• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Legal residency for AMCAS and TMSDAS

KirTen

May 17, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey folks,

So I'm applying to med school soon, and I'm using the AMCAS and the TMSDAS.

Basically, I live in Georgia with my brother (gone to Georgia Tech, graduated high school in GA) but my parents moved to Texas about 1.5 years ago and "established domicile" or whatever. I'm legally a dependent at the moment off them, and will be at time of application.

But I've been in Georgia my entire life, driver's license, high school graduate, etc. etc. My parents own the house I live in right now in Georgia and the one in Texas (but file taxes in Texas).

Which state am I a resident of? Can I claim Texas in my TMSDAS and Georgia in my AMCAS or is that a kind of fraud or something? Don't want to do anything against the rules. Do I have any right to claim residency in Georgia alone (like, forget Texas altogether)?

Thanks!

GeorgiadisMD

5+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Nov 26, 2011
    1. Pre-Medical
      I would look into that. I'm sure there's a clear cut answer. I know you can't claim both though. I am leaving more toward you not being able to claim Texas as your state of residency. How are you even dependent if you are not living with your parents? Is it because they are supporting you?

Sent from my VM670 using SDN Mobile

KirTen

May 17, 2012
      1. Pre-Medical
        Thanks, they support me because I get more than half my income from them or whatever the criteria (more like, all my income). I don't have a job yet, and they'll continue to support me until I find one (hopefully later, in August-ish).

When I get my job and file for taxes next round, I'll be an independent, but by then it'll be too late.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.