Legal to ask program coordinator after interview if you will be ranked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phospholipid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is just asking if you will be ranked, not where on the rank list. Is that legal? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The question is just asking if you will be ranked, not where on the rank list. Is that legal? thanks

Everything about the rank list is confidential. It isn't the coordinator's place to tell an applicant whether/how an individual is scored or ranked. That said, nothing is set in stone until the final rank order meeting so feedback about ranking from a coordinator at this point would be pretty worthless. Just assume you are going to be ranked by every program you visit, and you rank them according to where you would like to do your residency.

Why does the answer to this question even matter if you're not going to know where on the list they rank you? If they rank you dead last, you're likely not going to match there anyways.

I mean you can ask it, but it likely won't be answered.

Reactions: 1 user

You can ask, but as someone stated earlier, neither PCs nor PDs can answer your question without getting into big trouble, as in the NRMP will kick the program out. Also, we can't ask you if you will be ranking us.

You can ask, but as someone stated earlier, neither PCs nor PDs can answer your question without getting into big trouble, as in the NRMP will kick the program out. Also, we can't ask you if you will be ranking us.
To beg to differ, it's the opposite of what you said. Neither party is allowed to ask anything. The PD (or applicant) can spontaneously volunteer any information (including "we ranked you" or "we ranked you to match" or anything they want) without violating the match but they can't ask the other party if they reciprocated.

Reactions: 2 users
Since this is a silly thread, I'm not going to feel bad about asking a tangential question/musing.

I wonder how often people get DNR'd (do not rank) at a program along the interview trail, but then still go on to match highly on their own rank list. Surely some people must accumulate DNRs because of ingrained personality issues, while others just get one because of an isolated "bad interview day".

Since this is a silly thread, I'm not going to feel bad about asking a tangential question/musing.

I wonder how often people get DNR'd (do not rank) at a program along the interview trail, but then still go on to match highly on their own rank list. Surely some people must accumulate DNRs because of ingrained personality issues, while others just get one because of an isolated "bad interview day".

This definitely happens. I often check to see where our DNR candidates match, and I am always surprised that they match at really great places. I assume that they simply had a bad day with us (or perhaps had a really good day elsewhere).

This definitely happens. I often check to see where our DNR candidates match, and I am always surprised that they match at really great places. I assume that they simply had a bad day with us (or perhaps had a really good day elsewhere).

In my experience the DNR people usually just rub a few people the wrong way in a big way. It's more an issue of mixing vinegar and baking soda -- if your program doesn't have baking soda you are going to be fine with the vinegar. Doesn't mean they had a good or bad day, it means they were just a bad fit with the personnel in place.

To beg to differ, it's the opposite of what you said. Neither party is allowed to ask anything. The PD (or applicant) can spontaneously volunteer any information (including "we ranked you" or "we ranked you to match" or anything they want) without violating the match but they can't ask the other party if they reciprocated.

I was talking to my GME office about this and they are convinced we're not allowed to tell applicants anything. I searched the NRMP policies to show them this okay and couldn't find it. Do you remember where this is noted? I am not trying to bait you, this is a sincere question.

I was talking to my GME office about this and they are convinced we're not allowed to tell applicants anything. I searched the NRMP policies to show them this okay and couldn't find it. Do you remember where this is noted? I am not trying to bait you, this is a sincere question.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2015-MPA-Applicants-and-Programs.pdf

6.0 Restrictions on Persuasion
One of the purposes of the Main Residency Match is to allow both applicants and
programs to make selection decisions on a uniform schedule and without coercion or
undue or unwarranted pressure. Both applicants and programs may express their
interest in each other; however, they shall not solicit verbal or written statements
implying a commitment.
Applicants shall at all times be free to keep confidential the
names or identities of programs to which they have or may apply. The NRMP
recommends that each program director and applicant read carefully the Match
Communication Code of Conduct for information on acceptable methods of interaction
during the interview and matching processes.
In addition, it is a breach of this Agreement for:
(a) a program to request applicants to reveal ranking preferences; or
(b) an applicant to suggest or inform a program that placement on a rank
order list or acceptance of an offer during SOAP is contingent upon
submission of a verbal or written statement indicating the program’s
preference; or
(c) a program to suggest or inform an applicant that placement on a rank
order list or a SOAP preference list is contingent upon submission of a
verbal or written statement indicating the applicant’s preference; or
(d) a program to require applicants to reveal the names or identities of
programs to which they have or may apply; or
(e) a program and an applicant in the Main Residency Match to make
any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year
residency or fellowship position prior to the release of the List of Unfilled
Programs.
Only the final preferences of programs and applicants, as expressed on their final
certified rank order lists or by offers extended and accepted through SOAP, will
determine the offering of positions and the placement of applicants through the
Main Residency Match