LECOM rotation site question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for LECOM students who have rotated in the LECOM affiliated New York City area and Pittsburgh area rotation sites. I am trying to decide between these two hub sites, but I dont know enough about the hospitals to make a good decision. Either city works for me, but I went to college in NYC and have a lot of friends in that area, so I'm leaning toward those sites. But I have heard some rumors that the hospitals/sites aren't that great. On the other hand, I know the hospitals in Pittsburgh are large and renowned, but i'm wondering if they are overwhelming and if students actually get to do a lot or if they get sort of lost in the shuffle . . .

if any LECOMer has any personal experiences (or has heard of fellow classmates' experiences) in either of these areas, i would love whatever information you have. (feel free to pm me if you'd rather)

Members don't see this ad.

I am one of the Pittsburgh rotation people, so I can only give a point of view on the Pittsburgh hospitals.

Mercy and West Penn are the main hospitals in Pittsburgh that take LECOM students, and both are excellent. The residents and attendings I have met at both hospitals are extremely nice and make every effort to get you involved. I never thought I was lost in the shuffle - the attendings make an effort to get to know the students. There are other hospitals in Pittsburgh that take LECOM students - St. Clair and UPMC McKeesport are the ones that come to my mind right now - but I have never done any rotations at those hospitals, so I can't comment on them. I have done 2 rotations at Mercy and 3 rotations at West Penn, and I loved both hospitals. In fact, they will probably be my top two choices for residency (I'm going to have a difficult time deciding between the two).

As I said, I can't comment on the NYC hospitals, but I have heard that they are kind of on the crappy side.

Hopefully that helps!

thanks! it helps a lot :) i, too, have heard some not so great things about the greater NYC area sites :( . i'm leaning towards pittsburgh-- a better experience is more important than being close to friends (i think :p )

also, i know a couple of other schools rotate at these sites, so if any non LECOMers are reading this, the specific places i would like information about are
Mercy Hospital (pittsburgh)
St Clair Hospital (pittsburgh)
UPMC McKeesport and St Margaret (pittsburgh area)
West Penn (pittsburgh)
Long Beach Medical Center (Long Beach, NY)
Pennisula Hospital (Far Rockaway, NY)
St John's Episcopal (Far Rockaway, NY)
Good Samaritan Hospital (ny)

if anyone has had any personal experiences at these places, or knows anything about rotations there, i would appreciate the info :) (again, pm if you'd prefer)

Members don't see this ad :)
raspberry swirl said:
thanks! it helps a lot :) i, too, have heard some not so great things about the greater NYC area sites :( . i'm leaning towards pittsburgh-- a better experience is more important than being close to friends (i think :p )

also, i know a couple of other schools rotate at these sites, so if any non LECOMers are reading this, the specific places i would like information about are
Mercy Hospital (pittsburgh)
St Clair Hospital (pittsburgh)
UPMC McKeesport and St Margaret (pittsburgh area)
West Penn (pittsburgh)
Long Beach Medical Center (Long Beach, NY)
Pennisula Hospital (Far Rockaway, NY)
St John's Episcopal (Far Rockaway, NY)
Good Samaritan Hospital (ny)

if anyone has had any personal experiences at these places, or knows anything about rotations there, i would appreciate the info :) (again, pm if you'd prefer)

RS-

As you know, I already gave you my comments about St. John's Episcopal in a PM. I'll just tell you what I've heard about a couple of the others in the NYC area:

Long Beach Medical Center (Long Beach, NY) - had a friend who did Family Practice rotation there... and loved it! But, it's pretty far out. If you are not going to bring a car, you'll have to ride the LIRR and busses, or take a long walk after getting off the LIRR (which is especially brutal in the winter time). The monthly pass for LIRR (I believe) is $130. If you can live in midtown Manhattan, jump on the LIRR at Penn Station and go to the hospital each morning, it's going to take you 75+ minutes to get there one-way. :( But, you can make use of it as good, uninterupted study time, you know?

Pennisula Hospital (Far Rockaway, NY) - Similar comments to St. John's Episcopal that I already PM'd you about... and close by too. You'd have to live somewhere near the JFK bound subway A train. And, it'll take you 45-60 minutes to get there each morning if you use the subway. But, it's a really nice ride in the morning going across Jamaica Bay (actually, it's the only thing redeeming about the trip) unless you decide to live in Far Rockaway... which I do not recommend, if you can avoid it.

St John's Episcopal (Far Rockaway, NY) - As previously stated...

Good Samaritan Hospital (ny) - no clue

Good luck.

-Skip

I'm in Pittsburgh, but have only been at West Penn so far. It is a friendly place, and I have had a great experience so far.

One other thing you may want to think about, depending on your personal situation, is the cost of living in the place you are going. The budget for LECOM doesn't change whether you are in Erie or NYC, which is somewhat ridiculous in my opinion, but its a fact. I know of people in my class who were originally NYC people, but had to change once they went down to look for apartments and figured out their financial situation. Pgh is very comprable to Erie as far as rent etc, so it works out okay. If you would be living at home with family or aren't worried about money, this may not apply, but I know that although the clinical experience in NYC may be great, there was no way in hell I could pull of living on LECOM loans in such an expensive area.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision!

Hey hermione,
Are you at West Penn now? I'm at West Penn doing ambulatory (FP) - maybe we have seen each other in the hospital along the way!

DOtobe said:
Hey hermione,
Are you at West Penn now? I'm at West Penn doing ambulatory (FP) - maybe we have seen each other in the hospital along the way!

Most likely, I just finished 8 weeks of surgery, now I'm doing a 4 week ortho elective. Not so much fun, but I waited too long to find an elective so I had to take what I could get. I see lots of LECOMers around the halls, but I only know us by our coats. I rarely recognize faces. Anyway have fun with FP, I can't wait for the next two weeks to go by...then its VACATION for me! Yea!!

Hey fellow LECOMers,

I am also at West Penn now and loving it. I am doing two weeks of Hem/Onc and two weeks of Pulmonary (start that one Monday). We've all probably passed each other I'm sure.

As for Pittsburgh hospitals, I've been to West Penn, Mercy, and Alle-Kiski (actually in Natrona Heights). West Penn and Mercy are both great hospitals. Both very student friendly with lots of teaching, great attendings and residents. I was only at each one month, but the impressions I've gotten are great, and I will definitely be applying to both for residency. Alle-Kiski is part of West Penn Allegheny Health System, but it's definitely the little runt of the group. An okay experience there, but I was mostly outpatient at a private office (Ob/Gyn).

If you have any other questions about the hospitals, I can try to answer them. I was also at Conemaugh Memorial in Johnstown. Very good and beautiful hospital, but the town leaves a lot to be desired for younger folks.

Good luck in choosing.

njdo

Did anyone go to Procedues Day at Conemaugh last year?

hermione said:
Most likely, I just finished 8 weeks of surgery, now I'm doing a 4 week ortho elective. Not so much fun, but I waited too long to find an elective so I had to take what I could get. I see lots of LECOMers around the halls, but I only know us by our coats. I rarely recognize faces. Anyway have fun with FP, I can't wait for the next two weeks to go by...then its VACATION for me! Yea!!

Same here....I have vacation coming up in two weeks too :thumbup:

Already have two residency interviews scheduled for that time :eek:

DOtobe said:
Same here....I have vacation coming up in two weeks too :thumbup:

Already have two residency interviews scheduled for that time :eek:

That is great news, congrats! What specialty did you decide on, if you don't mind my asking? I'm still very very undecided!

I'm applying for FP this year. :)

Thanks, NurseyK... :)

How are the bunnies??

DOtobe said:
Thanks, NurseyK... :)

How are the bunnies??

Bunz are doing well! Buster has had a lot of performances lately, so he has a bit of "star-attitude" -- Hubby called me last nite and put me on speakerphone to tell Buster to go to bed b/c he was ignoring my Hubby (of course he listened to Mommy!). Hermione is well....Hermione...loafing around, acting like she's posing for bunny-Vogue.

{sigh} It's tough being a bun. :laugh:

Kat :D

I almost spit out my chai when I read your post!

:laugh:

*trying to picture "bunny Vogue"* :laugh:

Another Harry Potter fan I take it??

Hermione is a cool name! :D

well we got our schedules today . . . i'm in pittsburgh, and i start out with two months of IM, followed by OB etc etc. with surgery somewhere in the middle.
thanks for your input, everyone :)

Which hospitals are you rotating through? Have you figured that out with your group yet?

I think you'll like Pittsburgh (of course, I may be biased because I am from the Pittsburgh area :) )

have not yet met with my group yet . . . people are being all psycho and want to meet immediately (these people are not LDP) and dont seem to understand that us LDPers have a respiratory exam tomorrow and a CODA midterm on wednesday :mad: we have a month to meet!!! people are crazy. once i figure it all out, though, i'll post it and you can give me a heads up at what i've gotten myself into . . . :p