lecom waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red5

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the number of waitlisted applicants that actually get in? What is the timeline and the reality of this occurring? How does one plead there case and be heard?

Thanks for any help, this is my first submission.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok... 1st of all, have you been officially waitlisted? Were you notified of a wait list status after being interviewed, or have you simply not heard anything?

I have been officially waitlisted, but have not contacted them yet to inquire further.

Members don't see this ad :)
Red5,
If you do not mind my asking, when did you interview, and when did you receive your wait list status? I interviewed at LECOM last week, and I'm curious as to how long they kept you waiting before notifying you of your status. I'm wondering if they even have any spots open.
Thanks.

Red5-

As far as obtaining info. on you status, I would call the school directly and ask for updates. I believe the class is filled, which would explain for your waitlist status, also the MCATs are low which probably made them hold off on you. Unfortunately, you're in a #'s game here this late in the application process. Waitlisting will happen at all schools, especially ones that are filled (LECOM) where strong #'s are what run the show.

I interviewed on the 28th of January. They sent out my waitlist letter on Feb 10, but I didn't receive it until Feb 26.

I would call the school and ask if the class is filled. I interviewed Jan 31st, and have been accepted. HOWEVER, I know someone else who interviewed Feb. 8th, and didn't hear a thing yet. Is there anyone else who interviewed and didn't hear anything? Anyone else who is waitlisted? Does anyone know for sure if LECOM is filled????

DO 2 B: were you accepted anywhere else? Have you made a final decision yet?

Actually, I did accept at LECOM because they are very strict about the 2 week deadline for your deposit... but I can't say that LECOM is my final decision. By the way, don't worry about your MCAT's. I know at LEAST 5 people with MCAT's equivalent or LOWER than yours with equivalent GPA's that have been interviewed and accepted at SEVERAL schools.
Probably they are just tight for spots and God knows what some of these schools are looking at!

An MS2 at LECOM tells me the class is "full". Anything could happen I guess, there is always that last minute "scramble" at all schools.

The official stance of LECOM, as of last week, was that they did have a few slots open - however, they would not give any information on the numbers at all. They said the openings change on a daily basis and they also reminded us that they were approaching the end of their interviewing cycle. My impression is that the slot(s) have already been aligned with candidate(s) they are extremely interested in (hope I was one of those, by the way) - yet, they still need to interview that individual. Whether that person(s) accepts or not, who knows?

Thanks Old Fart, best of luck to us both and anyone else interested in LECOM.

Thanks Old Fart, best of luck to us both and anyone else interested in LECOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
posted 03-22-2000 05:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hear you man. I just got my alternate list letter from LECOM today. Actually I am surprised considering that is was my first interview and that one of them felt that I was not giving him enough attention and eye contact. Waiting to hear from KCOM. If antone knows anything about the LECOM alternate list please inform me.

Spoke to LECOM after receiving my alternate list letter last week. They said there are approximately 50 people on the list, which should go down within 2 weeks. Some candidates may not call in to confirm that they want to stay on the list within the 2-week time frame given in the letter. Also, I asked how many people usually got pulled from the list (they were very vague), however it sounds like anywhere from 1 to 2 to 10 may be granted an admittance. Also, I asked about ranking of the list, and I was told that they do not rank the candidates on the list ? not sure why not, or if I really believe that though. Good luck to you.

i just painfully withdrew my acceptance from lecom, so if it helps at all, there is one more spot open...it was a very tough decision...

My we ask why you declined LECOM? Where did you go instead?

[This message has been edited by EW5817 (edited 03-28-2000).]

Thanks for letting us know that at least one spot opened up.

as i said, it was a tough decision to let lecom go, i decided to go to umdnj-som. For me, class size is very important, lecom's is not too bad, but umdnj's is only 75. Also the university hospital at umdnj is an advantage, as well as being in the umdnj system which has 2 other m.d. schools and turns out to be the largest in the nation. location is also quite nice, and all in all i think it was a better fit since it's more relaxed in terms of attendance and dress codes. lecom's curriculum blew me away, but then i found out that umdnj had the integrated systems approach in the second year... those lecture halls at lecom were quite impressive, especially compared to the regular classroom type at umdnj, but i guess you don't need a big lecture hall when you only have 75 students. i really got a good feeling at lecom, and i still think it's a good school, but i had to go with my gut feeling, and i couldn't keep holding up two spots, i'm actually quite happy with my decision now. good luck to you guys...

Just wanted to let y'all know that there is movement on the waitlist at LECOM. I got extended an offer earlier this afternoon.

I was an alternate at LECOM, but today I was accepted for the PBL program. There is hope out there for people on the waitlist.

Hey I too was contacted today about the PBL. They said that I am still on the alternate list for the Trad. curr. but they wanted to know if I was interested in being considered for the PBL class of 2004. I said yes. They said that I would know by the end of the week. Is this similar to your experience? In all honesty I am a little worried about the new PBL program.

My offer also was for PBL. Since then, I have reviewed the info in regard to the program on LECOM's website - sounds very exciting, will see what info is in the letter we are supposed to receive by the end of the week, and then will probably ask a ton of questions. My main concern is anatomy - I have no experience in this subject what so ever.

Old Fart--
Please email me so we can talk about the PBL. I just read your post on this string and realized I now have concerns about the system.

old fart mail me- i talked to them today about the anatomy in the summer.

I'm an MS1 at LECOM. I can tell you that spots can open up for students on waiting lists even as late as the first week of classes in August. People in our class who went through the PBL program will swear by it that it was the best way to make the transition to the intensity of medical school. I'm new to this site. Feel free to contact me with any questions.