Legal residency for AMCAS and TMSDAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KirTen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I'm applying to med school soon, and I'm using the AMCAS and the TMSDAS.

Basically, I live in Georgia with my brother (gone to Georgia Tech, graduated high school in GA) but my parents moved to Texas about 1.5 years ago and "established domicile" or whatever. I'm legally a dependent at the moment off them, and will be at time of application.

But I've been in Georgia my entire life, driver's license, high school graduate, etc. etc. My parents own the house I live in right now in Georgia and the one in Texas (but file taxes in Texas).

Which state am I a resident of? Can I claim Texas in my TMSDAS and Georgia in my AMCAS or is that a kind of fraud or something? Don't want to do anything against the rules. Do I have any right to claim residency in Georgia alone (like, forget Texas altogether)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into that. I'm sure there's a clear cut answer. I know you can't claim both though. I am leaving more toward you not being able to claim Texas as your state of residency. How are you even dependent if you are not living with your parents? Is it because they are supporting you?

Sent from my VM670 using SDN Mobile

Thanks, they support me because I get more than half my income from them or whatever the criteria (more like, all my income). I don't have a job yet, and they'll continue to support me until I find one (hopefully later, in August-ish).

When I get my job and file for taxes next round, I'll be an independent, but by then it'll be too late.