LECOM - Erie Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntsMarching44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the acceptances roll in, thought it might be worth starting our own class thread!

Members don't see this ad.

OH YES! Bring on the class of 2016 :)

I will be at the Seton Hill campus doing PBL

OH YES! Bring on the class of 2016 :)

I will be at the Seton Hill campus doing PBL

That's awesome. I'll be up in Erie doing PBL...I'm very excited I got accepted to that program. PBL sounds like the way to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in Erie doing the LDP.

Anyone else think it's nice that we know this early?

I'll be in Erie doing the LDP.

Anyone else think it's nice that we know this early?

Its a huge load off, but at the same time I'm getting anxious to actually start medical school!

I'm from upstate NY, about 4 hours from Erie. Therefore, I am already accustomed to the lovely winter weather.

Although I suppose it doesn't really matter what the weather is like when we're face deep in textbooks, huh?

I'm from upstate NY, about 4 hours from Erie. Therefore, I am already accustomed to the lovely winter weather.

Although I suppose it doesn't really matter what the weather is like when we're face deep in textbooks, huh?

Yeah no kidding. I saw that the yearly average snowfall for Erie is around 100 inches per year. I'm from Seattle so I'm more accustomed to about 2-4 inches of snow per winter......

Congratulations to everyone! I'm accepted into Erie PBL. Are any of you guys still waiting to hear back from other schools?

Hello and Congrats to all of you for getting accepted! I am a 2nd year and will be moving to Pittsburg in May to start my rotations. I own a 4 bedroom house in Erie, about 10 min from the main campus and 3 min from the PBL campus. I currently have two 1st yr ISP students (female) living here and I am looking for a 3rd female to move in this summer. The rent is $300/month and that includes everything! (room, heat, cable/internet, water, garbage) The apartments near the school go quickly and there is often a very long waitlist to get into them, plus they are pricey. If you are interested, please email me at: [email protected]
Thanks!

I was accepted, and if I am not accepted to SOMA, this is where I'll be attending... Not sure what to do about housing... houses are SO cheap in this area... it's sad really... but I could pay the thing off in less than 10 years!

I was accepted, and if I am not accepted to SOMA, this is where I'll be attending... Not sure what to do about housing... houses are SO cheap in this area... it's sad really... but I could pay the thing off in less than 10 years!

I know. It's crazy. I'm from the Seattle area where you can't even buy a trailer for as much as some of these 5 bedroom homes are selling for in Erie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg. If sb attends I'm gonna have a liberal in my class AHHHH lol
Anyways what's up class of 2016. I'm so pumped to be going here but I am anxious. Fall can't come soon enough.

I know this is super early but anybody know when the white coat ceremony is?

Omg. If sb attends I'm gonna have a liberal in my class AHHHH lol
Anyways what's up class of 2016. I'm so pumped to be going here but I am anxious. Fall can't come soon enough.

I know this is super early but anybody know when the white coat ceremony is?

Well, I was wait-listed at SOMA. So, I'm sending my deposit in on Monday. I am looking for housing now because I want to have an idea of costs and whatnot. Anyone know where the PBL location is? I'm accepted as a PBL student, and I'd like to be near there, or between the two campuses. Anyone know anything?

So excited to see there is a group for this =) I'll be in Erie this summer too doing LDP

WOOP WOOP!!! For LECOM 2016! I was just accepted this past weekend. Anyone looking into the PCSP?

I was, until I found out you can only do your residency in like 5 places. That was a deal breaker for me. Honestly, I think I am going to go into IM, because I've decided I don't want to work with kids, and I really don't think I want to do any OB/Gyn work either... we'll see of course but... Unless you want to do your residency in one of a few places, reconsider the PCSP

Also, I changed the FB group to be all-inclusive... :)

I was, until I found out you can only do your residency in like 5 places. That was a deal breaker for me. Honestly, I think I am going to go into IM, because I've decided I don't want to work with kids, and I really don't think I want to do any OB/Gyn work either... we'll see of course but... Unless you want to do your residency in one of a few places, reconsider the PCSP

Totally didnt know that! Thanks for the heads up.. I'll have to look more into it. I want to do peds :) but who knows what will happen.

I didn't know either until I did some digging. They said that the reason you have to do the residency at certain places is because those places are willing to take you with the shorter curriculum. They said basically because they removed rotations other residency programs would possibly not accept you thinking you didn't complete the requirements...

WOOP WOOP!!! For LECOM 2016! I was just accepted this past weekend. Anyone looking into the PCSP?
Hey guys. I was accepted last month and didn't see this group till now. Congrats to everyone. And yes, I was accepted in the PCSP at LECOM Erie. Are you in the program too?

Oh.....do you happen to know where those 5 residency sites are located? Where did you find this information? Thanks!

Hey guys. I was accepted last month and didn't see this group till now. Congrats to everyone. And yes, I was accepted in the PCSP at LECOM Erie. Are you in the program too?

Yup! I am a little nervous about it but I think it would be very beneficial considering I know for sure that I want to go into primary care. I didn't realize that we would be accepted into the PCSP right away, I was under the impression that we had to interview to get into it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yup! I am a little nervous about it but I think it would be very beneficial considering I know for sure that I want to go into primary care. I didn't realize that we would be accepted into the PCSP right away, I was under the impression that we had to interview to get into it. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, I was also under the same impression at the interview. Thought we would be getting into the program later on. But, do you know where I could find information about the residency program options if I do this program. Thanks!

If you're on FB, I posted what I believe to be them in there... I believe based on what I read on the website, that they are the same hospitals you do your clinicals at, or hospitals affiliated with those sites.

For those of you who are not aware or have not done so yet, please go to http://www.capwiz.com/aacom/issues/a...983501&type=CO and type in your name and info so your voice is heard. Your future as a physician is on the line as the super committee is trying to cut the funding for residency programs in half, which means you have a good chance at not getting into one. They are meeting on 11/23/11 so act fast!

For those of you who are not aware or have not done so yet, please go to http://www.capwiz.com/aacom/issues/a...983501&type=CO and type in your name and info so your voice is heard. Your future as a physician is on the line as the super committee is trying to cut the funding for residency programs in half, which means you have a good chance at not getting into one. They are meeting on 11/23/11 so act fast!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: It only takes a moment!

Hey guys,

what made you guys choose LECOM-E? I am going to be in LDP if I decide to matriculate here. I am debating between here and KCUMB.

Does anyone know that Lake-Erie allows applicants to apply while still have some pre-requisites in progress?

Yes, you will have to sign a contingency letter and provide evidence that you completed the classes before matriculation.

Congrats to all those accepted... I'm almost done with 4th year at LECOM Erie it's been a trip. Can't say that I envy the work you'll have to do but good luck to you.

Congrats to all those accepted... I'm almost done with 4th year at LECOM Erie it's been a trip. Can't say that I envy the work you'll have to do but good luck to you.
I don't think anyone envies med students except those of us wishing we were already in our 4th year... I certainly wish I could be done this year.... but...... instead I'll graduate at 40...

Don't worry. I have a friend who is in her 50's with grand kids. And myself I'll be 32 when I finish. You aren't alone in being older and starting school

Hey everybody! I'm still on the fence but I think I'm coming to LECOM Erie for PBL! I'm trying to decide between Erie and Bradenton, and maybe AZCOM. Anyone have any thoughts on these three?

Last edited:
It depends on what you want. Bradenton>Erie, but I'm not sure how you feel about LECOM vs AZCOM... There are pros and cons to both...

It depends on what you want. Bradenton>Erie, but I'm not sure how you feel about LECOM vs AZCOM... There are pros and cons to both...

Yeah, I think I've ruled AZCOM out, mostly because of the schedule that PBL allows. More free time means more time with my wife and our new baby! Out of curiosity, any other parents coming to LECOM next year?

Sent my deposit in earlier this week. Will be going here unless I get off the waitlist at OU.

That is something I have thought about too Aslan. I've really been thinking about it, but I'm starting to be more happy with the LECOM setup, especially being able to go where ever for rotations...

I have my interview at 01/27. Is it too late for an admission? I see a lot of people are getting in and my interview is still a month away.

I have my interview at 01/27. Is it too late for an admission? I see a lot of people are getting in and my interview is still a month away.

This should be posted in the pre-osteo application thread. This is the thread for people who are accepted and planning to attend LECOM-Erie...

I have no idea how many spots are left

Four years ago I didn't submit my application until late December and didn't interview until march. Now I'm just counting down to graduation. So yes there are still spots left. Good luck.

I was accepted to LECOM Erie, NOVA and Bradenton. After a whole lot of though I finally settled on Erie. Looking forward to finally getting this thing started.

Tell me what you guys think about buying a home rather than renting during medical school in Erie? I have enough cash to buy the home outright. The only negative I can think of is the occasional work I would have to put into maintaining a house.

Tell me what you guys think about buying a home rather than renting during medical school in Erie? I have enough cash to buy the home outright. The only negative I can think of is the occasional work I would have to put into maintaining a house.
Are you going to stay in Erie? If not (and you probably won't) then I wouldn't buy a house. You'll be in Erie for 2 years for preclinical and then you'll head out for rotations. It would be nice to own a house but when you move can you sell it for at least what you paid for it? In this market probably not, In all honesty you'll probably even lose money in the deal. Just rent, it'll be easier on you to not have to worry about selling when the time comes and having to maintain the house while you are there. You want time to study and have fun, you'll have plenty of time in the future to own a house so don't worry about it now.

As a 4th year I knew a few people who owned houses in Erie and when rotations came around they found it difficult to sell the house because they weren't staying in the area.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your help. What area is a good place to rent if not Erie? Is Erie a bad neighborhood?

I wouldn't buy either. I rent from Pastore and it has be a good experience. Never have any problems and they are really quick to fix things. You can walk to class too! The only bad things are they don't really like dishes, animals, or smokers.

I had a friend who had a hard time selling his place in Erie when he went West for residency.