour I was told they were moving PBL over there and keeping the PBL rooms at the main campus for study. Maybe I just heard wrong, my mind was racing 1,000 mph anyway.

I thought that it was only for postbacc as well, but on the tour I was told they were moving PBL over there and keeping the PBL rooms at the main campus for study. Maybe I just heard wrong, my mind was racing 1,000 mph anyway.

This is from LECOM's website so unless they have decided to change, I would go by this: http://www.lecom.edu/exp_communities.php

"LECOM has added a new bayfront campus. The college purchased a former corporate office building located alongside Presque Isle Bay. LECOM will use the bayfront campus for the Master of Education in Medical Education and the proposed Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences. The Lake Erie Consortium for Osteopathic Medical Training, LECOM's post-graduate training program will have offices at the new campus building."

It's all about the snow tires. Throw a nice set on just about any car, and you'll do just fine getting around in-town in Northwest PA (Might have some troubles with a RWD vehicle unless you load the trunk with sandbags and take it easy.) I have yet to have problems up here with any of my vehicles, but my AWD Subaru with snow tires performed the best by far (I'm driving a FWD Toyota now, and it does just fine once I put my winter wheels with Blizzaks on it.)

I'll have to invest in some snow tires then, maybe in an apartment with a garage too lol

I'll have to invest in some snow tires then, maybe in an apartment with a garage too lol
Yeah - I'm definitely finding a place with a garage or a carport. Removing two feet of snow from on and around your vehicle in below freezing temperatures is the worst (I had to park outside of my parents' place all through high school...) I can only imagine how much worse it would be at 7:00AM whilst dressed in business attire for class that day...

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group yet?

I read last years thread where the 2013 class met at the park and had an informal orientation a week or two before the real orientation. I think that is a great idea. I know it is early but I thought I would bring it up anyways.

Well, I know it is a while before we start classes together but that doesn't change how excited I am for starting medical school at my top choice!!!!!

I have had good luck so far with winter jackets but changing cars is going to be a pain!!!! I am torn between trading my new rear-wheel drive car in for a new front wheel drive/ four wheel drive car or get a used winter car and hope it makes it!!!!

I have had good luck so far with winter jackets but changing cars is going to be a pain!!!! I am torn between trading my new rear-wheel drive car in for a new front wheel drive/ four wheel drive car or get a used winter car and hope it makes it!!!!
Any car registered in PA has to be inspected yearly, so if you plan to buy a winter beater car, make sure it's one that's in fairly good condition. They'll check pretty much all the basics for the inspection, and if your car fails, you can't drive it here until you get it repaired and have it reinspected (The ticket for an uninspected vehicle is almost $200 when all is said and done.) I know for a fact they'll check break wear on the pads and rotors, your tires have to have at least 4/32 for tread depth, there can be no exhaust or fuel leaks, all the lights and other necessary electronics have to work, and the body/frame can't be considered a hazard (I had an old Celica that wouldn't pass because the floor was starting to rust.) Some counties require emissions testing too, so the muffler and catalytic converter have to be in good working order as well (I'm pretty sure residents of Erie are required to pass the emissions tests.) Just some things to consider now before you make any decisions. Owning a beater car in PA is such a hassle...

I know that you send in the Address Form along with the deposit, but do you also send in the Matriculation Agreement form as well?

It doesn't specify on the acceptance letter that the Matriculation Agreement needs to be sent in, but there is a name/signature portion at the end.

I know that you send in the Address Form along with the deposit, but do you also send in the Matriculation Agreement form as well?

It doesn't specify on the acceptance letter that the Matriculation Agreement needs to be sent in, but there is a name/signature portion at the end.
I sent mine in.

Thanks. I made a copy of it and sent it in as well.

Well, I didn't.... Hmmm. I just followed their directions on what they required to turn in for now. I figured that the list was for us to follow and once we completed it we signed and mailed it. There is no set deadline that I have come across yet and that is why I asked if they wanted this information (medical records, background check, physical, this form, ect.) now or at a later date. The admissions committee has yet to contact me about not sending the form. Any ideas?

Thanks. I made a copy of it and sent it in as well.

If you log in to the website with the password&username they gave us they actually have a checklist of what we need to submit, like the one we had for our interview. They have everything we need to do there. Even though I sent in the matriculation agreement it says it's still missing so I'll just wait till they contact me.

If you log in to the website with the password&username they gave us they actually have a checklist of what we need to submit, like the one we had for our interview. They have everything we need to do there. Even though I sent in the matriculation agreement it says it's still missing so I'll just wait till they contact me.

I don't believe that the website checklist gets updated frequently.

What's the link to check what you need to send in after acceptance?

I sent in my check last Thursday but they haven't deposited it yet. Due date is this Friday. Should I call? I can never seem to get a hold of anyone at admission!

What's the link to check what you need to send in after acceptance?

I sent in my check last Thursday but they haven't deposited it yet. Due date is this Friday. Should I call? I can never seem to get a hold of anyone at admission!
It took them almost a month to do anything with my check. Don't use it as an indicator as to whether or not they've received it. Your best bet is to call and ask, or check the online portal (It's the same place that you completed your secondary - Use the username/password they emailed you.)

It took them almost a month to do anything with my check. Don't use it as an indicator as to whether or not they've received it. Your best bet is to call and ask, or check the online portal (It's the same place that you completed your secondary - Use the username/password they emailed you.)

Just got off the phone with them and they received it. :thumbup:

I switched from PBL-Erie to LDP as well, so hopefully someone (have they started waitlists for this pathway already?) from sdn will get my spot!

Out of curiosity, who is PBL at Erie. I would like to know who I will be meeting in the near future?

I am coming from Jefferson, Ohio (just across the border) and I am on PBL

I talked to AMY and she said they won't start your file until you send the matriculation form in, too.

Just got accepted to LDP, not sure if I am picking erie over kc

Got into PBL today, parents seem a bit concerned, but unless I get into a significantly better school, im at LECOM. Coming from Buffalo, NY

I talked to AMY and she said they won't start your file until you send the matriculation form in, too.

Thank you for posting that answer!!!!! I'm sending mine tonight!!!

Why did they move this thread?

Why did they move this thread?
Probably because we're technically medical students now that we've been accepted and most of us have placed deposits to hold our spot. We just haven't started yet.

Got into PBL today, parents seem a bit concerned, but unless I get into a significantly better school, im at LECOM. Coming from Buffalo, NY

Wow I have to say I am taking this as a serious diss knowing that LECOM is in the top 5 for board pass rates...Bradenton had a 100% pass rate this last year...

Well from all of us that WANT to go to LECOM, Here's hoping you get into a "Significantly Better School".....

Reactions: 1 user

Are you going to Binghamton University? I went there for undergrad and I miss it

I am in the PBL in Erie and I am from Arkansas.

Does anyone know if we need to start sending our information (shots, transcripts, background checks, ect.) now or are we to wait for a later date? I don't want to send information early and get lost nor do I want to wait too late to fix any problems I may come across.

Shots, background checks, transcripts weren't required to send in till spring time, so I wouldn't worry about it too much right now

Does anyone know when orientation is and when the first day of class starts?

Last monday of July, it's been the same for the past two years

I drive a 2002 Nissan Sentra and haven't had any problems driving in the snow here. They plow the streets pretty well, so don't go crazy on a car if you don't have to. Probably don't even need a new car unless it's falling apart

Congrats! PBL for me. I never even got to tour the bay building!

Despite what the website says, all PBL sessions have been moved to the bayfront. Landmark square is a apartment community that's about 5 min away from the bayfront building for you PBL students.

Ok back to HEME/ONC