SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

LECOM Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by dlc, Jan 29, 2000.

1. dlc

dlc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 8, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Hi everyone,
    I have just been offered an interview at LECOM and would like some opinions. I am coming from Florida and I hear it is pretty expensive to fly to Erie so I am wondering if I should go for this interview. I am already on the waiting list at a really good allopathic school (but I have no idea what my chances are of coming off) and have not really considered LECOM as one of my top choices. I hear that the passing percentile for the first boards (after the second year) are around 92%, and I also heard that everyone gets their top choice residency (is this true or just a rumor?). So what I want to know is, first of all, where LECOM stands among the other osteopathic schools. Is it highly regarded? To those students currently attending LECOM, are you happy with the school and its curriculum? Is there anything that you regret? Also, (and I know I should probably be calling and asking the admissions people about this, but its Saturday), how many people apply here, how many are interviewed, and how many are accepted? If you get an interview, is it pretty likely that you will get accepted unless you completely blow your interview? Any opinions that ANYONE, anyone at all, can give me will be greatly appreciated! Oh and one more thing...my interview is not until February 22nd, which is pretty late in the cycle in my opinion. Any opinions on this and whether osteopathic schools are filling up as fast as allopathic schools?
    Dana

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. grev

grev Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2000
    miami,Fl USA
    lecom is a brand new school only about 8 years old, its done a lot to create a good reputation though. It is well respected in erie and i understand that at least local residency programs see lecom grads in a good light. I've heard the same about board passing rates and match results. I say you go to the interview and see for yourself, if you fly to pitt or cleveland you can rent a car and its a two hour drive, you can save on airfare... i just got in there a couple of days ago, i was really impressed at the interview with how happy the students were with the school and how well they regarded the faculty. almost three thousand apply, 600 are interviewed and about 200 accepted. give it a shot, it's a good school, i'm not sure if i'll end up there but its a good option from me and i'm from florida too.

4. rowerman

rowerman Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 2, 1999
    I agree. LECOM is a great school. Friends who attend rave about the mentor-match system, the early clinical exposure and meeting their first choice in a residency match. They have all performed well on the boards and attribute this to the school's approach to teaching medicine. Also, for a relatively new school, they have many excellent rotation hospital affiliations in many states and regions. I've interviewed and had acceptances elsewhere, but it looks as if LECOM is where I'm headed. Check out their PBL, independent learning pilot program that starts next year. I have friends at Ohio State Med. that are in this program and consistantly score higher on the boards...just a nice option that LECOM is offering.

Also, a class size of 160 is much more appealing to me than one of 250 (other schools I've been accepted to). I don't want to get lost in the lottery mix, as others I know at these schools complain about.

5. rowerman

Dec 2, 1999
    Dana-

Also...LECOM has a hospital rotation affilation with Wellington Hospital in West Palm Beach, FL. You can do your entire 3rd and 4th year rotations there. It's a popular spot with great rotation options.

6. cholecalciferol

cholecalciferol Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2000
    To Rowerman:

Are you a current student at LECOM?

Is the PBL curriculum at LECOM part of the core-curriculum starting next year or will it be a separate stream that you must request to be in? Any info would be appreciated!

7. It is a totally seperate track from the regular curriculum

8. Thalamus

Thalamus Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Az. usa
    I agree with Rowerman. LECOM impressed me immensely. The staff was friendly and helpful, the students made available to us on interview day said they had other options (including PCOM) ans chose LECOM. Being so new, the reputation for excellence is in the residency stages...and the people I talk to say that LECOM's students are superior clinically. I will be there as a member of the class of 2004!!

9. EJS

EJS 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was just accepted to LECOM, got my letter today actually. They told us 97% of people passed the boards and practically everyone got their first choice in residency. I am still deciding among schools however. I have to send in my $$ in two weeks if I want to go though. Good Luck!

10. grev

grev Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2000
    miami,Fl USA
    i just got back from my 'top choice' school inteview at umdnj, and realized that it doesn't compare to lecom. i'm almost decided i'm going to lecom, i was accepted a few weeks ago and already sent my money. i was blown away by the integrated systems approach, the faculty, the facilities and even the city and the low rent. the facilities were a lot better here than at umdnj, believe it or not, they may have a university hospital on campus, and research facilities, etc... but the classrooms and the labs do not compare. hope to see you guys there in the fall, whenever i make up my mind, i'm a little indecisive...

11. rowerman

Dec 2, 1999
    GREV-

I'm in the same boat, I interviewed at a few others and was accepted. I'm also choosing LECOM over the others. The modern facilities and the integrated systems approach are awesome. The class size is appealing (not too big not too small), cost of living (as compared to NYCOM, where I was also accepted) mentoring program and affliate hospitals in many areas...second to none. Great vibe up there too when I interviewed. I'm sold; the money is in, can't wait to start. See you there.

12. Brundawg

Brundawg New Member

Feb 12, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i was just accepted to LECOM on the 11th. Everything that has been said is true. I'll probably end up there depending upon what i hear from PCOM. Everyone at LECOM is friendly and it stands in a very affordable and safe area.