Legal BLAH ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaggerPlate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

I'd report it in the interest of integrity. Adcoms understand some reckless behavior in college. Granted, the fact that it was only a few months ago is a bit of a blemish, but hey.

That said, the 'arrest' won't show up on your record. What you described above is the legal definition of arrest (detained by police, not free to leave). However, it is not the same as what would show up on a background check - you need to be booked and charged for that.

If you're that worried, buy a background check on yourself and see what it says. Of course, everyone is 'EXTREMELY worried' about messing up their chances for medical school, but it doesn't stop them from doing things like this. Be honest; it shouldn't be a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then spend a little money and get a background check on yourself. They typically include cursory searchs of NCIC, state/county records, etc. "Disturbing the peace" is an ordinance violation -- like a parking ticket. The non-arrest won't show up.

im pretty sure that if it has been dismissed (ask the clerk of the court), then it is not a conviction and wont show up on a background check. Just keep your mouth shut.

Just by yourself a background check, it will clear all of your questions up for sure.

I'd report it in the interest of integrity. Adcoms understand some reckless behavior in college. Granted, the fact that it was only a few months ago is a bit of a blemish, but hey.

That said, the 'arrest' won't show up on your record. What you described above is the legal definition of arrest (detained by police, not free to leave). However, it is not the same as what would show up on a background check - you need to be booked and charged for that.

If you're that worried, buy a background check on yourself and see what it says. Of course, everyone is 'EXTREMELY worried' about messing up their chances for medical school, but it doesn't stop them from doing things like this. Be honest; it shouldn't be a big deal.

THIS IS INSANE.

Who knows how a school would react to this? Could be positive, could be negative. Want to take a chance?

If he is honestly answering the question without admitting to anything, then he should not admit to anything. Put your best foot forward and give the med school what it asks for. And don't give me that "it shows your human" crap. The guy without the MIP can show he is human without making a mistake and he is the guy you are competing with for a spot in the school.

The OP's background check will not say he was convicted of anything if he wasn't. (OP, make sure you were not convicted in paying the ticket.)

And I'll tell you this: If Zipmedic were charged with MIP in college, he'd be singing a different tune.

Just by yourself a background check, it will clear all of your questions up for sure.

Sure--- But are all background checks created equal? Is the CBC that a med school uses equivalent to a cheap one on the internet?

Not true. If you are detained, and a cop writes you a ticket, then the police dept where you got nailed will have an "arrest record" for you. At least in Ill, where I have had a number of friends go through this.

And I'll tell you this: If Zipmedic were charged with MIP in college, he'd be singing a different tune.

Don't be so sure. You know nothing about me. Further, I'd know that MIP is hardly worth worrying about.

Don't be so sure. You know nothing about me. Further, I'd know that MIP is hardly worth worrying about.

Yes, you know exactly what adcoms think when they see an MIP arrest. Because you know their minds.

There are 2 ways it can be interpreted, negatively and neutrally. Why take a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you know exactly what adcoms think when they see an MIP arrest. Because you know their minds.

I know what adcoms here have told us and what the consensus has been the hundreds of times this has been asked just in the last three months alone.

There are 2 ways it can be interpreted, negatively and neutrally. Why take a chance?

This, however, is a perfectly valid opinion and good advice; I respect that.

I know what adcoms here have told us and what the consensus has been the hundreds of times this has been asked just in the last three months alone.

This, however, is a perfectly valid opinion and good advice; I respect that.

Time to think rationally though. If it is not a conviction and schools ask only about convictions. Or if it is not a felony/misdemeanor and schools ask only about those. Why would you say anything? There is NO upside.

Now in saying nothing, whey may find it in a background check, but that is HIGHLY unlikely. But they will see the record and see that you were not dishonest. So whats the problem?

Time to think rationally though. If it is not a conviction and schools ask only about convictions. Or if it is not a felony/misdemeanor and schools ask only about those. Why would you say anything? There is NO upside.

Now in saying nothing, whey may find it in a background check, but that is HIGHLY unlikely. But they will see the record and see that you were not dishonest. So whats the problem?

Very true, and thank you for the advice. I don't have any misdemeanor/felony to report, none at all ...

It was not a conviction for a misdemeanor, it was reduced to a conviction for an infraction, which as stated earlier is like a parking ticket; doesn't show up anywhere. So, I have not been convicted of anything I need to report (Amcas says specifically that you do NOT report infractions). However, are you saying that the arrest or court records would come up in a background check?? Because if so, I would not have been dishonest in not disclosing it, but it could be bad that it showed up in some form?? Thoughts?

It was not a conviction for a misdemeanor, it was reduced to a conviction for an infraction, which as stated earlier is like a parking ticket; doesn't show up anywhere. So, I have not been convicted of anything I need to report (Amcas says specifically that you do NOT report infractions). However, are you saying that the arrest or court records would come up in a background check?? Because if so, I would not have been dishonest in not disclosing it, but it could be bad that it showed up in some form?? Thoughts?

I have never, ever heard of a background check revealing an infraction. But, there is a record of it somewhere if it has not been expunged.

I have never, ever heard of a background check revealing an infraction. But, there is a record of it somewhere if it has not been expunged.

Can you expunge court or arrest records? (And I talked to a lawyer who said that infractions don't show up and can't be expunged bc they don't go on record.)

Can you expunge court or arrest records? (And I talked to a lawyer who said that infractions don't show up and can't be expunged bc they don't go on record.)

Depends on the state. I know people who have had records expunged from the local police department in Ill.

Depends on the state. I know people who have had records expunged from the local police department in Ill.

Hmm I will have to investigate. Does anyone else know about CA?

Okay now I'm confused ... it seems like you can only expunge court records if you were convicted. So what do the 'court records' look like if you weren't convicted of a misdemeanor of felony?? I also can't really find anything about arrest records.

Okay I know I have like triple posted now err something, but I really think your logic is good here. I get so wrapped up in the situation because it actually is me, but what you said makes perfect sense. I wish I could figure out though if court records and local arrest records come up in a background check. I can't find anything online, but I think I might ask our student legal services. Anyone here law savy and knows???

Anybody ???
You might want to go read the thread on criminal history that is currently active in the non-traditional section. For one thing, we can't tell you anything about how the arrest is treated or what can happen with it - because that varies completely by state law. For medical school, it's unlikely that you'll have to report it. For licensure someday, in many states you have to report all arrests even if they didn't result in convictions and even if they've been expunged. Expunged arrests never really go away - the FBI/NCIC will always have a federal record. Whether your arrest was reported to the NCIC is hard to tell - perhaps not if you weren't formally booked. However, for licensure - in states where expunged arrests must be reported, I wouldn't fool around with that - don't make your decision based on whether or not it "shows up." Fraud in initial licensure application is a far more serious crime than MIP, and it can cost you your license years down the road. It's happened quite often.

It will all show up. Trust me when I tell you not to try to pull a fast one over on people. Disclose it if they ask.

A cursory search will show the disturbing the peace, which sets off red flags aplenty (because this --along with impeding traffic -- are catch sorts of charges that many more serious offenses get pled down to in many states).

So they'll see that for sure, and if they know that it's a red flag and know where to look, they'll find the original charge too.

The good news is that most people won't do that kind of leg work. The bad news is if you lie and get caught you were just caught lying.

You have to make the call. I would 100% recommend the truth if it comes up.

Kevin

It will all show up. Trust me when I tell you not to try to pull a fast one over on people. Disclose it if they ask.

A cursory search will show the disturbing the peace, which sets off red flags aplenty (because this --along with impeding traffic -- are catch sorts of charges that many more serious offenses get pled down to in many states).

So they'll see that for sure, and if they know that it's a red flag and know where to look, they'll find the original charge too.

The good news is that most people won't do that kind of leg work. The bad news is if you lie and get caught you were just caught lying.

Kevin (a lawyer)

See, I don't understand that. Everyone that I have talked to (lawyers, police officers etc) have said that infractions don't go on record. Plus, AMCAS says that you don't have to report infractions, only convicted misdemeanors and felonies. Also, if people can find it, and trace it to the original charge; what is the point? I mean, how can people screen on something you were charged of, but not convicted for? I don't think I need to report this on the primary app, but are you saying that in any type of background check all of this situation (the infraction and the cite and release) will show up??

You might want to go read the thread on criminal history that is currently active in the non-traditional section. For one thing, we can't tell you anything about how the arrest is treated or what can happen with it - because that varies completely by state law. For medical school, it's unlikely that you'll have to report it. For licensure someday, in many states you have to report all arrests even if they didn't result in convictions and even if they've been expunged. Expunged arrests never really go away - the FBI/NCIC will always have a federal record. Whether your arrest was reported to the NCIC is hard to tell - perhaps not if you weren't formally booked. However, for licensure - in states where expunged arrests must be reported, I wouldn't fool around with that - don't make your decision based on whether or not it "shows up." Fraud in initial licensure application is a far more serious crime than MIP, and it can cost you your license years down the road. It's happened quite often.

I wasn't booked so I know the arrest isn't in the NCIC ( I had to do a background check for a job a little while after and I told them it was going to become an infraction, but the arrest didn't show up there). I really don't think I officially have to report anything (unless a secondary specifically asked), but here is my problem: I don't want to report anything I don't have to because I wouldn't want to lessen my chances, but I don't want to hide anything and have it show up in the background check (especially because reporting an infraction doesn't seem like too big of a deal). I asked someone at the court, and they said that the kind of background checks that a grad school would conduct wouldn't bring up anything, but I'm getting some conflicting advice here. I think I should either a. talk with a lawyer to make sure I am answering everything honestly, and/or b. do a background check on myself to make sure nothing comes up. Would it be a bad thing if I was honest, but then a background search still found the situation but saw that everything was dismissed and no one asked me to report an infraction? I would feel like I was being sneaky or something, and I don't want to mess with any ground for dismissal. Also, as far as getting my license goes, I would be 100% honest there, but I don't think my situation would result in any problems there.

Kevin (a lawyer)

Okay I know I keep annoyingly posting in my own thread numerous times, but since you are a lawyer you might be able to answer some of my questions. Okay here is the situation that is bothering me right now. The primary app asks: 'have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor' I haven't, there is a clause on the AMCAS page that says if you were charged and arrested, but the charge was reduced to an infraction you don't have to report. SO I answer honestly. Then a secondary app asks me ' have you ever been convicted of a crime (don't include infractions)' so I answer No, honestly again. However, a background search is conducted and the cursory county search shows that I had an infraction or was arrested in x area. So, what exactly is going to come up. I mean is the background check going to show the entire records of the court, and make it really easy to show I was originally charged with a misdemeanor, or would it not, or would anyone even investigate this anymore? Also, is it possible to have the court records expunged, or no because it was only an infraction?? Sorry if these posts are too long winded, I can start PMing you if you want. Thanks in advance!!

Okay I know I keep annoyingly posting in my own thread numerous times, but since you are a lawyer you might be able to answer some of my questions. Okay here is the situation that is bothering me right now. The primary app asks: 'have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor' I haven't, there is a clause on the AMCAS page that says if you were charged and arrested, but the charge was reduced to an infraction you don't have to report. SO I answer honestly. Then a secondary app asks me ' have you ever been convicted of a crime (don't include infractions)' so I answer No, honestly again. However, a background search is conducted and the cursory county search shows that I had an infraction or was arrested in x area. So, what exactly is going to come up. I mean is the background check going to show the entire records of the court, and make it really easy to show I was originally charged with a misdemeanor, or would it not, or would anyone even investigate this anymore? Also, is it possible to have the court records expunged, or no because it was only an infraction?? Sorry if these posts are too long winded, I can start PMing you if you want. Thanks in advance!!

There are 2 things you are forgetting here:

1. You told the truth. Please do not forget that. If a medical school wanted to can your application based on a city ordinance violation, they would have asked about it. They don't want to interview people that they would have red flagged to begin with.

2. YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF SOMETHING IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CONVICTED IN A COURT OF LAW. If you were arrested and you recieved a ticket, that does not mean you are guilty. You paid the ticket instead of fighting it, which also does not indicate you are guilty. You need to get over this and get on with your life. Stop acting like you did something wrong and need to pay for it the rest of your life.

There are 2 things you are forgetting here:

1. You told the truth. Please do not forget that. If a medical school wanted to can your application based on a city ordinance violation, they would have asked about it. They don't want to interview people that they would have red flagged to begin with.

2. YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF SOMETHING IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CONVICTED IN A COURT OF LAW. If you were arrested and you recieved a ticket, that does not mean you are guilty. You paid the ticket instead of fighting it, which also does not indicate you are guilty. You need to get over this and get on with your life. Stop acting like you did something wrong and need to pay for it the rest of your life.

Thank you, so far your advice has been very logical and kept me level headed. The reason why I'm so freaked out about it is because in all honesty, the charge was really out of character for me. I'm really not a guy who drinks a lot ( I know this sounds like an excuse so believe it if you want), but it just bothered me so much to get nailed for it when it's something I rarely do. I'm really doing my best to get over it, and as long as I'm honest with the questions; I guess there is nothing else they can do. Thanks again to everyone.

Thank you, so far your advice has been very logical and kept me level headed. The reason why I'm so freaked out about it is because in all honesty, the charge was really out of character for me. I'm really not a guy who drinks a lot ( I know this sounds like an excuse so believe it if you want), but it just bothered me so much to get nailed for it when it's something I rarely do. I'm really doing my best to get over it, and as long as I'm honest with the questions; I guess there is nothing else they can do. Thanks again to everyone.

Why don't you just pay to consult with a lawyer specifically about this issue? I have never done that kind of thing, but I imagine there is no way it will cost more than $1,000, and I expect it would be closer to $100. $100 is a pretty low price for some peace of mind. Besides, with all the other expenses in this process (MCAT, MCAT prep, primaries, secondaries, travel to interviews) the price of a consultation looks pretty minor, and could affect the outcome. As for my opinion on whether it should show up/ whether you should disclose it: I have no clue.

Do you have any pre-law friends from college who are now law students? If I had a legal question, I'd ask someone like that. They might not be full-fledged lawyers, but chances are they are learning similar stuff in law school, so why not take a chance on that before spending money on a practicing lawyer?

Gahhh this is driving me nuts (and I will talk to a lawyer). Okay though, I just read the offical AMCAS question again and it asks: 'Have you ever been convited of a misdemeanor ? Don't include cases where you were charged, but the charges were dropped.' So right there I can honestly answer 'No,' because they literally cover my situation exactly. However, what happens when a background check brings the situation up?? Do Adcoms just see that it happened, but realize that I answered the question honestly and move on? Or is it something that is going to be a problem or what?? I just don't know what happens here??

Also, to the OP, if you can avoid telling schools about the incident with no chance of getting called on it I would suggest that you do so. I would bet at least 95% of aspiring medical students have drunk alcohol before age 21, and I bet none of them are jumping up and down to let adcoms know that they broke the law but got away with it. It's not like you drove drunk and put other people's lives at risk, stole or damaged someone's property, or did something grossly unethical-- you drunk underage and you got caught. As a one time thing it should not even be an issue, but since it might be if I were you and I could manage not bringing it up I would not feel bad at all, because you are not really hiding any more than most of us. Then again, if it does come up I wouldn't sweat it too much, because I think adcoms will understand that everybody does it, but you just got caught. Anyhow, good luck!

Hey, I just lurk this forum but the OP's situation was very similar to mine. In my junior year at UCI I was semi-arrested for an MIP like you were. I was convicted of disturbing the peace and was put before a judge in order to plead my case. I ended up having to do community service hours in exchange for a lessening of my conviction. Technically I was relieved of my misdemeanor and I thought everything would be fine. Fast forward to after taking my MCATs. I pulled out of that ridiculous test with a 30 and combined with my 3.5 GPA I figured I had a shot at some of the lower tier medical schools. I sent primaries to a few and sat on my ass for a few days.

I received secondaries from Tufts, Pittsburg, and Albert Einstein and did my best to put forth my excellence on paper. I came across similar questions as you did (were you ever convincted of a Mis..etc) and to those I had no hesitation replying with a resounding "NO." Everything was peachy as I submitted those apps and to my COMPLETE surprise I received interviews from all three.

I honestly thought I had no shot in the dark. I had gotten a C+ in ochem among other terrible grades, but I guess these schools were willing to look past that. Maybe there was hope for somebody like me :). It wasn't good for long however, as the **** quickly hit the fan.

A week before my interview at Albert Einstein I recieved a call from their admissions office asking about some of the questions on my secondary. The secretary had a weird tone to her voice and I honestly had no idea what was going on. She went through my ENTIRE secondary asking me if I needed to add anything or remove anything from each specific question. I thought that was weird but didn't think too much of it. Anyway at the end of the conversation she sadly told me, "we regret to inform you that we cannot consider you in our applicant pool from here on out, we wish you luck with the rest of your endeavors. *click*" I was so dumbfounded you don't even know.

Within a week I had two more letters (one from Pittsburg and one from Tufts). They both reiterated the same message: We regret to inform you that you are disqualified from possible entrance into the class of 2010. Needless to say I was completely heartbroken :(. I still don't know the EXACT reason for why I was disqualified, but I assume it had to do with my encounter with Johnny Law. What was scary is that the calls and letters came within a week, so somebody or some system had found my misdemeanor and reported it to all schools. I honestly don't want to conspiracy theorize here but it's a possibility.

My premed advisor told me my only course of action is to just take postbacc programs to raise my GPA and even consider doing a masters. I took her advice and I raised my GPA considerably and now I'm doing research for my Public Health Masters program. Hopefully when I apply later on the med schools will be able to look past my history and towards my future. I think with these new extracurriculars and newfound eagerness I should be set. Anyway OP, good luck brother and hopefully this doesn't affect you.

My only advice to you is to report everything - be 100% truthful on your applications and pray to your respective god that the med schools respect your honesty. That's about the only thing I've learned. Good luck, man.:thumbup:

A week before my interview at Albert Einstein I recieved a call from their admissions office asking about some of the questions on my secondary. The secretary had a weird tone to her voice and I honestly had no idea what was going on. She went through my ENTIRE secondary asking me if I needed to add anything or remove anything from each specific question. I thought that was weird but didn't think too much of it. Anyway at the end of the conversation she sadly told me, "we regret to inform you that we cannot consider you in our applicant pool from here on out, we wish you luck with the rest of your endeavors. *click*" I was so dumbfounded you don't even know.

Within a week I had two more letters (one from Pittsburg and one from Tufts). They both reiterated the same message: We regret to inform you that you are disqualified from possible entrance into the class of 2010. Needless to say I was completely heartbroken :(. I still don't know the EXACT reason for why I was disqualified, but I assume it had to do with my encounter with Johnny Law.

Whoa!! That sucks man, but why didn't you email or call them to find out exactly what went wrong? From what you have said that MIP charge seems to be it, but I thought schools did not waste the money on a criminal background check until you were accepted. If that is the case, even if it would show up I don't see how they knew a week before your interview. Since you are applying again, it might make sense just to confirm your suspicions by asking their admissions office. Anyhow, I hope it goes better for you the next time around.

Whoa!! That sucks man, but why didn't you email or call them to find out exactly what went wrong? From what you have said that MIP charge seems to be it, but I thought schools did not waste the money on a criminal background check until you were accepted. If that is the case, even if it would show up I don't see how they knew a week before your interview. Since you are applying again, it might make sense just to confirm your suspicions by asking their admissions office. Anyhow, I hope it goes better for you the next time around.

He is lying. Why would a school ever do a CBC before accepting you? Also, if they did do a CBC and find a charge in his file when why did they not give him a chance to answer to it?

Note also that this guy has posted 3 times to this forum.

He is lying. Why would a school ever do a CBC before accepting you? Also, if they did do a CBC and find a charge in his file when why did they not give him a chance to answer to it?

Everything he said made absolutely no sense. He had all the wrong charges quoted, would never have to do community service for an infraction, and how could a school do a background check on an applicant before even interviewing them. It makes no sense at all. Plus, didn't AMCAS only ask about felonies until the changes in 2008??

Wow, you guys were quick to attack me. You believe what you like, but OP I'm strugging because of this MIP - just be careful.

God forbid I register to post my story in order to HELP the OP. All hail Kikaku, king of the SDN forums. Your shining 500+ post history is one to be marveled at!

If you even read my post I was given a chance to answer it. Albert Einstein called and asked me about every single point on my secondary. I assume because I didn't come clean with them they decided to disqualify me.

And yes of course I tried emailing and calling the proper people. I was very polite about it too and none of them gave me a straightforward answer.

This actually brings me to a question myself, considering I was arrested for the same thing in...hmm, I think it was New Year's Eve right before 2005. I was 20 and was a passenger in my car (friend was driving since I had been drinking) so obviously I was underage with alcohol, however, they did not charge me with anything...booked me in Friday night, kicked me out Monday without any charges or court appearances and basically told me off-the-record not to do it again. Oh I've had several jobs that did BCs or CBCs since then and they never said anything (and I never mentioned it because I'm not obligated to since every job app only asked for misdemeanors, felonies, or some other sort of conviction).

The way I understand it, I will not have to mention this on AMCAS nor anywhere else down the road, since I was neither formally charged with anything and obviously not convicted. Correct?

Wow, you guys were quick to attack me. You believe what you like, but OP I'm strugging because of this MIP - just be careful.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just curious of a few things. A. Why would you not inquire about why all these schools suddenly dropped you? If it was because of the MIP wouldn't you want the chance to explain yourself/just know in general why this happened? B. I'm 99.9% sure that the only way you would be asked to do community service for an infraction would be if you were financially unable to pay the fine, and if you were going to UCI, I doubt that the court would find you unable to pay. C. When you were arrested, were you booked? Also, what did you have to do to get the MIP taken down to an infraction, it sounds like you might have not completed what you were supposed to, and the misdemeanor was convicted. D. Why would any school screen pre-interview unless you had something very obvious (such as reporting it to other schools, but not reporting it to the ones that let you go), it just doesn't make sense. E. What were the secondary questions, and how did you answer them. It seems like you eluded to something, but didn't flat out say it, and this could have led them to giving you a second chance to fess up with the phone call, and when you didn't they didn't have a choice. Sorry if I seemed rude, I feel bad ... trust me I do. Plus, the whole reason I am here is to avoid a situation like this one. It's just that it seems to me that the MIP could have eventually led to problems, but at the stage in the process you were in; it would have been impossible for them to know unless you had done one of the things I listed above. I'm not trying to doubt/ignore you because of my situation, trust me - exactly the opposite, I just find it odd, and even weirder that you didn't even ask why; you just let them deny you three interviews.

OKAYYYYY so a possible explanation for my anz gf's situation, and a little clarity on my own. SO, apparently in California a 'disturbing the peace' infraction is a 415 penal code violation, and penal code violations show up ??? I'm still really unclear about all the details, and I am going to call AMCAS later today (without giving my name) and see if I can get some conformation on this. So, if this is true ... How would I report it? I mean can I put 'No' on the AMCAS application but then in the box put, however, I was convicted of a disturbing the peace violation in California which is handled under the penal code and therefore appears on record??? Is it even possible to put no, but then write something in the box??? Helpy please? Is this going to totally Eff me over? I've heard rumors of some schools pre-screening off this question, does anyone know if this is true or what??

OKAYYYYY so a possible explanation for my anz gf's situation, and a little clarity on my own. SO, apparently in California a 'disturbing the peace' infraction is a 415 penal code violation, and penal code violations show up ??? I'm still really unclear about all the details, and I am going to call AMCAS later today (without giving my name) and see if I can get some conformation on this. So, if this is true ... How would I report it? I mean can I put 'No' on the AMCAS application but then in the box put, however, I was convicted of a disturbing the peace violation in California which is handled under the penal code and therefore appears on record??? Is it even possible to put no, but then write something in the box??? Helpy please? Is this going to totally Eff me over? I've heard rumors of some schools pre-screening off this question, does anyone know if this is true or what??

You have to stop letting anybody who gives a weird story freak you out. SDN is awful for stuff like this. This guy was charged with a misdemeanor. It sounds like he got court supervision, which goes down as a conviction until supervision is complete. (usually) It is possible that he pled guilty, got supervision, and then the guilty part showed up. YOU WERE NOT EVEN CHARGED WITH A MISDEMEANOR. It was an infraction.

Also, I think he is full of it. Can you imagine if a school did find something on someones record? You think they would have a secretary call, corner the kid into saying the same thing he already said, and make that his last chance? Come on! On NU's secondary, it says you will have the chance to speak for any positive findings in a CBC. Says so right on the secondary. Sometimes records are incorrect--just like with a credit check. A school would not can you with ZERO explanation on your for something like this. They would ask you to explain it.

Also, AECOM interviewed 1,368 people last year and 180 matriculated. A background check costs money. You think they would pay 10x for this so they can have a secretary have an awkward conversation with someone? Please! Call AECOM and make sure if you want.... But seriously, if you have to answer for something on a CBC, it will either be after an acceptance, or during your first week there. (I know some schools do fingerprint CBCs during orientation week.)

As for Pitt, I know a kid who went there with a DUI conviction. The kid never got screened out for it. It was before AMCAS started asking, but don't you think they would have said something to him if they cared?

You have to stop letting anybody who gives a weird story freak you out. SDN is awful for stuff like this. This guy was charged with a misdemeanor. It sounds like he got court supervision, which goes down as a conviction until supervision is complete. (usually) It is possible that he pled guilty, got supervision, and then the guilty part showed up. YOU WERE NOT EVEN CHARGED WITH A MISDEMEANOR. It was an infraction.

Also, I think he is full of it. Can you imagine if a school did find something on someones record? You think they would have a secretary call, corner the kid into saying the same thing he already said, and make that his last chance? Come on! On NU's secondary, it says you will have the chance to speak for any positive findings in a CBC. Says so right on the secondary. Sometimes records are incorrect--just like with a credit check. A school would not can you with ZERO explanation on your for something like this. They would ask you to explain it.

Also, AECOM interviewed 1,368 people last year and 180 matriculated. A background check costs money. You think they would pay 10x for this so they can have a secretary have an awkward conversation with someone? Please! Call AECOM and make sure if you want.... But seriously, if you have to answer for something on a CBC, it will either be after an acceptance, or during your first week there. (I know some schools do fingerprint CBCs during orientation week.)

As for Pitt, I know a kid who went there with a DUI conviction. The kid never got screened out for it. It was before AMCAS started asking, but don't you think they would have said something to him if they cared?

Yeah, I'm trying not to freak out but I was convicted for a 'disturbing the peace' under California Penal Code 415, which I was told was considered a misdemeanor. I'm going to call the court and a CA lawyer as soon as I get the chance. So, I won't do anything rash until then. However, I was charged with a misdemeanor, an MIP is a misdemeanor, and I had to complete an alcohol class and then get it reduced ... so I would say I at least have the right to be worried/contact a lawyer to get it all figured out.

Yeah, I'm trying not to freak out but I was convicted for a 'disturbing the peace' under California Penal Code 415, which I was told was considered a misdemeanor. I'm going to call the court and a CA lawyer as soon as I get the chance. So, I won't do anything rash until then. However, I was charged with a misdemeanor, an MIP is a misdemeanor, and I had to complete an alcohol class and then get it reduced ... so I would say I at least have the right to be worried/contact a lawyer to get it all figured out.

Oh you were convicted? I thought you said it was an infraction and you were not convicted etc....

Don't just call a lawyer, also call the courthouse and police station in the county this happened in and ask them what EXACTLY is on your records.

Oh you were convicted? I thought you said it was an infraction and you were not convicted etc....

Don't just call a lawyer, also call the courthouse and police station in the county this happened in and ask them what EXACTLY is on your records.

Yeah, it was either a. Take an MIP and loose your license for a year, or b. Plead no contest to an 'infraction' ( Everyone I talked to said it was the same as a parking ticket .... but its under penal code 415 so I don't know yet). I know what is on my records, I just need to know for certain that it is considered a misdemeanor so I need to report it unfortunately.