legacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitesoxfan2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does being a legacy help in med school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

As my father would say,"Does a bear Sh#@ in the woods!?"

You bet it does. You will see spaces on the secondary specifically for mentioning if any of your family members are current students or graduates of the school. If you have any family ties to a school, MAKE SURE the school knows it.

Good Luck,

Rangers1

I'm sure it does too, but truly, that's just not right. People shouldn't get into medical school b/c of something about their parents... I'm not referring to those are legacies but could have gotten in on their own accords, I'm talking about those who had no chance at all of ever getting into any medical school but get in b/c of this...
I guess that's just the way it is. It's like that in the real world, and it's like that in academia. Doesn't make it right though.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for replying. good luck to both of you

steeltoe-

while i agree that legacy status alone shouldn't gain entrance into school, i do think that being a legacy does have some tangible benefits and appeal to an admissions committee. people whose parents are doctors probably have a better idea of what it's like to practice, what the hours are, how it affects the rest of a person and family's life, etc. i'm not disagreeing with you, don't get me wrong, i'm just adding on a little. and since you'll probably ask, yes, i will be a legacy applicant, and no, i don't think that i am entitled to a place in a class because of that fact.

jl

I agree, being a legacy pre-med has helped me see what i'll be getting myself into... and i'm sure the adcoms feel the same way.

Pre-med wannabes and kids who turned pre-med because of peer pressure may not know what it's like to 'live' as a physician, and may not know about the lifestyles that physicians lead, both while in medical school, and with respect to personal life, AND, how this career affects the children of physicians.

This career has many ripple effects on a person's life and on their family as well.

-raindodger