Lecom SH PBL or Erie LDP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocInTheMaking23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current Post back at Erie and have just been accepted to Seton Hill and the PBL pathway. I am not sure 100% on if I want to do PBL yet. I think the way they learn is very interesting and I personally have no problem reading through the books. Also I feel like the science background I gained this year through the post bacc program will definitely help for PBL I am just nervous about throwing myself into the PBL pathway and not doing well. Do the PBL students have access to the powerpoints still?

So can anyone that is either a SH pbl student or a previous post bacc offer some tips or insights into what they think is a good choice? I know that it is different for each student, but it would be nice to hear from someone that has gone through post bacc and done pbl.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current Post back at Erie and have just been accepted to Seton Hill and the PBL pathway. I am not sure 100% on if I want to do PBL yet. I think the way they learn is very interesting and I personally have no problem reading through the books. Also I feel like the science background I gained this year through the post bacc program will definitely help for PBL I am just nervous about throwing myself into the PBL pathway and not doing well. Do the PBL students have access to the powerpoints still?

So can anyone that is either a SH pbl student or a previous post bacc offer some tips or insights into what they think is a good choice? I know that it is different for each student, but it would be nice to hear from someone that has gone through post bacc and done pbl.

Thanks!

I'm neither, but...

How are you performing in the postbacc program so far? Do you enjoy it? Do you like Erie (enough)?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the postbacc program more LDP-style than PBL?

I would consider all of these things before making a potentially drastic change.

I'm neither, but...

How are you performing in the postbacc program so far? Do you enjoy it? Do you like Erie (enough)?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the postbacc program more LDP-style than PBL?

I would consider all of these things before making a potentially drastic change.

The program is LDP with lectures every day and powerpoints provided to you. However, I much rather prefer reading the book on the material and supplementing the reading with the powerpoints provided. My lowest grade last semester was an 87 in Genetics so I would like to think I am performing well. We don't get any rank or anything so I can't really say how I am performing in comparison to others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student at LECOM-SH, although I wasn't in the post-bacc, and actually have never been to Erie.

We aren't provided with the LDP powerpoints or other materials-- you are learning only from the textbooks (and other review books and sources you might come across, like Pathoma). PBL is very self-guided, both in figuring what's important in the reading materials and in scheduling your study habits day-to-day. It can be a great program, but it's admittedly not for everyone. If you think you'd benefit more from the guidance you get in LDP, that's okay.

The program is LDP with lectures every day and powerpoints provided to you. However, I much rather prefer reading the book on the material and supplementing the reading with the powerpoints provided. My lowest grade last semester was an 87 in Genetics so I would like to think I am performing well. We don't get any rank or anything so I can't really say how I am performing in comparison to others.

Hey DocInTheMaking23. Congrats on your acceptance! We have currently have 5 former-MS1 students from SH-PBL who failed their first semester and are now in our post bac program this semester. You might want to find one of them and talk to them about PBL.

Thanks!

Ugh I hate answering this question. But, it is a very good question, an important one too. It really hinges on how you approach knowledge acquisition. With that said, I guess I can only offer my version for consideration.

I had always been lecture-based until med school. I liked lectures, I had no problem with getting up early, no problem with sinking a huge chunk of day into classroom, no problem dealing with the occasional not so stellar professors in college.

But, having done more than a semester of PBL, I cringe at the idea of being in lecture all day, not to say it's a bad system, but having had the PBL layout, I just now can't imagine doing the daily grind of 9a-4p in the classroom. I would much rather do the 8a-8p at my own discretion. I guess for me it comes down to valuing the freedom of being able to construct my day, which gives me a great sense of control.

Reactions: 1 user