LECOM Master of Medical Science 2018-2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted into this program as a non-traditional career change student. Super excited to start in July. Does anyone have any information on the percentage of dental students accepted to dental school this year from the MMS? Were they predominantly accepted to LECOM? What is the ballpark GPA of the accepted dents/what makes a student who was in the MMS not get accepted into their path program?

PS if anyone is interested in cheap housing, I own a house about an hour away — north in Pinellas County. I have space I can rent out (a furnished bedroom or an unfurnished bedroom), though I know commute will be a negative for most. I will be commuting obviously, so I’m thinking carpool. Message me if this piques your interest. Can’t wait to see everyone soon enough!

Unfortunately we currently don't know the final numbers of which dental track students got accepted but from what I know 13 dental track students were granted interviews. Out of the 13 who interviewed 6 were given conditional acceptances while 7 were placed on the waitlist. To get an interview you need to have a 3.0 cumulative at the end of the fall semester. In order to get an conditional acceptance you need to have a 3.4 cumulative.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately we currently don't know the final numbers of which dental track students got accepted but from what I know 13 dental track students were granted interviews. Out of the 13 who interviewed 6 were given conditional acceptances while 7 were placed on the waitlist. To get an interview you need to have a 3.0 cumulative at the end of the fall semester. In order to get an conditional acceptance you need to have a 3.4 cumulative.
To clarify, the 3.4 was for medicine. I do not think they had set cutoffs for dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if they are prescribed these would thar bar them from admission?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I would ask admissions how to get them the prescription/doctors note, but as long as its a legal prescription, you should be fine. This may not include Cannabis. (It's legal medically in Florida, but still illegal at the Federal level.)

hey so for the first cohort 90 percent got accepted .... whats the statistics on this second cohort that is completing now

hey so for the first cohort 90 percent got accepted .... whats the statistics on this second cohort that is completing now

If I remember correctly the first class had around an 84% acceptance rate. As for the current class we don’t know the numbers yet.

I've lived in New England my entire life and have never been to Florida. For those of you that completed the program or live in FL now, what type of sunscreen do I bring? SPF 10K?

I've lived in New England my entire life and have never been to Florida. For those of you that completed the program or live in FL now, what type of sunscreen do I bring? SPF 10K?

Sunscreen? Lmao I don't know anyone here who wears sunscreen. Come here without sunscreen and if you burn too easily, you can always buy spf 30. It's not like we don't sell em here

Has anyone done the vaccinations? If so, can someone walk me through this? Do I just print the form in and give it to my PCP?

Has anyone done the vaccinations? If so, can someone walk me through this? Do I just print the form in and give it to my PCP?

I set an appointment with my PCP for a physical and brought my paperwork. I only needed the TDAP at the initial appointment. They filled out what they could at that moment and then gave me lab orders to do the titers. I went to the lab to get the bloodwork, then it was sent back to my PCP to fill the paperwork from LECOM. They called me a few days later to pick it all up (and with all the titer info filled in) and I sent it back in to LECOM. I was lucky, all my titers came back okay so that was the end of it for me.

Do you guy think its too late to apply for this program? Also, did anyone got accepted without test score. I emailed them yesterday to ask is it possible to apply without DAT score and she said yes, but you will not be guaranteed an interview when you successfully complete the program unless you take DAT with minimum score of 17.

Members don't see this ad :)
I set an appointment with my PCP for a physical and brought my paperwork. I only needed the TDAP at the initial appointment. They filled out what they could at that moment and then gave me lab orders to do the titers. I went to the lab to get the bloodwork, then it was sent back to my PCP to fill the paperwork from LECOM. They called me a few days later to pick it all up (and with all the titer info filled in) and I sent it back in to LECOM. I was lucky, all my titers came back okay so that was the end of it for me.

Which paperwork did you bring? Did you bring the matriculation packet page 06-15 or did you bring the LECOM Unofficial Immunization Status paperwork that is found under the link where you click "Immunization status".

I'm so confused.. so lost on what to do. Should I just bring both forms to my PCP?

EDIT: So I lost contact with my childhood PCP. Got a new PCP this year, so I don't have anything "on file". Ugh....

Last edited:
I'm curious what you think was unethical and ridiculous? At least from LECOMs side of things. I know our fellow classmates pulled some really immature stuff in the fall, and I'm fairly certain cheating was rampant in some groups all year, but I don't think the school did anything unethical itself.

Also, we started with 70 classmates, and finished out with 60 not including the 3 people we added in the Spring. We didn't lose a quarter of our class.
FACTS:
1. Certain students got in trouble for cheating while others were pardoned.
2. Certain students got preferential curves on exams when they received the same score.

Trust me; I can’t wait to hear your bad reviews.

Your scores or GPA obviously weren't "really good" that's pretty much why you were in the program to begin with. You're one of the countless miserable ****ing trolls on SDN.
They actually were. I applied late like many of the other students. You will see how wrong you are.

So they're making the curriculum harder? I have current friend who's an M2 at LECOM-B and he told me the masters program is like 2 years of med school condensed into 1. Is that true?
It’s 100% true

I'm curious what you think was unethical and ridiculous? At least from LECOMs side of things. I know our fellow classmates pulled some really immature stuff in the fall, and I'm fairly certain cheating was rampant in some groups all year, but I don't think the school did anything unethical itself.

Also, we started with 70 classmates, and finished out with 60 not including the 3 people we added in the Spring. We didn't lose a quarter of our class.
I can name more than 75 students now because I have the original roster. You are lying right now without information. Who told you we started with 70?

Rejected.
Best of luck to everyone Waiting.
Ball park stats: 3.0 Biochemistry major, 500 MCAT, 3 years working,2 years research, hundreds of volunteering. Some shadowing. Strong letters of Reference. When I asked why they said gpa was on the low side compared to other applicants. Good luck to everyone!
Best thing that ever happened to you. Do USF’s. At least they are credible.

I can't wait to crush this program and get into med school
Enjoy either:
1. Being a nerd with no social life as you always have been.
2. Being addicted to stimulants to “crush” the program
3. Sleep deprivation
4. Lies from staff

FACTS:
2. Certain students got preferential curves on exams when they received the same score.

The curves were pretty fair. It’s not wise to accuse a school of something without any credible evidence.

Reactions: 2 users
Which paperwork did you bring? Did you bring the matriculation packet page 06-15 or did you bring the LECOM Unofficial Immunization Status paperwork that is found under the link where you click "Immunization status".

I'm so confused.. so lost on what to do. Should I just bring both forms to my PCP?

EDIT: So I lost contact with my childhood PCP. Got a new PCP this year, so I don't have anything "on file". Ugh....

I brought the whole matriculation packet. They seemed to figure it out. They can pull immunization status from FL records if you were immunized in Florida, which I was. The titers are also required regardless to check your levels. My PCP seemed to know what to do with all the papers I gave her without much guidance needed from me. I would just set an appointment, bring the matriculation packet and see what they say in terms of guidance for your immunizations.

The curves were pretty fair. It’s not wise to accuse a school of something without any credible evidence.
I have evidence. I was given an acceptance into the medical program so i'm uanffected. If I could take back this entire year, however, I would've. You're obviously one of the lame nerds in this program.

FACTS:

I honestly can't tell if your a troll or not. No one got preferential curves. We had just 1 class that threw out questions that statistically were guessed on (<20% got it right). If you got it right, you didn't get points. I didn't like it, but wasn't preferential. And it was 1 class. Every other class did traditional curves.

I think your cheating point is fair. It was rampant in our class unfortunately, and It felt unfair at times knowing others cheated and were getting better grades.

As for the number of students, you can go to any of the first semester forums and count the number of students we had. If you dont include faculty in those rosters, we had 70. That includes people I know who dropped. It could be missing some students, in which case you could post the roster your looking at that has 75+.

USF publishes that their masters graduates makes up only 13% of their medical school class, which is about 23 people out of 180 seats. They have 260 MMS students, meaning less than 10% get accepted to USF out of their masters. And they take another gap year. Unless you have a hang up on DO vs MD (which why would you apply to LECOM then), there is no way that program is a better bet for becoming a doctor.

Without knowing who you are, I wont doubt that you didn't get in. It's just weird your making it sound like this program destroyed your year if you did. ALL of us took this program because we couldn't get into medical school without it. Most of the people I know who got in thought this program was manageable and a good thing for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have evidence. I was given an acceptance into the medical program so i'm uanffected. If I could take back this entire year, however, I would've. You're obviously one of the lame nerds in this program.

Apparently, he's one of the lame nerds who didn't get destroyed by a watered down medical school curriculum.

Apparently, he's one of the lame nerds who didn't get destroyed by a watered down medical school curriculum.
The program was hard but I managed my time well so it was doable. I actually appreciate that they made it difficult because it was a way to see whether or not I was a good fit for dental school. There were a few people who really struggled and they had to reconsider their career choices. So in my opinion, it might be the best for them.

The program was hard but I managed my time well so it was doable. I actually appreciate that they made it difficult because it was a way to see whether or not I was a good fit for dental school. There were a few people who really struggled and they had to reconsider their career choices. So in my opinion, it might be the best for them.
I know. It was more tongue and cheek for truthful941. He called chosen a lame nerd for doing well, and I wanted to point out that that was far better than struggling in the program. I meant absolutely no shade on thechosen. I really appreciated this program too.

Anybody moving into town soon? I will be moving there in about three weeks and I am trying to decide what I should do before classes start.

Anybody moving into town soon? I will be moving there in about three weeks and I am trying to decide what I should do before classes start.

I'm looking for places around the school, so I can move in a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure there's a bit to do though. There's Siesta Key & Also St. Pete

I was accepted into this program as a non-traditional career change student. Super excited to start in July. Does anyone have any information on the percentage of dental students accepted to dental school this year from the MMS? Were they predominantly accepted to LECOM? What is the ballpark GPA of the accepted dents/what makes a student who was in the MMS not get accepted into their path program?

PS if anyone is interested in cheap housing, I own a house about an hour away — north in Pinellas County. I have space I can rent out (a furnished bedroom or an unfurnished bedroom), though I know commute will be a negative for most. I will be commuting obviously, so I’m thinking carpool. Message me if this piques your interest. Can’t wait to see everyone soon enough!

i'm a prospective dental student in the MMS program. When I spoke with Mr. Soloman, he said that you will get an interview is you maintain a 3.0 when interviews start. I had a friend do the Post Bac and he said as long as you maintained a 3.2ish you were in

i'm a prospective dental student in the MMS program. When I spoke with Mr. Soloman, he said that you will get an interview is you maintain a 3.0 when interviews start. I had a friend do the Post Bac and he said as long as you maintained a 3.2ish you were in

Do you think its too late to apply for this program? Also, do you know anyone who got accepted without test score. I emailed them to ask is it possible to apply without DAT score and she said yes, but you will not be guaranteed an interview when you successfully complete the program unless you take DAT with minimum score of 17. I haven't taken DAT or GRE yet.

Do you think its too late to apply for this program? Also, do you know anyone who got accepted without test score. I emailed them to ask is it possible to apply without DAT score and she said yes, but you will not be guaranteed an interview when you successfully complete the program unless you take DAT with minimum score of 17. I haven't taken DAT or GRE yet.

I think you can do SAT/ACT scores using the AIS tool but I honestly think it may be too late.

so everyone that is in the program now .... what is your current GPA so i know the average or what is doable

What is dat score cut off for this program

I just finished Post Bacc. You only needed a 3.0 to get accepted. For next year’s class, you need a 3.2.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How can I send transcripts for addmission?

I know. It was more tongue and cheek for truthful941. He called chosen a lame nerd for doing well, and I wanted to point out that that was far better than struggling in the program. I meant absolutely no shade on thechosen. I really appreciated this program too.
No point of arguing anymore. You wouldn’t believe some of the things that happened if I told you...

Got the e-mail about the book list & the schedule.

Looks like anatomy is still in one semester, I thought it was broken up into two semesters this time around.

Also are the books really mandatory to have? Do we really need the newest editions, or can we get by on one or two editions older?

Got the e-mail about the book list & the schedule.

Looks like anatomy is still in one semester, I thought it was broken up into two semesters this time around.

Also are the books really mandatory to have? Do we really need the newest editions, or can we get by on one or two editions older?

They probably only sent you the schedule for the summer and fall semesters. They usually don’t release the spring schedule and booklist until December/January so you guys will still have a second anatomy class. For some classes the books are not mandatory but it’s always safe to have them just in case. I would get the new edition just so that you won’t be confused if the professors pull images or information that weren’t in the older editions

The way that I'm seeing it, Anatomy I starts Jan 7, then Anatomy II starts at some point in Feb until the end of the semester.

I got email from LECOM saying, "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding your application. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application every 30 days; you will be notified if there is a change in their decision at that time.". Does this pretty much means rejection or means I might have chance?

Hey guys, so here's the books and the course schedules. If I'm not allowed to post these, lemme know so I can remove it.

Do we need the physical copies with us and do we have to bring em everyday? If we don't need to (when I interviewed at the DO program, I saw students with a billion things highlighted in their books, and I saw students bringing all their books everyday) I'm thinking of renting em from chegg or amazon for a cheaper price.

Attachments

• MMS Book Titles 2018-2019.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 118
  • MMS Courses TImeline 2018-2019.pdf
    161.1 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 1 users
i would suggest that that means theyre missing something in your application that theyre waiting to review

so everyone that is in the program now .... what is your current GPA so i know the average or what is doable

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 499
ECs: I'm a year out from undergrad and have been working as an ER scribe and in the biotech industry (which I did my undergrad in), I've done shadowing (DO and MD), research, medical mission trip overseas, and practiced as as EMT for a while.

Best of luck to you!

Does anyone know if there's a FB group for the 2018-2019 MMS class? I tried searching it and found 2017-2018, but none for us.

Does anyone know if there's a FB group for the 2018-2019 MMS class? I tried searching it and found 2017-2018, but none for us.
Yes there is one but I have not gained access to post links yet. It is under the group name "LECOM Master of Medical Science 2018-2019"

Yes there is one but I have not gained access to post links yet. It is under the group name "LECOM Master of Medical Science 2018-2019"

Ah okay, I actually just found it by searching that on FB and requested to join. Thanks!

i would suggest that that means theyre missing something in your application that theyre waiting to review

The only thing that I see is missing in my application is MCAT score but When I emailed them they said I can apply without the test score but i will not be given interview until there is a test score in my file.