"Legal" to defer admission and apply to another school?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

candiedapple01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
Hi all,

I've been accepted to COMP and have sent in my first deposit. My husband has been offered a faculty in Reno that he is VERY keen on accepting and I would be moving with him, of course. My question is, is it legal according to medical school rules for me to defer admission to COMP until Fall 2005 while I apply this summer to the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine? Does it state anywhere that I cannot hold an acceptance at a med school while I apply to another one?

I want to hold my place just in case I don't get into UNR. I don't want to reapply this fall to COMP because my MCAT scores will be too old (UNR will take my 2001 MCAT scores for the upcoming application cycle).

Thanks for any input!

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
you are talking AMCAS vs. AACOMAS, so you are not breaking anyone's rules.

When does his position start? Could you go to COMP in 2004-2005, then transfer to UNV in 2005-06 as an MSI-II with advanced placement for some courses? You could also apply early decision to UNV and maybe know by October.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
The problem here is you are dealing with two different organizations, namely AACOM and AMA. Firstly, you should call Western to see if they even allow deferrals because some schools do not.

Secondly, if they do allow deferrals, make sure they allow you to apply to other schools during the year of your deferral. Most schools do not allow you to apply to other places which I think is the way it should be. If you're going to defer a school's acceptance, the least you can do is go there the following year since they were reserving a spot for you. Anything less would be uncivilized.

I understand your situation, but I think it's just ethically wrong to do that. However, you should call Western to find out exactly what their policy is. I looked on their website and they mention nothing about deferring so I have a feeling they don't allow you to.

About the Ads

candiedapple01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
I have spoken with the director of admissions and I can defer until Fall 2005. I wouldn't think holding a position would be a problem for COMP because I will have given them a final decision this fall before they even fill their class. I guess I'll ask the admissions department in Reno about applying while holding a spot before I ask the one at COMP.

I don't think I can transfer from a D.O. school to an M.D. one, but I've never investigated the option. Doing so would keep me out of Reno and away from my husband anyways (Reno's third year students do rotations in Las Vegas). To be quite honest, given the choice between an M.D. and a D.O. I'd rather pursue the latter (given my interests in holistic medicine and desire to further study eastern medicine, and I honestly feel the demand is rising for the approach to healing that D.O.s offer), but above all I don't want us to spend more time apart than necessary (some, I know, is inevitable).

Thanks to you both for your quick replies!

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by candiedapple01
I have spoken with the director of admissions and I can defer until Fall 2005. I wouldn't think holding a position would be a problem for COMP because I will have given them a final decision this fall before they even fill their class. I guess I'll ask the admissions department in Reno about applying while holding a spot before I ask the one at COMP.

I don't think I can transfer from a D.O. school to an M.D. one, but I've never investigated the option. Doing so would keep me out of Reno and away from my husband anyways (Reno's third year students do rotations in Las Vegas). To be quite honest, given the choice between an M.D. and a D.O. I'd rather pursue the latter (given my interests in holistic medicine and desire to further study eastern medicine, and I honestly feel the demand is rising for the approach to healing that D.O.s offer), but above all I don't want us to spend more time apart than necessary (some, I know, is inevitable).

Thanks to you both for your quick replies!

actually, since DOs learn more than MDs, you can transfer to an MD school from a DO school, but you cannot transfer to a DO from an MD. (assuming the request for advanced standing)

U4iA

εὐφορία
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
a state of well-being
Status (Visible)
Transferring from an osteopathic program to an allopathic program is very difficult in most cases if not impossible.

Have you considered Touro?s new campus in Las Vegas? Vegas is a little distant from Reno, but it's an option nonetheless.

U4iA

εὐφορία
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
a state of well-being
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by cooldreams
JESUS is GOD.
The Bible is the ONE AND ONLY inspired word of GOD.

Quite interesting.... Be careful not to broadcast your religious superiority complex to your future patients who may happen to be just a little more open-minded than you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by U4iA
Quite interesting.... Be careful not to broadcast your religious superiority complex to your future patients who may happen to be just a little more open-minded than you.

ive no superiority complex :p

if they are so open minded, they wont mind that i believe that Jesus is God right??

and finally, i am open minded, i mean i actually replied to you didnt I ?? hehe

ELDON30

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
yea i think he should re-phrase that ONE AND ONLY part also...

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Status (Visible)
He should re-phrase it. If that is what he believes, then so be it. Be forcing him to change his own beliefs, who is more closed-minded? He is not forcing his beliefs on you. His litte note of "ONE AND ONLY" is similar to him standing on the street corning yelling the phrase -- which is 100% legal.

eve

15+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2003
Kansas City, MO
Status (Visible)
Ya know, DO's learn everything MD's learn... AND THEN SOME!!! They all get paid the same, learn MORE, and appreciate patients more... how could you go wrong??? I'm going to be in UHS graduating class of 2008 and I couldn't be more proud!!! I got accepted to both allopathic and osteopathic...... and I WANT TO SPECIALIZE!!!!!! UHS has it, and I am happy to be a part of it! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

U4iA

εὐφορία
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
a state of well-being
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by eve
Ya know, DO's learn everything MD's learn... AND THEN SOME!!! They all get paid the same, learn MORE, and appreciate patients more... how could you go wrong??? I'm going to be in UHS graduating class of 2008 and I couldn't be more proud!!! I got accepted to both allopathic and osteopathic...... and I WANT TO SPECIALIZE!!!!!! UHS has it, and I am happy to be a part of it! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

it is quite random that you posted that in this thread..

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.