LECOM need advice please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V4viet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone gonig to LECOM-Erie..how do you like the place in term of locations, faculties, facilities, and the learning experience you've had thus far.. One important thing is that do you have to set up your own rotation? or do you gather in groups and then assigned numbers? please help.. pm me if you want..thanks for reading eventhough you guys are very busy..I also wanted to know does the school atmosphere promote a peaceful environment to study?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very interested in Erie. It seems very quiet which is up there on my priorities.

anyone gonig to LECOM-Erie..how do you like the place in term of locations, faculties, facilities, and the learning experience you've had thus far.. One important thing is that do you have to set up your own rotation? or do you gather in groups and then assigned numbers? please help.. pm me if you want..thanks for reading eventhough you guys are very busy..I also wanted to know does the school atmosphere promote a peaceful environment to study?

Location: cold and gray most of the year. Within Erie, I liked the location. I lived a few min. away at Lake View apartments, which was really nice.

Faculties: there are good and bad

Facilities: I was lecture pathway and spent all my time in one room. The lecture halls have internet.

I think the learning experience was fine. I think they really need to get new physiology professors. I think the way Physiology was taught was very weak.

In terms of rotations, I'm in my 3rd year right now, and the class is split up into rotation groups. Most of your core rotations are set up the fall before third year. Family practice, selective, and electives you set up on your own.

Peaceful? I thought it was a good study environment when I was there. Everyone was very supportive and it was easy to get help form faculty or other students if you asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Location: cold and gray most of the year. Within Erie, I liked the location. I lived a few min. away at Lake View apartments, which was really nice.

Faculties: there are good and bad

Facilities: I was lecture pathway and spent all my time in one room. The lecture halls have internet.

I think the learning experience was fine. I think they really need to get new physiology professors. I think the way Physiology was taught was very weak.

In terms of rotations, I'm in my 3rd year right now, and the class is split up into rotation groups. Most of your core rotations are set up the fall before third year. Family practice, selective, and electives you set up on your own.

Peaceful? I thought it was a good study environment when I was there. Everyone was very supportive and it was easy to get help form faculty or other students if you asked.

is it hard to set these up??

is it hard to set these up??

It sounds a little scary at first, but no, it is not hard. Under clinical education on the LECOM web site there is a list of LECOM affiliate hospitals. It includes a contact person. You call them up, and tell them that you are interested in this rotation at this specific time. They let you know within a few weeks if they have a spot open. If there is a spot, you confirm that you still want it. Then you fill out a form on the LECOM web site.

You don't have to stick to the LECOM affiliates, that is just what I have done so far. You apply 3-4 months before you want to go there. 6 months if you REALLY :scared: want to go there.

A lot of medical schools, LECOM included has lured people in with the statement,

"Rotations in Arkansas/Colorado/Utah/Georgia? Oh yeah, they are easy to set up!'

A lot of my friends from far away states are having to face the difficult choice of staying around Pa/Ny/Ohio region now instead of going back to their "Home" areas.

This is because LECOM wants to insure that their students go to hospitals that they know, and that have decent clinical education infrasturcture, so that you are not sitting in Utah for a month with your thumb up your anal sphincter.

Not to bash on LECOM, because i can understand where they are coming from, and i failed to ask specific questions on HOW you set up rotations (luckily i am from this area)

BUT!!!!!! i know that i interviewed at several schools in the midwest, and they all told me the same thing that LECOM did, "Don't worry about rotations, we have it all set up, Sure you will be able to go back to PA!"

Now i find out that some of my friends who went to those schools are staying in the booming metropilous of kansas city, and des moines.

Why do med schools do this, because they can, because most people don't ask specifically the process of selecting rotations OUTSIDE of the region of the school.

I am now an MSII, and while i do like my school, i do agree with the statement that the physiology is incredibly weak. good thing they are not that important for the boards...... Oh, wait a minute, THEY ARE!!!

the "gym" at LECOM is also a joke, it's more like a hamster cage without the sawdust.

Other than that, the school is fine, it is making me into a great physician, and I find it extremely challenging. but hey, it's med school, a lot of stress, a lot of anziety, and an attending position 8 years away! (sarcasm!)

go ahead, wave your twenties goodbye right now!

-best of luck.

Most of your core rotations are set up the fall before third year. Family practice, selective, and electives you set up on your own.

Is this common practice, the setting up of your own rotations? Does it take a lot of time researching where are the best places to go and etc?

Thanks!