"Legal Resident" status on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjh0609

島達 也
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I have just started out filling my AMCAS application for this cycle, and I came across a problem in the "legal resident" section.

I got my permanent residency status in April. Even though I graduated from a high school in Massachusetts (all four years) and have spent three years going to college in Texas, I do not qualify for state residency in both states because I was considered an international until now.

Should the question of "Are you a legal resident of the United States?" be answered yes or no? I am a legal resident because I have the permanent resident status, yet I do not have a state residency.

Thanks in advance!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN,
Should the question of "Are you a legal resident of the United States?" be answered yes or no? I am a legal resident because I have the permanent resident status, yet I do not have a state residency.

Thanks in advance!:)

Yes

Members don't see this ad :)

I forgot to add, but if I answer "Yes" it asks for the state which I am a resident of.

Should I just put down Texas? I am not applying to any Texas schools through AMCAS.

If you have a green card, you are a legal resident. I am on a student visa so I am a legal non-resident.

A state school might have its own requirements for qualifying for in-state tuition but you are definitely a legal resident of the US. It's important when applying for federal loans and financial aid so make sure you indicate yourself as such because green card holders are considered the same as US citizens for admissions and financial aid.