Legal Residence on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous873

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how I should go about claiming legal residence. I grew up in Michigan and did my undergrad there and then moved to Pennsylvania and lived there for 2 years (currently living there). I filed taxes in PA, so can I claim it to be my legal residence to give me a boost for PA schools?

However, I do not want to lose my advantage on Michigan schools..would they look at where I spent my childhood and consider that as being in-state?

Let me know if this doesn't make sense

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how I should go about claiming legal residence. I grew up in Michigan and did my undergrad there and then moved to Pennsylvania and lived there for 2 years (currently living there). I filed taxes in PA, so can I claim it to be my legal residence to give me a boost for PA schools?

However, I do not want to lose my advantage on Michigan schools..would they look at where I spent my childhood and consider that as being in-state?

Let me know if this doesn't make sense

You can claim residency for only one state. You have paid taxes in Pennsylvania and lived there for probably enough time to claim residency. Depending on Michigan rules you may still be able to claim residency for Michigan. Regardless, you have to decide which state you want the advantage in. You also need to research Michigan legal residency rules (for tuition purposes) to determine if you can even qualify as such.