VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi guys, so some classmates and I are interested in setting up a student-run clinic in our area. I've been doing some research and have been unable to find the answers to some of these legal questions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

1. What kind of procedures can medical students(pre-clinical) legally perform?
2. What kind of supervision is required for us to perform these procedures?
3. Are any certifications required for some of the more basic procedures?

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys, so some classmates and I are interested in setting up a student-run clinic in our area. I've been doing some research and have been unable to find the answers to some of these legal questions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

1. What kind of procedures can medical students(pre-clinical) legally perform?
2. What kind of supervision is required for us to perform these procedures?
3. Are any certifications required for some of the more basic procedures?
1) Talk to a lawyer
2) Talk to a lawyer
3) no

NAGNAM

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
aren't you an m1? at my school they didn't let us do this that would lead to certain patient harm until at least m3

OveractiveBrain

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 15, 2009
Dirty Dirt
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are a number of student-run clinics throughout the country. They all require a staff faculty to run. Usually they are an attempt to get first and second year students early clinical exposure, relying on upper level students to act as preceptors (sort-of residents) and link the 1st and 2nd years to the attending.

I've sent a PM to the OP about contacting the one near me, to get you connected with the process.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are a number of student-run clinics throughout the country. They all require a staff faculty to run. Usually they are an attempt to get first and second year students early clinical exposure, relying on upper level students to act as preceptors (sort-of residents) and link the 1st and 2nd years to the attending.

I've sent a PM to the OP about contacting the one near me, to get you connected with the process.
this is exactly how it works.

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There is absolutely zero difference legally between a pre-clinical and clinical medical student. While academically it may seem like night and day, in the end, both absolutely must have supervision for any procedure. The court of public opinion would obviously draw a bright line between a lumbar puncture and open heart surgery, but a good lawyer would run rings around it (in both directions). There are a large number of procedures in this country that are done by non-physicians every day, even though at other hospitals there may be specific regulations requiring physicians to perform them. Arterial lines, sutures, intubations, IV's, splints, IO's, chest tubes, I&D's and pericardiocentesis are just a few.

As for setting up a student run clinic, there are a variety of different models out there. Some rely primarily on pre-clinical students for staffing. Others are the domains of M3's looking for extra opportunities and at still more, M4's are practicing for residency. There's no right or wrong method, and being a part of a clinic can be one of the most rewarding aspects of medical school.

Check out this website for some helpful information: http://www.studentrunfreeclinics.org/

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is absolutely zero difference legally between a pre-clinical and clinical medical student. While academically it may seem like night and day, in the end, both absolutely must have supervision for any procedure. The court of public opinion would obviously draw a bright line between a lumbar puncture and open heart surgery, but a good lawyer would run rings around it. There are a large number of procedures in this country that are done by non-physicians every day, even though at other hospitals there may be specific regulations requiring physicians to perform them. Arterial lines, sutures, intubations, IV's, splints, IO's, chest tubes, and pericardiocentesis are just a few.

As for setting up a student run clinic, there are a variety of different models out there. Some rely primarily on pre-clinical students for staffing. Others are the domains of M3's looking for extra opportunities and at still more, M4's are practicing for residency. There's no right or wrong method, and being a part of a clinic can be one of the most rewarding aspects of medical school.

Check out this website for some helpful information: http://www.studentrunfreeclinics.org/
Good thing most people in need of chest tubes, art lines, intubation, and pericardiocentesis are probably going to bypass the clinic-level of care and ride with EMS to a better equipped facility. :laugh:

DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The laws and regulations in your area and at your school will influence a lot of it. If you're trying to start one, you have two primary objectives right now:

1) Find one or more faculty physicians willing to consistently commit time to the clinic

2) Find a source of funding

coralfangs

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
It also depends on the level of works that the students do (many health maintenance ****) and how well they know the limits of the free clinics. At our free clinics, we give a lot of instructions/protocols to the students to make sure that we don't **** anything up.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There are zero limits to what a student can do in clinic or hospital provided that a fully licensed attending physician is supervising. For little stuff (blood draws, ekg's, Foley's) the attending will just have to be in the building. For more complex s/dangerous stuff (LP's, A lines, central lines), the attending will likely take a more active role, depending on his comfort level. You will need an attending in charge at all times in a student run clinic. Anything you do is an extension of his license/priveleges, and it's his ass on the line if you screw up.

WellWornLad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For more complex s/dangerous stuff (LP's, A lines, central lines), the attending will likely take a more active role, depending on his comfort level.
Oh, laugh out loud. Are we talking about a student-run outpatient clinic or a student-run level 3 trauma center?

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Oh, laugh out loud. Are we talking about a student-run outpatient clinic or a student-run level 3 trauma center?
In my post I referenced supervision in the hospital or clinic which is essentially the same thing as far as the legalities go. Obviously you won't be doing a lines in the clinic. Nonetheless, attending supervision in some form is necessary for all clinical activities. There are more invasive clinic procedures of course: i/d of abscesses, pap smears, biopsies, etc.