Legal Residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybugxo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This may have already been answered on the forums here but I wanted to confirm with my situation.

I lived in California with my family for 8 years prior to undergrad. My parents moved to Texas this past December 2015. My drivers license and last tax form are both California. When I am filling out my AMCAS app, should I put CA or TX as my legal residence?

I am also taking a gap year in St. Louis, so I am wondering if it would be worth it to apply for residency here and then update my app. Any thoughts?

On the other hand, if you can legally qualify as a Texas resident, you will gain more benefits from applying to Texas schools as a resident than you will lose in applying to CA schools as a non-resident. Texas medical schools are among the least expensive in the nation and range in competitiveness from "low" to "very high". So if you're competitiveness is anywhere in the 'low to upper-medium' range, it's great to be a Texan.

Texas has very particular residency requirements, and it takes a year to establish residency. Take the time to find out and see if it's feasible for you, but if it is, DO look into it and consider it carefully.

very, very particular
What about FL vs CA residency? My dad moved to FL recently so I have the option of designating as FL instead of CA. If my stats are average would I be better off applying as an FL resident?