LECOM-Erie vs VCOM-Auburn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have an acceptance at VCOM-Auburn, and I love the school and location. Just got an II from LECOM-Erie today and I'm trying to decide if I should go. LECOM is one hour away from my hometown which is why I'm considering it, but I'm looking for feedback on the school. Any current students or folks who interviewed there feel like giving me their perspective? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely would at least interview! Since it's so close to your hometown it's not like it'd be a huge financial burden to travel there. The tuition and board scores are fantastic, I am a little biased as I interviewed at Seton Hill and will be joining the class next fall. I did not interview at VCOM, but I did interview at two other schools, both of which which I loved (arguably more than LECOM), and turned down another interview; I was waitlisted at one of the other schools and accepted to the other.

I chose LECOM for personal reasons, because it is close to loved ones- which I'd imagine would be a factor for you as well. I think having support from home would make the experience more enjoyable! Also it has a variety of learning pathways that you can sift through, I personally was trying to avoid mandatory attendance to lectures and found LECOM's PBL most enticing to me- I'm very independent. Plus.... I'll be saving nearly 80k for the same degree.

I've read lots of negativity regarding the "draconian" rules of LECOM and I am not affected by them, I don't think that having to abide by a dress code (which you'll have to do from OMS3-the rest of your career anyways) is enough to sway people away from a school. Same thing with the having water in class. I WILL admit that I was not impressed by the facilities (at Seton Hill) or by my tour- my guide was very lackluster.

All in all, you'll only know if it is a "fit" if you go.

Since you're so close and their tuition is amazing, I would go to the interview to see if it's a good fit for you.

With that in mind, I went to an interview at LECOM-Erie in August and I really disliked the school, it was not right for me. I literally felt like I was in a prison from the moment I walked through the doors. There's not one speck of color inside the whole school, every wall and every picture is gray. They are very strict with their dress code, you can't even change into scrubs for anatomy lab. You have to stay in your business clothes while dissecting a cadaver. That's just ridiculous to me. They also have 100% mandatory attendance. The staff weren't that welcoming in my opinion, and the students did not look happy. The only reason I would honestly consider this school is for their extremely low tuition. But you can tell the tuition is so low because they don't do much to give back to their students...the school is pretty run down. They don't even have any kind of a SIM lab. That was a huge factor to me. These are just my own honest feelings about the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you're so close and their tuition is amazing, I would go to the interview to see if it's a good fit for you.

With that in mind, I went to an interview at LECOM-Erie in August and I really disliked the school, it was not right for me. I literally felt like I was in a prison from the moment I walked through the doors. There's not one speck of color inside the whole school, every wall and every picture is gray. They are very strict with their dress code, you can't even change into scrubs for anatomy lab. You have to stay in your business clothes while dissecting a cadaver. That's just ridiculous to me. They also have 100% mandatory attendance. The staff weren't that welcoming in my opinion, and the students did not look happy. The only reason I would honestly consider this school is for their extremely low tuition. But you can tell the tuition is so low because they don't do much to give back to their students...the school is pretty run down. They don't even have any kind of a SIM lab. That was a huge factor to me. These are just my own honest feelings about the school.
Thanks for the honest response!

Reactions: 1 user