LECOM OPINIONS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer me some opinions (good or bad) on LECOM? I have an interview there, but I've been accepted at UHS and I'm wondering if I should spend the money for the tickets up there. Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi CJT,
I am an MS-II at LECOM, so obviously I have a good opinion of the school. I feel it's a great school, but that's just my opinion. Although I don't know if I would waste money on tickets to fly to Erie for an interview so late in the game. I didn't even know LECOM interviewed this late. I'm not even sure you'd get accepted if you interviewed this late, and since you already have an acceptance, I don't think I would go. Especially if you're happy with your UHS acceptance. Good luck! :D

Hey CJ,
I interviewed at LECOM and I would definitely suggest that you go. If not for genuine interest but just to see how other schools "feel" and to get another interview under your belt. I personally didn't care for LECOM but that doesn't mean you won't "fall in love" with it. If it were me in your position I wouldn't think twice, I would have already booked a flight. Be like Nike just do it! You will never regret getting more insight.

Cheers
Bill

Members don't see this ad :)
W.A.U.S

Like KCOM, other D.O. schools interview well into the summer, this is not because of difficulties filling seats but b/c of the number of qualified applicants who have applied. You need to chill out and stop bashing LECOM!

Yeah Jean!!!!!

I too am getting sick of people on this forum ripping on LECOM (and it's not just WUAS, it's a lot of people). It is a MEDICAL SCHOOL, just like all the other schools out there, so it must have some merit to it. People on this board only point out the bad things about it. Thanks willinghamwilliam wayne (did I get all of your name?) for pointing out that LECOM actually has some good points...(Imagine that...)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LECOM ? Whats LECOM??

Im joking it sounds like a great school, i plan on applying there this summer. One thing I like to say, It doesnt matter where you go to medical school its YOU who chooses how great of a doctor you will become.

Hey Jean and DOtobe,
That's cool that you're sticking up for your school, I did truthfully enjoy my visit there. It just wasn't the school for me, I also fealt that the admissions process was a bit crazy. Interviewing a thousand people for aroun one-hundred and forty spots is kind of silly if you ask me but it isn;'t my school so therefor they don't have to have a policy I agree with. Glad to hear you're enjoying your medical education, I hope I'm in the same state of mind next year and maybe I'll be defending my school of choice! Take care.

Bill
PS (DOtobe yes you got all of my name!)

Reasons I like LECOM:
1. Near Home (Buffalo)
2. Rotations seemed nice
3. OMM director was fantastic

Reasons I didn't like LECOM
1. They treated student like soliders (signing in everyday, mandatory shirt and tie)
2. To small (not class size the school)
3. Didn't meet any students on my interview, so I can't comment on that
4. Instead of choosing just PBL or Straight course work I would have liked a mixture.
5. m My fri%$ing interviewer, a British chap from the Biochemistry Dept, he was a royal ass to me. He made me feel that I should have never been selected for an interview.
6. LECOM didn't compare to NYCOM NOVA or PCOM, or CCOM.

Plus it took them 5 months to accpet me.

I interviewed NOv 5th and was accpeted sometime in late March.

I got acceptance to all the others within a month of the interview.

I'm glad it was my first interview, it gave me good practice

Well, CJT, did you end up going to LECOM or not? If so what did you think?

lecom does have rules but we don't sign in everyday and the biochemistry professor who was an interviewer is actually an awesome guy and great lecturer. Sorry you didn't like Lecom but I'm glad you will be entering into med school in the fall. Best of luck.

Hey apple!

How is your summer vacation going so far? Enjoying this nice time of freedom? I'm enjoying doing absolutely nothing myself...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dotobe,

I'm sleeping alot and I've started working out 5x a week...I haven't lost weight yet but hopefully we'll see some improvement by August.

I've been thinking about boards...but mainly setting up my rotations for next year. I can't wait to get into the hospital setting!!!

I also need to second apple's remark that the "British chap" who acted like an ass at Doc Adam K's interview is AWESOME! He probably had to play the role of bad cop that day...

I have a question about LECOM for you guys. I was reading the OMT and Chiropractics thread. Someone in that thread said that LECOM only requires 60 college credits for a person to apply and gain entrance. I did not beleive this, because after all, this is medical school. So is this true? Like I said, I don't think it is true, but I just want the clarification from students or applicants who know for sure. Thanks a bunch.

Jersey Girl,
That doesn't sound right...In fact, I'm almost positive that is wrong. There is nobody in my class who only had 60 college credits...Every single one of us is a college graduate. I don't know where the people on that thread came up with that information about LECOM, but I'm sure it's wrong. I'm sure LECOM, like all medical schools, requires you to have a degree from a college of some sort.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jersey Girl:
•I have a question about LECOM for you guys. I was reading the OMT and Chiropractics thread. Someone in that thread said that LECOM only requires 60 college credits for a person to apply and gain entrance.•••••After perusing the thread for the exact quote, I found it. I added a message in the Chiropractic vs. D.O. thread. Thanks Jersey Girl for bring this to our attention.

DOtobe - there is one person I know of in the 2005 class who is part of the Gannon/LECOM joint program. I'll send you a PM.

Jean,

I replied to your PM :D

Hey everyone
Just wanted to thank you for all the information. I decided not to go up to Erie after comparing the curriculums. I was weary of trying to decide between the problem based learning and the lecture based. It seemed to me that UHS combined the two, so I figured it was the best of both worlds (for me). But once again, thanks for the help! It was good to hear opposing opinions.

Thank you very much for the clarification! It made me very angry to read that post in the OMT and Chiropractics thread. I am glad someone clarified it over there in that forum. We can't let nonsense like that go around.