LECOM ERIE or LECOM FLORIDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazygirlly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey... I was accepted to both Erie (ISP Pathway) and Florida (PBL Pathway) and am torn between both schools. I know that they have the same name, but which school would you attend if you were in my shoes? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

krazygirlly said:
Hey... I was accepted to both Erie (ISP Pathway) and Florida (PBL Pathway) and am torn between both schools. I know that they have the same name, but which school would you attend if you were in my shoes? Please help!
With the PBL Pathway - combined with Florida's weather and proximity to beaches and Miami (granted you're not gonna have THAT much free time, but still you'll have some free time) - I'd be bookin my ticket to Bradenton right now if I had to choose between the two.

OnMyWayThere said:
With the PBL Pathway - combined with Florida's weather and proximity to beaches and Miami (granted you're not gonna have THAT much free time, but still you'll have some free time) - I'd be bookin my ticket to Bradenton right now if I had to choose between the two.

I agree, but one thing to consider is how centralized your rotations will be at either school (unless you don't mind travelling around abit, or see this as an advantage). I don't know about this (maybe a lecom-b student will chime in) but I would take this into consideration. otherwise, the fla. weather is unbeatable and the facilities at lecom-b look awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
both are good choices. personally if you can mind the weather, erie may be a better choice in that many of the clinical sites are within its relative area.

As an MSI here, many developments have occured b/w LECOM-B and Florida hospitals. LECOM-B has developed relations with many of the Florida hospitals not only around the Tampa area but in Venice, Punta Gorda, West Palm, Arcadia, and Ft. Meyers. Additionally, we are in the process of getting 11 more hospitals in Florida added to our rotations including one's in Orlando, more in St. Petersburg, Pensacola and Largo, just to name a few. This list is only expected to increase in the next few years, in hopes of keeping medical grads in the state of Florida (the #'s of doc's are decreasing). Furthermore, LECOM-B has all the rotations that LECOM-Erie has; after all, LECOM-B is just a branch of the LECOM-Erie campus.
In conclusion, if are worried about traveling around during rotations in the 3rd and 4th years, it's true that you would probably want to hit up LECOM-Erie IF you like PA (as a majority of rotations are in PA)...if not, the proximity and locations of a variety of hospitals in florida associated with (along with those in development) LECOM-Bradenton could be a positive experience.

I'm prefer the weather to be cool, so I chose Erie. I don't like sweating except for doing manly work, exercise, and other stuff. :p

Last edited:
As far as rotations are concerned, all LECOM students will have access to all LECOM rotations...at least that is how I understand it. My roommate is doing all of her MS3 rotations in FL

Something that nobody has mentioned is PBL vs. ISP... there is a difference, and you should probably factor that into your decision.

I'm an M1 at LECOM-Bradenton and the best thing honestly about the school is the faculty. At first they seem unapproach able but that couldn't be further from the truth. They do ANY and EVERYTHING possible to help you or just talk about how ya doing. Its a real lovely thing.
PBL takes some getting use to at first (assuming u came from a normal lecture based college) and requires alot of outside reading (mad time consuming, but what med schools not), but i really feel it is the most beneficial pathway. You learn the material on a much deeper level than i ever did in a lecture based class ( which Anatomy is here, and is just sick at getting u ready for the boards). Yo plus, being by the beach and being done by 12 most days is a killa combo.

DeChellD said:
I'm an M1 at LECOM-Bradenton and the best thing honestly about the school is the faculty. At first they seem unapproach able but that couldn't be further from the truth. They do ANY and EVERYTHING possible to help you or just talk about how ya doing. Its a real lovely thing.
PBL takes some getting use to at first (assuming u came from a normal lecture based college) and requires alot of outside reading (mad time consuming, but what med schools not), but i really feel it is the most beneficial pathway. You learn the material on a much deeper level than i ever did in a lecture based class ( which Anatomy is here, and is just sick at getting u ready for the boards). Yo plus, being by the beach and being done by 12 most days is a killa combo.[/QUOTE

shaggy411 said:
DeChellD said:
PBL takes some getting use to at first (assuming u came from a normal lecture based college) and requires alot of outside reading (mad time consuming, but what med schools not), but i really feel it is the most beneficial pathway. You learn the material on a much deeper level than i ever did in a lecture based class ( which Anatomy is here, and is just sick at getting u ready for the boards). Yo plus, being by the beach and being done by 12 most days is a killa combo.[/QUOTE

So KrazyGirl where did you decide?

thank you all for you input... i decided on Erie for a few reasons (even though I absolutely loved Florida)... as far as distance is concerned, erie is much closer... lecom-b's.... please don't take this the wrong way! i know that lecom erie and lecom b are the same school, but for some reason, lecom erie was much harder to get into... i was wait listed first and then got in later... i decided on erie because it was a little more competitive to gain an acceptance letter, alot of the rotation sites are in Pa, and lecom-erie has been around for over 10 years... i guess i would be more comfortable in a more established school... i was also torn between the isp and the pbl pathways... ultimately, i decided that isp and pbl were similar, but my study styles are more compatible to isp.... lecom-b is an excellent school and i was extremely comfortable there... i really did love it there and the pbl program... but with all things in consideration, i also was a little hesitant about being the second class for the school...

dpw68 said:
I'm prefer the weather to be cool, so I chose Erie. I don't like sweating except for doing manly work, exercise, and other stuff I won't mention. :p

haha, "cool" is definitely an understatement. just wait.
I'm lecom-erie, isp. See some of you there?

gujuDoc said:
Bradenton has its own set of beaches. But if you are thinking Bradenton = close to Miami, THINK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in Bradenton, 15 minutes south of the new DO school, and I'm gonna tell you it is a 4-5 hour drive to South Beach.

i can get to south beach in 3 hours flat. 3.5 if theres traffic. however it takes me nearly an hour to get to school from downtown sarasota during tourism season!!! damn tourists.
and oh yea sarasota and bradenton has nice beaches too. just too many old people.

Verbatim81 said:
i can get to south beach in 3 hours flat. 3.5 if theres traffic. however it takes me nearly an hour to get to school from downtown sarasota during tourism season!!! damn tourists.
and oh yea sarasota and bradenton has nice beaches too. just too many old people.

What do you consider old? You might be surprised how quickly your opinion of old changes.

meh! i've grew up 25 miles east of erie and went to highschool there. If you're not from buffalo or anywhere along the coast of lake erie from there to cleveland, prepare to get your socks knocked off! especially if you're not used to snow, we get SOOOOOOOOOOOO much of it. its not called Dreery Erie for nothin'!!!! I think the city is super boring, but that could be because i spent many aimless high school nights driving about and doing "nothing" with my friends. I guess everyone hates their hometown when compared to somewhere new and exciting, i'ld take FLORIDA anyday over erie :cool:

My Fe-Lung said:
meh! i've grew up 25 miles east of erie and went to highschool there. If you're not from buffalo or anywhere along the coast of lake erie from there to cleveland, prepare to get your socks knocked off! especially if you're not used to snow, we get SOOOOOOOOOOOO much of it. its not called Dreery Erie for nothin'!!!! I think the city is super boring, but that could be because i spent many aimless high school nights driving about and doing "nothing" with my friends. I guess everyone hates their hometown when compared to somewhere new and exciting, i'ld take FLORIDA anyday over erie :cool:

Couldn't be no different than the snow we get in Wisconsin,Northern Indiana, Chicago and Michigan. The snow would definately not be a factor if it were me!

Old Man Rich said:
What do you consider old? You might be surprised how quickly your opinion of old changes.

well anyone over 40 is old to me.. but in this case.. old refers to the geriatric population, gray hair, wrinkles, drive lincoln town cars, early bird specials, you get the idea...

Verbatim81 said:
well anyone over 40 is old to me.. but in this case.. old refers to the geriatric population, gray hair, wrinkles, drive lincoln town cars, early bird specials, you get the idea...

I still have a ways to get to 40, but if you think anyone over 40 is old, you need more healthcare exposure! :D Your view of who is old will definately change when you hit residency.

I know what you mean though. It seems like many over the senior citizens retire and golf in Florida during the winter months. I knew exactly what you were talking about.