LECOM-Erie Rotations vs NSU Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gem415

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone could help me out with this it would be great. I'm looking at NSU and LECOM-Erie. I've been doing research on both of the schools and their rotations, but hearing from an actual student would be great. After talking to one of my friends who is currently in his 3rd year he told me that he has rotations in New York, Jersey, and well as another state causing him to move quite frequently. To me this just seems like a hassle. If anyone can let me know about their experience (ease of getting their preferred rotation, process, affiliated hospitals, other stats, etc) about either of these schools that would be awesome or any other information not related to rotations. I've already paid a deposit for NSU and am wondering if I should bother with LECOM, I know that they have new updated facilities into which they've poured a lot of money into, but rotations are also an important part to consider for me. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could be of more help here, but as a first year, i'm pretty unconcerned with the rotation process at the moment. I do know that NSU takes into account where you want to be, if you have a family, if you own a house (like I do...which would make moving around REALLY difficult for me). I know we have spots at broward general and memorial (because I have friends that are going there). I can dig into it more for you tomorrow at school :)

At Erie you can move around if you want or you can stay in one general area. But there are mandatories to be covered so there's a possibility you'd have to do 1 or 2 somewhere else (however they are all in the Erie area).

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding and going from memory:

NSU Rotations
  • Requires a rural medicine component (3 months) during Y3 rotations
  • Electives available in Y4

LECOM
  • Requires a rural medicine requirement (1 month) (when?)
  • Electives available in Y3

Can anyone else confirm this? In particular, that NSU can't do a selective until Y4??

Thanks!

Last edited:
LECOM does have a pretty good selection of rotation sites, however they do require quite a few mandatory spots be filled. This is generally not a huge problem because they try to mix up the groups so that there are only a few students going to each state and some staying in Erie. This year each student was (for the most part) required to fill at least 2 rotation sites (I got 3 and I know there were a handful of students that only took 1).
They do have housing at most mandatory sites that you are not required to pay for so that's a pro. Good luck everyone!

LECOM does have a pretty good selection of rotation sites, however they do require quite a few mandatory spots be filled. This is generally not a huge problem because they try to mix up the groups so that there are only a few students going to each state and some staying in Erie. This year each student was (for the most part) required to fill at least 2 rotation sites (I got 3 and I know there were a handful of students that only took 1).
They do have housing at most mandatory sites that you are not required to pay for so that's a pro. Good luck everyone!

Have you, or anyone you know, run into any trouble with the whole LECOM not paying rotation sites thing?

Have you, or anyone you know, run into any trouble with the whole LECOM not paying rotation sites thing?

NO, LECOM has a huge rotation list that has been in place for a long time. You can choose to just do affiliated sites or you can go out on your own for electives and do your own thing. If you do your own thing then you have to do all the paperwork yourself and find your own housing.

There were people in my class who actually went home for the last 2 yrs of school and set up all their own rotations.

Because I have a family I did most of my rotations in Erie but during the summer months I did rotations in Las Vegas, Albuquerque, and Fairbanks, Alaska.

LECOM has so many students now that as long as you have a rotation they really don't care where you are. But like the others said, there are certain rotation sites that have to be filled each month by a LECOM student. When I went there we had 17 students per rotation group and each student took 2 manditory rotations so it would all be fair - I was group leader so I was very strict about this. It all worked out and really there was maybe one student who was unhappy with one rotation they had to fill.

I did my rural rotation in Alaska but you can do it in PA if you want. It just depends on how motivated you are to do something cool.

NO, LECOM has a huge rotation list that has been in place for a long time. You can choose to just do affiliated sites or you can go out on your own for electives and do your own thing. If you do your own thing then you have to do all the paperwork yourself and find your own housing.

There were people in my class who actually went home for the last 2 yrs of school and set up all their own rotations.

Because I have a family I did most of my rotations in Erie but during the summer months I did rotations in Las Vegas, Albuquerque, and Fairbanks, Alaska.

LECOM has so many students now that as long as you have a rotation they really don't care where you are. But like the others said, there are certain rotation sites that have to be filled each month by a LECOM student. When I went there we had 17 students per rotation group and each student took 2 manditory rotations so it would all be fair - I was group leader so I was very strict about this. It all worked out and really there was maybe one student who was unhappy with one rotation they had to fill.

I did my rural rotation in Alaska but you can do it in PA if you want. It just depends on how motivated you are to do something cool.

Does anyone know how wasy this is to do. I am from the DC metro area and would like to match there for residency. How much paper work and hassle is it for me to set up all of my rotations in that area? Is this even possible or do I still have to do some LECOM mandatories? Do hospitals make it easy for students to set up rotations? Thanks for your help!

You would most likely not be able to do all your rotations in that area since most rotations need to be done at 'core affiliates' of which there aren't any in d.c. The rotation site list is large, but many sites don't offer all rotations for students and with the influx of 100+ students next year from seton hill, the Outlook might not be all that great. Bottom line, you will likely end up back in the Erie area at least once or twice during 3rd and 4th year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You would most likely not be able to do all your rotations in that area since most rotations need to be done at 'core affiliates' of which there aren't any in d.c. The rotation site list is large, but many sites don't offer all rotations for students and with the influx of 100+ students next year from seton hill, the Outlook might not be all that great. Bottom line, you will likely end up back in the Erie area at least once or twice during 3rd and 4th year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Is there an up to date list of affiliates somewhere? What about doing all/most rotations in Philly are there any affiliates there?

When i applied to LECOM (c/o 2014) they gave us a LONG list of "lecom rotation sites" at my interview.... now at the end of our first year, we find out that many of those are not actually open to lecom- SETON HILL students, just 'lecom' students in general (goodbye, florida!).

I know some of our class would not have come to LECOM if they had known we would not be able to go to many of these places, or that we would have to do two "mandatories" places nobody wants to go...
thanks lecom.

Is there an up to date list of affiliates somewhere? What about doing all/most rotations in Philly are there any affiliates there?

You couldn't do all of them in Philly - the list of affiliates changes every year, but there are some rotations for which we had no places in Philly this year (psych, I think, and maybe obgyn?). Also, as angeliz172 says, almost everyone has to do ~3 mandatory rotations, most of which are in Erie.

Does anyone know how wasy this is to do. I am from the DC metro area and would like to match there for residency. How much paper work and hassle is it for me to set up all of my rotations in that area? Is this even possible or do I still have to do some LECOM mandatories? Do hospitals make it easy for students to set up rotations? Thanks for your help!

Yes, you will still have to take 2 of the mandatory sites for rotations. Everyone does to make it fair for all those in your rotation group. If you want to go to DC it will be up to you to sign up for rotations there at whatever hospital you are looking at for residency. Once you do that and have acceptance confirmed then the rotations office will send the paperwork for malpractice coverage, etc. You will have to set up your own housing as well. It's really up to you.

When i applied to LECOM (c/o 2014) they gave us a LONG list of "lecom rotation sites" at my interview.... now at the end of our first year, we find out that many of those are not actually open to lecom- SETON HILL students, just 'lecom' students in general (goodbye, florida!).

I know some of our class would not have come to LECOM if they had known we would not be able to go to many of these places, or that we would have to do two "mandatories" places nobody wants to go...
thanks lecom.

Yes, things have changed now that there are soo many LECOM students. Essentially the country has been split in half east to west. The students in Florida do rotations in the southern states, and the student in PA rotate in the Northern states. We had LECOM-B students rotate with us in Texas. If you don't want to rotate at any of the pre-selected sites you can set up your own pretty much anywhere. What has happened is there is only one rotation office for the three campuses so to make it easier for the office staff they split the country to designate campus rotation site availability otherwise everyone would be going to florida and texas.

Really interested in LECOM-Erie, and I'm hoping that one day I can return to NYC for a residency. From what I have read in various forums, it would be possible to set up electives at hospitals with D.O. rotations correct? How does one know if it is approved or not (i.e. anyone know of a website with listings)? Is it usually difficult to land such electives at "away" hospitals?

I'm a few years from this point in the game, but I'm close to making a decision regarding attending LECOM's post-bac program. I'd like to know that my chances of returning to NYC someday are pretty good.