LECOM post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm just curious how the post-bacc program is going...How are the classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Classes are going pretty well right now. We just finished up Med. Micro, which was pretty straight forward. The professor for the class is extremely personable and gave pretty good lectures. We are starting physiology now and we can tell that the intensity is starting to pick up. Overall, its been a great experience thus far...

Fred

Hi Fozzy40, I am glad to hear things are going well at LECOM post-bac, and I have a few questions for you. First let me tell you that I was supposed to be with you guys this year (post-bac), however I decided to jump ship this year. It was a hard decision but I believe it was for the best. During my visit to LECOM this summer to talk with Laura Sloan, I learned that no post-bac student could gain admission to the D.O. program with less than a 22, or 23 on the MCAT, no matter how well one performs in the program. My acceptance was based on the condition that I would have to sit for the April 2003 MCAT. Knowing that great performance in the post-bac program would be very time consuming, I realized there would be no time to study for the MCAT, and at the very least improve my score with 4 or more points! After realizing that my prospect of improving the MCAT to a 23, or 24, while studying for the post-bac GPA was dismal at best, I decided not to attend. My game plan now, is to study like the DICKINGS for the April 2003 MCAT, get a 23, or 24, and then reapply to the post-bac program next year (2003). Does this sound like a good idea to you? Did you get a chance to meet any other students with similar situations. Did they say anything about MCAT scores at the orientation? Sorry to bore you with such a long message, I know you are busy but if you have any valuable information, or advice for me I would be very greatful! Thank you Fozzy40 for your time, and Good luck this year!

John

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I TOTALLY understand. There are a couple of students that I have talked to that are required to take the MCAT again before they gain admission. There are also other students who dont have to retake the MCAT but have to maintain a certain GPA throughout the year. I do not think that I would be able to study for the MCAT and handle the post-bacc program. The classes arent extremely difficult but are very time consuming. In my opinion, I think you made the right decision. They really didnt mention the MCAT too much during orientation. However, they EMPHASIZED that we all have spots in next year's class if we maintain good standing in the post-bacc program. In some sense, it's a relief that there is no real competition amongst the students because of this fact. Well, good luck on studying keep your head up. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Fred

How competitive is the post-bacc program at LECOM -- how many students apply and how many get in? I'm impressed with their granting entrance into the D.O. program following successful completion of the post-bacc. What are the cut-offs (GPA, MCAT) for post-bacc students to be addmitted into the D.O. program?

Thanks Fozzy40 for the response, it was a big help with my motivation. At times I grow weary from trying to obtain my dream of becoming a doctor, if fact I have been on the chase now since 1996, and I am 26 years old. At times it seems hard to make the right decisions, and in many cases I have no real information in wich to base my decisions on. I will value your opinion because you are a fellow student, and one of the few people who know of the complexity of medical school admissions. I really enjoyed seeing LECOM this summer, and I hope to be there next year when I have improved my MCAT. I do have other questions for you about the program however, I realize you are learning as you are going through it. So, I will send you some of my other questions next week. Thanks for your response and consideration and I hope we can stay in touch through out the year!:)

Thanks Fred

John

John,

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I'll come up with any excuse to take a break from studying (haha). You commented on your last reply that you are unsure about pursuing a career in medicine b/c of your age. Just to give you some more insight, I am probably one of the youngest students in my class. I would say that the average age in the class is 25, so dont let that stop you. Also, looking at the other MS-1 students, there are alot of older, nontraditional students who seem to be doing just fine academically and socially. Just some FYI info....keep your head up!

Fred

i am shocked. the mcat socre is so low. most md schools requires such score at over 30. no wonder do people are nice, 'cause they are not competitive.

Originally posted by king uther
I learned that no post-bac student could gain admission to the D.O. program with less than a 22, or 23 on the MCAT, no matter how well one performs in the program.

John

what did you score on the MCAT youngjock? or did you put off taking it b/c you were to busy fighting aacomas?

troll.

Scott - MSII
PCOM

Originally posted by slindsay198
what did you score on the MCAT youngjock? or did you put off taking it b/c you were to busy fighting aacomas?

troll.

Scott - MSII
PCOM

my, my, i think that i need to start a pre-youngjock forum. it seems that i have already formed a circle of youngjock fans. hahaha.

my mcat was higher than the post-bac required scores.

Thanks for your last reply Fozzy, and I do have another question for you. Before making my decision not to attend this year I purchased my books, and then had to send them back. When I had them I was reading the physiology book, and it seemed to cover a great deal of pathology. It almost reminded me of a pathophysiology book, that I had as an undergraduate. Are you covering much pathology in class? Thanks!

:)