Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Legends

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Aynsl156, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Aynsl156

Medical Student
    I love scary movies, and getting freaked out. So, here is an invite for the other pre-allos to post scary stories about people with incredible stats not getting into medical school. I know they're out there. So give me your best stories, the scarier the better.

Yes, I know it's not productive, but inquiring minds want to know.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    If someone has incredible stats and doesn't get into medical school, it's generally for one of 4 reasons:

1) They're ECs were all crammed in at the end

2) They're too young

3) They didn't have enough shadowing

4) They didn't have any publications

:laugh: I'm just kidding...you'll do great this cycle if you can convince adcomms that your ready for med school

4. ggman

Your mdapps page identifies you immediately as suggested by one of the comments. If you want it to be at least somewhat anonymous, I would at least get rid of the undergrad institution. On another note, you seem to be a pretty strong applicant as long as you demonstrate enough maturity and have thorougly though about why you want to go to medicine.

5. Aynsl156

Medical Student
    AnEyeLikeMars, I heart you so much.

<3

6. hlchess

Medical Student
    I know someone with a 37 MCAT who didn't get accepted because he only applied to top tier schools and MD/PhD programs.

But the next year he reapplied to less competitive schools and got accepted.

7. ggman

this mdapp should freak you out:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2081

As i understand it (and there was A LOT of discussion about this) the person was waitlisted everywhere and finally the vandy pre-med office was basically like "wtf, mate?!?" at the med school, so finally she got off the waitlist at vandy.

8. Dr Durden

Medical Student
    42/4.0 student with no clinical volunteering and questionable people skills who got denied everywhere and into her alma mater's med school only after she graduated as the equivalent of said college's valedictorian and the ugrad dean raised hell.

Edit: I see ggman beat me to it.

9. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    I suspect that overconfidence in the application process is by far the reason why someone with outstanding stats would be rejected.