LECOM-ISP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're a LECOM-ISP student I'm wondering how many days a week you have to be on campus? They told us 1 or 2 days per week but now I'm hearing it's more like 4 or 5?

Members don't see this ad.

Funny you should ask the advice of a current student now, when on the LECOM class of 2011 thread you had nothing but scorn for our advice regarding LECOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
funny indeed. but all i hear is awful stuf about LECOM and I've been granted a late-in-the-season interview elsewhere and I need to figure out if I should go. I'm just asking for one simple piece of information. If one's intention is truly to warn others not to go to LECOM and then I imagine one would want to give me this one simple piece of information. All petty SDN bickering aside, I am trying to make a major life decision here and I could really use the help. I responded to anti-LECOM posts with agression as a defense mechanism. It scares the crap out of us knowing we're headed to a miserable school. I apologize. Someone please help me out. If not for my sake, then my kids' sake. They're the reason I'm asking. Thanks....

sincerely
a humble apologetic MiesVanDerMom

I'm not ISP but I do go to LECOM and here's what I know from talking to several ISPers. Anatomy is from August until Thanksgiving. You will be in class 5 days a week, regadless of pathway until then. ISPers were told they would be in class 1-2 days per week (definitely Wednesdays--that's OMM) after anatomy. However, lately they said they've been in closer to 4 days a week, but expect that number to go down a bit next month (Im not sure why, or if it will stay down). Wish I could give you a more definite answer. If you're seriously considering not attending LECOM because of the bashers on SDN, I would carefully think about their motivations. I remember from your previous posts that you're from Pittsburgh area and that your mom was going to come help you out with your kids. Unless you're completely blown away by the other school you interview at, I would recommend the school that meets your locational and family needs. When all is said and done, you still get the degree. Yes, there are flaws with the adminisration at LECOM, but you're still going to learn what you need to learn and meet great people. It's only 2 years (if you're going home to rotate) so I wouldn't want to disrupt my family too much by dragging them halfway around the country (especially if you're mom isn't keen on it since it seems like she's doing you a huge favor by moving with you :) Like I said, if one school blows you away, certainly pick that one. But from my experience, there wasnt one that seemed to stand out too much so I went with family/ location reasons and have been pretty happy at LECOM.

I'm not ISP but I do go to LECOM and here's what I know from talking to several ISPers. Anatomy is from August until Thanksgiving. You will be in class 5 days a week, regadless of pathway until then. ISPers were told they would be in class 1-2 days per week (definitely Wednesdays--that's OMM) after anatomy. However, lately they said they've been in closer to 4 days a week, but expect that number to go down a bit next month (Im not sure why, or if it will stay down). Wish I could give you a more definite answer. If you're seriously considering not attending LECOM because of the bashers on SDN, I would carefully think about their motivations. I remember from your previous posts that you're from Pittsburgh area and that your mom was going to come help you out with your kids. Unless you're completely blown away by the other school you interview at, I would recommend the school that meets your locational and family needs. When all is said and done, you still get the degree. Yes, there are flaws with the adminisration at LECOM, but you're still going to learn what you need to learn and meet great people. It's only 2 years (if you're going home to rotate) so I wouldn't want to disrupt my family too much by dragging them halfway around the country (especially if you're mom isn't keen on it since it seems like she's doing you a huge favor by moving with you :) Like I said, if one school blows you away, certainly pick that one. But from my experience, there wasnt one that seemed to stand out too much so I went with family/ location reasons and have been pretty happy at LECOM.

:thumbup:
Its definitely a flawed administration but location, location, location....the more you know about the administration the better you can prepare yourself for them....

thank you for the replies! :) I have a feeling I will be at LECOM in the fall, so it's good to hear it's possible to be happy there if you know what you're getting yourself into and have your reasons for being there. I'm worried about the attendance policy since I have two small kids. It's disappointing to hear I will need to be on campus more than I'd thought. I just don't want to shortchange my kids in order to conform to attendance policies.

Thanks again :)

I'm from western PA, did all my rotations in western PA, matched in western PA. If you're local, don't let them deter you. I did LDP, but there was a guy who lived in Altoona and commuted to LECOM 2nd year for ISP. Maybe i'm out of touch now with the new rules/regulations though.

I have several friends in my class that are in ISP, so I understand enough information to give you a fairly informative response. (they bitch alot:))

During Anatomy of first semester you will be at the school every day, and whether attendance is required or not you will need to come. Anatomy is pretty intense and it would be tough to do well without going to lectures. (in my opinion) It seems that they should have told you this ahead of time, because most of the ISPers in my class, 2010, knew they were going to be on campus most of the first semester.

2nd semester is when things got a little "harry" for the ISPers. As you were told, they thought they would be on campus only 1/2 times a day, but we are in week seven and they have been on campus 3/4 (sometimes 5) times a week. This is for History and Physical class, Health Care Management, and OPP. Call up someone at LECOM and directly ask them about this, because it seems they try to hide it from the ISP students to sell the "1-2 times a week" thing.

Now that HCM and HandP are over, I think ISP will be the "1-2 times a week" program they sell. So if you think you can stick out a semester and 7 weeks of being on campus for most of the time, then go for it! Most of my friends that are ISP have family. One lived in Pittsburgh and the other in Buffalo, but Pittsburgh actually stayed in Erie away from his family and Buffalo has to drive everyday to get here. So not the most convenient thing, as you can imagine.

If you want to know more i'll try, but this is all from sittin at the lunch table bitching about the ISP "situation" this year. I'm LDP and enjoy it more and more as I see what the other pathways are doing (personal opinion).

Good luck!

I'm a former ISP'er. I remember hearing and thinking the same thing before I started...that I'd only have to be on campus 1-2 days a week. In reality I was there much more often. The "problem" is that ISP is included in many of the clinical courses (OPEP, CODA) and most of the smaller grab bag courses (ethics, psych, HCM..) along with LDP. This really gets revved up in your second year when some weeks you're on campus 3-4 days (especially with CODA). Depending on how you look at it the upside/downside is that many of those days you only have to be there for 1-2 hours but they sure get annoying when you have to stop what you’re doing at 1:00 in the afternoon to go to an hour long class.

Giving a specific answer to how many days a week you’re at LECOM is difficult because one week is different from the next. Some weeks it’s 1-2 days others 3-4. Overall I’m certain that you’ll be there more than you’d bargained for. With that said I would definitely choose ISP again.