Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Legal Use of Loan Money

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DoctaJay, Mar 7, 2007.

1. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was reading the stipulations of the master promissory note for my stafford loan and they said that you can only use your stafford loans for educational expenses like:

• Tuition
    • Room
    • Board
    • Institutional fees
    • Books
    • Supplies
    • Equipment
    • Dependent Child Care
    • Transportation
    • Commuting Expenses
    • Rental or Purchase of personal computer
    • Origination free or guarantee fee
    • Other document/authorized costs

Are there any situations in medical school where you need to spend your loan money on things are aren't approved? If you are using a healthcare plan other than the one provided by your school, can you pay for that through loans? Is purchasing a used car authorized under transportation? Is there really any way to track how you spend the money; meaning do we have unrestrained freedom to spend our loan money as we please, as long as it is paid back?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion

Medical Student
    dude they say the same thing in undergrad but that didn't stop have my school from buying a Xbox 360 and whatever else they felt like. Pay your tuition/rent and then live. They cannot track how you spend the money.

peace

4. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    I think that necessary "stress relief" sessions can be legally covered by loan money too. I get a medical student discount as long as I don't ask what anybody's real name is.

5. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!

Attending Physician
    if it's a student account refund check made out to you and ends up in your bank account for your living expenses, you can spend it on whatever your little heart desires... if you want to drive a hummer and can do it on the budget they set up, more power to you! that is to say, I've NEVER heard of the "stafford loan police" coming and auditting what someone spent their money on...

6. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Even if you have the full amount of school paid for, you can still take out the full amount the feds will give you. Thus, you can invest it in the stock market for all they care. You're going to have to pay it back eventually, with interest, so whatever you want to do with it is your business.

We've bought 2 cars now.

7. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted

Resident [Any Field]
    Gotta agree with the above... :thumbup:

Putting some of the loan money towards a used car is definitely grounds for "transportation" use and a totally valid form of using part of your educational loan.

8. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader

Medical Student
    Transportation also counts for the taxi cab from the city after spending way too much money at way too expensive of a bar... good times.

9. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Also, I use money for research into my own liver enzymes. As in, how high will they bump after Cuervo night?

10. LJDHC05

LJDHC05 Former Chicken Slayer

Medical Student
    I've paid for beer with mine.

And smokes.

And hookers.

11. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    lol, ok, I get it; the money is mine and I can do whatever I want with it. Thanks everyone!!!