LECOM Seton Hill - Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rosszcsont

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LECOM Seton Hill Class of 2016! Here we go!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be coming up from Texas! Where are y'all from?

I am coming from Texas too ! Right now , I am shopping for winter boots and thick coat style "parkas" like to go for the North Pole or Alaska ! may I overdo a little bit... maybe I should not be so cold like that compared to Texas !! come on !:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm from right outside of greensburg and have been there a couple of times, theres a facebook page where this is a lot of good info i checked out about housing and things to do... any questions..let me know

I'm coming from Arizona. Big change from the desert, but it sure was nice during interviews. Can't wait.

Hi! I'm coming from Florida. When are you all planning to start looking for apartments?

Yeah, the facebook page is EXTREMELY helpful. I was planning on flying up there to look at apartments in April or May. Has anyone gotten the welcome packet yet?

I will be coming to Greensburg as well! Coming in from western Mass.
For those of you familiar with the area, any tips on finding a place to stay for my wife and I and our house full of pets. I'm thinking trying to find a house, and maybe share rooms with other students. Any thoughts?

Me, my wife, and our dog are looking at maybe getting a house as well. Maybe we could figure something out. When are you guys heading over there?

Ahhh, my alma mater! I went to undergrad there many moons ago (it was still all women) and absolutely loved it! When I was there, there were more good options for houses than apartments. I lived out the back gate (past the Sister's retirement home), down the country road in a nice 3br house with a dog. It was a little far to walk, but you certainly could.

Don't know if they have on campus housing for grad students, but it would be super convenient. I lived in the largest dorm (for 5) up on one of the 'turrets' of the castle in the admin building overlooking the tree-lined drive. They also used to have single rooms. It's nice to be able to roll out of bed and walk downstairs to eat without going outside. Plus, you don't have to worry about parking, which I've heard has become more of an issue.

Good Luck, y'all! It can get chilly there, but it's soooo beautiful from late spring to fall.

Hi! I'm coming from Florida. When are you all planning to start looking for apartments?
It must be a big change like me from Texas ! Hey , just need to have more thick clothes and boots for the snow in winter !:D

I'm coming from Arizona. Big change from the desert, but it sure was nice during interviews. Can't wait.
If you can survive ARIZONA desert , you can survive Greensburg snow, haha !:laugh:
Anyway, the cold weather will help us to feel less frustrated staying inside for studying.:D

I have heard about the Loft and don't know if it is really good or not.It is not the cheapest but I hope to rent a place where there are almost all LECOM students, because of the quietness for the study...undergrads will have tendency to want to party and go crazy as often as they can.Renting a house where you can share with other LECOM students is a good deal ! I also would like not to commute too much, so a mile or so from the school would be a good for me. I already send the deposit but have not received any matriculation packet yet. Does the books list will come with the package too ?

Hey I was wondering when all of you guys that have been accepted into Seton Hill so far like sent in your secondary and how long it took to gain an interview. I feel like I have been waiting forever to hear anything back...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering when all of you guys that have been accepted into Seton Hill so far like sent in your secondary and how long it took to gain an interview. I feel like I have been waiting forever to hear anything back...

Supplemental done: 7.29.11
Interview invite: 8.8.11
Interview: 10.21.11
Acceptance: The letter in the mail was dated 10.26.11. I received it 11.3.11. 13 days, and I'm down in TX.

I can empathize with you on it feeling like forever. It was a horrible wait. Unfortunately, I think the holidays slowed down the normal processing time for you significantly. Best of luck!:thumbup:

Ok thank you. I feel like I applied so late because I had to retake my MCAT. I was all ready to send everything in August but that didn't happen due taking my MCAT again in September so yeah not real happy about that but nothing I can do now except wait. They didn't start processing my secondary until 11/8. I actually am a bio major at Seton Hill now and could have opted in to the LECOM program my sophomore year but didn't because I did not know what I wanted to do. I would have already been accepted because I meet all the qualifications I would have needed but guess I get to wait now.

Thank you though and congrats

Last edited:

I sent in my secondary in August I believe, got an interview in early October and received acceptance mid October.

Hi Play9 ! Here is my timeline with Lecom SH :
- 10/18 secondary completed and send
- 10/31 interview invite for interview on 12/06
- Acceptance letter received on 12/12 and I am in Texas !

Just be patient and good luck on the application process...:)

I have heard about the Loft and don't know if it is really good or not.It is not the cheapest but I hope to rent a place where there are almost all LECOM students, because of the quietness for the study...undergrads will have tendency to want to party and go crazy as often as they can.Renting a house where you can share with other LECOM students is a good deal ! I also would like not to commute too much, so a mile or so from the school would be a good for me. I already send the deposit but have not received any matriculation packet yet. Does the books list will come with the package too ?

I lived close to greensburg and I checked out the Lofts, it is furnished but not the cheapest, and its a little dormy to me. I looked around at other apartments and some of the nicer ones are unfurnished, but are super nice. I definitely would want to room with other LECOM students and live pretty close to campus. I called the office and they said they are going to start putting it together next week, and I'm not sure about the book list. EXCITED for next year!!

FYI: Book lists for class of 2014 and I believe 2015, didn't come out until May.

Hey everyone,

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday and sent my deposit in today! I'm really excited to meet everyone! I'm coming from Chautauqua, NY, which is about 3 hours north of greensburg. I'm looking for an unfurnished single apartment, preferably in a complex building with other LECOM students. Does anyone who lives in the area have any ideas? Also, would anyone want to set up a facebook group for the 2016 class? I bet a lot of our future classmates would be on fb and maybe not checking these forums. :)

Hey everyone,

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday and sent my deposit in today! I'm really excited to meet everyone! I'm coming from Chautauqua, NY, which is about 3 hours north of greensburg. I'm looking for an unfurnished single apartment, preferably in a complex building with other LECOM students. Does anyone who lives in the area have any ideas? Also, would anyone want to set up a facebook group for the 2016 class? I bet a lot of our future classmates would be on fb and maybe not checking these forums. :)

Congratulations for your acceptance and welcome to Lecom SH class of 2016. You are right ! there is no facebook group for the 2016 class. Maybe you want to set it up, and if you do, I will be the first one on the list :) ! I am also looking for renting a complex where I can share with other Lecom students and is very closed to the campus.Cannot wait to see all my future classmates !

Just to let your guys know, I just created the group and is now available !! :)

I am coming from Lake George, NY. Ideally, I would like to find a place with 3-5 other people who play music on a regular basis, and are excited to get outdoors as much as possible (when we're not working of course). Let me know if this sounds like something you'd be interested in.
[email protected]

~Kelly

Hey guys congrats on your acceptances! I am putting my house on the market in Greensburg, 2 miles from Seton Hill campus and right next to Westmoreland Mall.
I lived there through my 3 year family practice residency and it served my young family well. It is a great starter home, my wife and I moved in 5 years ago and had 2 kids while living there. It's in a great, safe neighborhood in Hempfield school district (which is excellent if you have kids- i'm an alumnus) There's a pool and nice deck, so good for entertaining on weekends. Link is below. If anyone is interested. If someone wants to see it, best bet is to go through the website to get a showing. We are listing with a real estate agent but you can message me and i'll try to respond if questions.

http://www.trulia.com/property/1039443391-604-Santone-Dr-Greensburg-PA-15601

The Lofts are alright, and do have a number of medical students, but that doesn't mean there aren't any parties there. Med students may study a lot more than anything else, but we still like to have fun. If you want to avoid parties then I would rent a place with just a few people away from campus. There are plenty of nice, cheap 2-3 bedrooms in Greensburg.

As a side-note, I would avoiding buying books until you get here and see what you need/want. The first few weeks you will just be taking Histology, Anatomy, and Embryology, so those books would be more than enough to get you by until after the refund checks come in. And to be honest, those books aren't even strictly necessary for the courses.

Is it just me or does Seton Hill remind anyone of Griffindor from Harry Potter? I'm so excited to be admitted to the DO program there through LECOM. Is there anyone else there already who can give me some advice about the town and the University?

Is it just me or does Seton Hill remind anyone of Griffindor from Harry Potter? I'm so excited to be admitted to the DO program there through LECOM. Is there anyone else there already who can give me some advice about the town and the University?

What kind of advice are you looking for? I'm starting second year in august.

Why did all of you chose PBL Seton Hill rather than PBL Erie?

What kind of advice are you looking for? I'm starting second year in august.

Hey,

I was just accepted into LDP @ Erie or PBL @ Seton Hill. I have a few questions if you could provide any insight it would be greatly appreciated.
-If you visited Erie, would you choose Seton Hill over Erie again?
-How do you feel about anatomy without cadavers?
-Is housing reasonable/easy to find being that Seton Hill is a college town?
-Do you find yourself on campus everyday even in PBL?
-Are you happy there?
-Has research become more available with surrounding institutions since the school's start?
-I may be coming with my girlfriend, can you say anything about the job market outside of medical fields?

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I was just accepted into LDP @ Erie or PBL @ Seton Hill. I have a few questions if you could provide any insight it would be greatly appreciated.
-If you visited Erie, would you choose Seton Hill over Erie again?
-How do you feel about anatomy without cadavers?
-Is housing reasonable/easy to find being that Seton Hill is a college town?
-Do you find yourself on campus everyday even in PBL?
-Are you happy there?
-Has research become more available with surrounding institutions since the school's start?
-I may be coming with my girlfriend, can you say anything about the job market outside of medical fields?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a MS1 at Seton Hill. I can answer some of your questions.
I would pick Seton Hill over Erie based on area. I feel we get neglected sometimes from the admin in Erie but it's no big deal, imo.
Anatomy without cadavers makes learning anatomy more challenging but it's definitely doable. Erie has a paid summer program for cadaver dissection that you can do after your first year. This year it's June 3-July 5th. Pay is minimum wage but the experience might be good.
Housing has 2 extremes, really nice and expensive ($1500) or not so nice and cheap (~$700). I recommend The Lofts or Oakridge. The area of Greensburg is quite safe but people are bad at driving.
You will be on campus almost everyday for at least a couple hours. First semester you'll have embryo and histo lecture, anatomy group discussions, OMM and PBL (once a week). Second semester slows down a bit with PBL monday, wednesday, friday. OMM/OPP tuesdays. H&P thursdays. But the majority of the time I have at least 6 hours to study on my own (I try to keep a 7a-6p schedule). Also toward the end of a PBL unit (prior to the exam) you will probably have 1-2 weeks without PBL meeting so you can study.
I'm really happy I went with PBL. I think you get a better education because you're forced to read and learn everything in your books. Most lecture based pathways provide powerpoint that you just end up memorizing without fully understanding concepts. It takes alot of work and self-disciplined but it's worth it.
No research opportunities that I know of. You can always contact research docs at local medical centers and volunteer over the summer. That's my plan.
My wife is a nurse (very easy to find a job). So I don't know much about the non-medical job market. Although, I do see quite a few "now hiring" signs around.

I'm a MS1 at Seton Hill. I can answer some of your questions.
I would pick Seton Hill over Erie based on area. I feel we get neglected sometimes from the admin in Erie but it's no big deal, imo.
Anatomy without cadavers makes learning anatomy more challenging but it's definitely doable. Erie has a paid summer program for cadaver dissection that you can do after your first year. This year it's June 3-July 5th. Pay is minimum wage but the experience might be good.
Housing has 2 extremes, really nice and expensive ($1500) or not so nice and cheap (~$700). I recommend The Lofts or Oakridge. The area of Greensburg is quite safe but people are bad at driving.
You will be on campus almost everyday for at least a couple hours. First semester you'll have embryo and histo lecture, anatomy group discussions, OMM and PBL (once a week). Second semester slows down a bit with PBL monday, wednesday, friday. OMM/OPP tuesdays. H&P thursdays. But the majority of the time I have at least 6 hours to study on my own (I try to keep a 7a-6p schedule). Also toward the end of a PBL unit (prior to the exam) you will probably have 1-2 weeks without PBL meeting so you can study.
I'm really happy I went with PBL. I think you get a better education because you're forced to read and learn everything in your books. Most lecture based pathways provide powerpoint that you just end up memorizing without fully understanding concepts. It takes alot of work and self-disciplined but it's worth it.
No research opportunities that I know of. You can always contact research docs at local medical centers and volunteer over the summer. That's my plan.
My wife is a nurse (very easy to find a job). So I don't know much about the non-medical job market. Although, I do see quite a few "now hiring" signs around.

Thank you for the information! I am pretty set on picking Seton Hill, as I am somewhat non-traditional at this point, and can't really imagine sitting in lectures for 40 hours a week. It'll be a change of pace having never learned mostly from textbooks, but feel like when I did turn to the textbook in the past I did, as you said, understand the concepts much better than when presented in a lecture. The only thing I was REALLY concerned with was anatomy without cadavers, but the summer program sounds like something I would be interested in. Also, being close to Pittsburgh, I assume there have to be more jobs than out in Erie, esp. because my GF is interested in art. It looks like I'll be sending in my matriculation fee soon!