LECOM interview

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by ktdkto2b, Dec 4, 2000.

1. ktdkto2b

ktdkto2b Junior Member

I just received a letter from LECOM today granting me an interview, and I have a few questions. Does anyone know if they grant everyone interviews or if interviews are based on your applications passing an initial screening???

Also...for anyone that has been interviewing with different schools, what kinds of questions have they been asking? This is my first medical school interview, and I'm already pretty nervous about the whole process.

Any input would be great!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member

I dont think any medical school grants interviews to everyone that applies. Interviews are offered to the ones that the school is considering seriously for admission. I interviewed in LECOM in the begining of November and I thought it was a good program. I however have decided to go to KCOM (kirksville). Therefore I will be giving up my spot. Contrats on your interview, it really means that they are interested in you. It is a pretty smooth day. However, kind of intimidating while you sit there in the board room waiting to be called as the take people one by one. The actual interview is really laid back. Just know why you want osteopathic medicine and remember to read the artice they give you thouroughly. They will ask you to summarize it (or some questions from it).

4. Akron Ohio

Akron Ohio Member

I interviewed September 7th and have to say the interview was laid back also. They seem to really want to get to know you. The best way to prepare is Interviewfeedback.com. Every question they asked me was right off the site. I was accepted there but I will be attending KCOM. Overall it is a decent school, it is just really new and still getting its program together. The school opened in 1995. Good luck!!!

[This message has been edited by Akron, Ohio (edited 12-05-2000).]

5. I agree with the other two. The interview was very laid back, although I thought that my interviewers were a little uninterested. Nevertheless, I received an acceptance letter within 2 weeks of my interview. I will not be attending LECOM, but I know that it is a good program. I have a cousin who went there and really enjoyed it. Take the time to drive around town (if there's not too much snow). I visited Presque Isle, but I am not sure if it's accessible due to the snow.
    Definitely check out interviewfeedback.com and the school's website. It's a good place to have your first interview. Good luck with everything!

BostonGirl

6. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My interview at LECOM had a different tone. two of the interviewers never looked at me from the beginning. I am big on eye contact, and when I am talking or listening to someone, I always make sure I am looking them in the eye, so it wasn't a response to body language they were receiving from me. They asked alot of questions about my husband and how he will handle me being in med school, me going away for rotations, etc. It really seemed to me like they were trying to get me riled up. One even lied to me. He said that LECOM does not offer elective rotations, and that the student has nothing to do with setting up the fourth year like at other schools, "so if I think I'm going to be able to do a rotation (at an affiliated hospital near my hometown) to be close to mommy and daddy, I'm wrong, and that's not a reason I shoudl pick that school" Direct quote. I didn't mention rotations as a reason to pick their school, and am not sure why they said this to being with, it had nothing to do with what we were talking about. Then I summarized their article, answered questions on it, and sat in that conference room FOREVER until it was time to go. (My interview was first, so I had to wait until everyone else was done). For me, it was anything but a laid-back experience, and I was so happy to get out of there. I did get accepted, and I'm not really sure how, but I wrote them a letter declining and I will be attending elsewhere. On a more positive note, I am the only person of everyone I have talked to who has interviewed there who had a bad experience. Everyone at other interviews that I have talked to about LECOM has raved about how laid-back their interview was and most thought it was their easiest. So apparently my experience was atypical. Yours will probably be nice and laid-back like everyone else's, but I thought I'd throw in my story so you're prepared in case you get the people I got and start getting bad vibes right from teh get-go. As for how many people they are interviewing, I've heard its quite alot this year. I interviewed in Sept, and my file was not complete yet. I called several times over the next couple of weeks to check on it, and was told to call back after 1pm when they are done with interviews. I finally asked which days are interview days, and I remember it being 4 days a week, although I don't remember which was the day off. There were 10 people there when I interviewed, so if it is really 40 a week then they are interviewing alot of people. Really though, who cares how many people they are interviewing. You got an interview, so you have the chance to show them who you really are and knock their socks off. I think it's great that they are giving so many people this chance. I agree with the other posters about feedback.com, every question I was asked, the normal ones at least, was on there. And if you do get provoked, just dont let them get your goat. I didn't lose my composure, and got an acceptance, so maybe its some kind of tactic. Good luck!!

7. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Doc Oc, you are not alone in having had a bad interview at LECOM. Mine was nothing to be thrilled about either, but it was 3 years ago so I was assuming things had changed some [​IMG]

One of the interviewers was super super nice, I give them that, but the other two were very uptight.

The entire interview had the tone of "prove to us that you are good enough to attend this school". By mid interview I got really tired of it and lost interest in trying to prove that I was good enough to attend LECOM.

Perhaps it is a nice school and they were having a collective migraine that day, but I was glad to have other choices as to which school to attend.

8. sporrt

sporrt Member

I just had an interview at LECOM on 11/20, and found it to be a very easy going atmosphere. Just be yourself, know your motivations, and it will go fine.