LECOM-Erie vs. Howard University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezutora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering which one is the better school, LECOM-Erie or Howard? I like the fact that Howard's in DC, but the school's accreditation issue kinda scared me a bit...how serious was it...? :confused:

Btw, anyone know someone who went to LECOM? How'd they like it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard about Howard's Accreditation Your better off going with LECOM. I don't know anyone who went to LECOM but it seems to be a good school. Did you interview there? What was your impression of the school and the people? I think you should choose based on the people in the program visit both schools if possible. . . then see which one you can see your self at. Remember it's only 4 years and it will be over before you know it.

The accreditation issue that Howard had is no more. They are now back to their full accreditation status. The issue in the first place was administrative, not enough classroom for the program, those type of issues. Howard has a rich history and is a very good program. The program was ranked among the top 50 pharmacy schools in recent years.

LECOM-Erie has a 3 year program and I find this factor very flavorable. The program is also student centered, with state of the art laboratory facilities and other resources.

At the end of the day the decision is yours to make. Go with your heart, because the heart never lies :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

thanks for all the input! For LECOM, I never got to visit the campus because I had a phone interview with them. It was also hard to get a feel for the faculty there because the professor who interviewed me had a thick accent and was very reserved.

I'd like to continue my interest in cancer research (which I've been doing for the past 2 years.) I'm looking to go into clinical pharmacy (very likely going into an oncology residency) and hopefully get into the more research oriented/drug development side of things.

Anyone know how the research compare between Howard and LECOM? Would the school's location effect my chances of achieving that goal (like the practical experience opportunities available in that area)? Or does it not really matter as long as I get my degree and pass the exam?

Thanks again!!! :)

I'd like to continue my interest in cancer research (which I've been doing for the past 2 years.) I'm looking to go into clinical pharmacy (very likely going into an oncology residency) and hopefully get into the more research oriented/drug development side of things.

If your interest lies in research, have you given any thought to getting a PhD rather than a PharmD?

Anyone know how the research compare between Howard and LECOM?

As far as I know from talking to a student graduating from LECOM in about 2 months, the school is pretty much going to prepare you exclusively for retail/community pharmacy.

If your interest lies in research, have you given any thought to getting a PhD rather than a PharmD?

I have considered it,but after doing research full time for 2 years, I realize that I dont' want to spend the rest of my career in a lab. I want the people interaction associated with clinical responsibilities. That's why I decided to go the pharmacy route instead.