Legal thing to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

What do u guys generally do when Dr forgot to write quantity of the drug in textual formats??? for control and narcs??
Do you guys call dr and then write on it or send patient back to dr office?? anything you do differently for regular control Vs narcs??
Recently BOP visited pharmacy near my store for regular inspection and they gave them warning about not having qty written in textual format on control Rxs

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

What do u guys generally do when Dr forgot to write quantity of the drug in textual formats??? for control and narcs??
Do you guys call dr and then write on it or send patient back to dr office?? anything you do differently for regular control Vs narcs??
Recently BOP visited pharmacy near my store for regular inspection and they gave them warning about not having qty written in textual format on control Rxs

Thanks

What's wrong with call MD and verifying quantity and documenting?

hey guys,

Thanks
I follow the law of the state where I am working that day. If you tell us the state you work in, you might get a useful answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
In some states if the doctor writes #40 he also has write out "forty"? srly?

In some states if the doctor writes #40 he also has write out "forty"? srly?

That's how it is in Texas. A prescription for "Xanax 0.5 mg #30 i QD" isn't valid unless it is written as "Xanax 0.5 mg #30 (thirty) i QD". And to the OP, just call and get it as a verbal order.

If it's a C2 you can't change or add anything to drug, strength or quantity. So if it doesn't have it on it technically it isn't a valid Rx in my eyes. Call your local board and ask them or consult your states laws for any more specific info on this.

If it's a C2 you can't change or add anything to drug, strength or quantity. So if it doesn't have it on it technically it isn't a valid Rx in my eyes. Call your local board and ask them or consult your states laws for any more specific info on this.

Federal law allows some changes on a C-II and strength is one of them. If the Dr. writes Percocet you can call and get the strength. Your state law may be different.

in IL, you can call and verify the qty for CIII & up (its legally required to have the qty written out in text, but this can be verified over the phone)