Lehigh Valley and St. Lukes Osteopathic EM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shodddy18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about these programs. Specifically about the linked internship/EM residency?

Members don't see this ad.

What would you like to know.. I know they are both EM programs located in Bethlehem, Pa. Being Osteopathic programs, they are PGY 2-4 with a required (and in these cases, linked) internship. St. Luke's Hospital is a level II trauma center (I think) with 500+ beds, Lehigh Valley Muhlenberg hospital (the main site for the EM training) is a 180 bed hospital and level III or IV trauma center. LVM, however, frequently ships it's EM residents to their Cedar Crest campus (about 10-15 minutes away in Allentown, Pa), which is a level I or II center with significantly higher volume. LVM residents also go to their 17th and Chew campus as well. Don't know too much about this location other than there isn't an actual hospital backing it up - only clinics and such. Any major stuff gets shipped to Cedar Crest.

The associate PD at LVM seemed pretty cool when I met him. Dr. Heller (of ED Ultrasound fame) is the PD at St. Luke's program, so you get a lot of US training at the program. They both look like they have good programs to me... The other residents at St. Luke's were excellent, and off service rotations didn't seem bad (at least from what the EM residents told me). St. Luke's sees a crazy mad amount of pathology for being in a smallish town... I'm sure LVM sees the same stuff, but I can't attest to it, since I didn't do a rotation there.

If you'd like more info, call them up or email them. They are more than happy to field questions.

One more thing: many people think the EM residency at St. Luke's is dually accredited. It isn't - they have both programs, but the programs run parallel to each other. LVM is an osteopathic-only program.

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken about any of this.

Thanks for the quick reply. Im only a second year right now, so I have plenty of time to figgure out the residency stuff. I go to UNECOM and we are in the process of figuring out our third year core sites. I was planning on staying in maine for my core rotations (all of third year) and doing most of my fourth year in PA, OH, and MI. However, this would mean my wife would have to leave her current job and get another one, and then either be away from me for almost all of fourth year or move again and still be away from me for half the year. I would rather stay up here, but going down there would let us be together most of fourth year as well... and since I want to do an internship/residency around there that would mean a whole lot less confusion for her.

Thanks for the clarification about those two programs. I got as much as I could off of their website but it was a little confusing. I was especially confused about the Lehigh Valley Hospital system. It seemed to me that they only have one EM program... the osteopathic one. Are there other EM residents at the Cedarcrest campus? If not, why would they have the program based out of the level III trauma center when they also have a level I center 15 mins away?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify some points, I interviewed at both programs.

St. Lukes will consider a DO for the allopathic match...(this is what I interviewed for), but u run the risk of not being able to moonlight in PA due to the silly AOA rule about internships, but NJ is not far away. Dr. Heller encourages moonlighting in the last years if u r in good standing. They do take 2 DO's for a DO internship which is linked to the ED program.

The LeHigh program has its internship 100% at Mulhenburg which is not a trama center (from the top story of the building u can see St. Luke's) and the residency splits it's time about 50/50 between the ED at Mulhunburg...good community experience and Cedar Crest Level 1 trauma training. Only 1 mo is done at the Chew facility which is designed to give an "inner city" experience.

Both seemed like good programs....the St.Luke's is more established but the LeHigh is extrememly well funded....it'll be a tough pick either way for anyone considering these programs.

So does Lehigh have a linked AOA internship and EM residency?

So what is the deal with St. Lukes. They have both AOA and ACGME EM residencies. Do they operate out of the same facility or different facilities?
Is the Linked internship/EM residency at st lukes just for those two spots in the Allo program or do they have these for the osteopathic residency as well?

swaamedic said:
Just to clarify some points, I interviewed at both programs.

St. Lukes will consider a DO for the allopathic match...(this is what I interviewed for), but u run the risk of not being able to moonlight in PA due to the silly AOA rule about internships, but NJ is not far away. Dr. Heller encourages moonlighting in the last years if u r in good standing. They do take 2 DO's for a DO internship which is linked to the ED program.

The LeHigh program has its internship 100% at Mulhenburg which is not a trama center (from the top story of the building u can see St. Luke's) and the residency splits it's time about 50/50 between the ED at Mulhunburg...good community experience and Cedar Crest Level 1 trauma training. Only 1 mo is done at the Chew facility which is designed to give an "inner city" experience.

Both seemed like good programs....the St.Luke's is more established but the LeHigh is extrememly well funded....it'll be a tough pick either way for anyone considering these programs.

Yes, LeHigh and St. Lukes have a linked AOA internship (St. Lukes takes 2 and Lehigh takes 10 or 12 DO's) which directly placed u into their EM residency after internship essentially making the programs 1-4yr in length.

St. Lukes is dual accredited....the DO's do their internship at a smaller hospital ~140 beds then go to St. Lukes w/ the MD's for their (the DO's) 2-4 years which are 1-3 yrs for MD's. U R basically 1 year in education ahead of your MD counterpart but have to do the same 1-3 yrs. of EM education.

The 2 spots at St.Lukes are "reserved" for the 2 DO's doing the linked AOA accredited EM internship.

Shodddy18 said:
So does Lehigh have a linked AOA internship and EM residency?

So what is the deal with St. Lukes. They have both AOA and ACGME EM residencies. Do they operate out of the same facility or different facilities?
Is the Linked internship/EM residency at st lukes just for those two spots in the Allo program or do they have these for the osteopathic residency as well?

swaamedic said:
Yes, LeHigh and St. Lukes have a linked AOA internship (St. Lukes takes 2 and Lehigh takes 10 or 12 DO's) which directly placed u into their EM residency after internship essentially making the programs 1-4yr in length.

St. Lukes is dual accredited....the DO's do their internship at a smaller hospital ~140 beds then go to St. Lukes w/ the MD's for their (the DO's) 2-4 years which are 1-3 yrs for MD's. U R basically 1 year in education ahead of your MD counterpart but have to do the same 1-3 yrs. of EM education.

The 2 spots at St.Lukes are "reserved" for the 2 DO's doing the linked AOA accredited EM internship.

Thanks man! That is a lot more clear.

I'm an intern here at LVH. Internship is based out of Muhlenberg hospital. The ER is basically a community ER. Residency is based out of our three hospital sites in Lehigh valley. During years 2-4 time is split between these three sites. Cedar crest is the biggest hospital, is a level 1 trauma center, and is the busiest trauma center in the state of PA. It receives the most blunt trauma in the state. ER residents from Einstein in Philadelphia do trauma at our trauma center. THe EM program is terrific. One of the hidden gems in the country. Extremely competitive for a DO program and comparible if not better than 50% of all Allopathic programs. This is in part due to funding, excellent facilities, and very good faculty.

For example, we draw faculty from Harvard, John Hopkins, Virginia, etc both MD and DOs. Faculty is extremely dedicated to teaching. Research is a big component of the residency. Lehigh valley hospital is ranked by US news in a number of areas. Nursing is top notch winning national prestige awards such as the National Magnet award. In addition this past year, LVH was ranked #1 in technology/computer systems/Wi-fi in PA. We are no doubt top 10 in the U.S. All interns/physicians carry mini laptops that have access to records, pt. census, internet, etc. in addition orders can be put in anywhere in the hospital. The hospital is extremely pt oriented and focused. There was a $75 million surplus this past fiscal year of 2005. Benefits are one of the best of all programs in the nation. $43,000 1st year and goes to $50000 4th year. Benefits are comprehensive. Parking, coats, and meals. Grand rounds at our facilities have national speakers including past ACEP presidents, Levitan, Secchetti, etc. St. Lukes residents usually joins us for these lectures as our guests.

The EM program has placed people in fellowships at John Hopkins (disaster med), Good Sam (Phoenix AZ toxicology) x 2, OHSU (toxicology). One of the graduating residents just got a job making $400,000 per year contract. The program has no problems placing its residents. You can literally go anywhere you want to for the most part.

This is a seriously top notch quality residency. You will be pleasantly surprised. Check it out.

Aloha Kid said:
I'm an intern here at LVH. Internship is based out of Muhlenberg hospital. The ER is basically a community ER. Residency is based out of our three hospital sites in Lehigh valley. During years 2-4 time is split between these three sites. Cedar crest is the biggest hospital, is a level 1 trauma center, and is the busiest trauma center in the state of PA. It receives the most blunt trauma in the state. ER residents from Einstein in Philadelphia do trauma at our trauma center. THe EM program is terrific. One of the hidden gems in the country. Extremely competitive for a DO program and comparible if not better than 50% of all Allopathic programs. This is in part due to funding, excellent facilities, and very good faculty.

For example, we draw faculty from Harvard, John Hopkins, Virginia, etc both MD and DOs. Faculty is extremely dedicated to teaching. Research is a big component of the residency. Lehigh valley hospital is ranked by US news in a number of areas. Nursing is top notch winning national prestige awards such as the National Magnet award. In addition this past year, LVH was ranked #1 in technology/computer systems/Wi-fi in PA. We are no doubt top 10 in the U.S. All interns/physicians carry mini laptops that have access to records, pt. census, internet, etc. in addition orders can be put in anywhere in the hospital. The hospital is extremely pt oriented and focused. There was a $75 million surplus this past fiscal year of 2005. Benefits are one of the best of all programs in the nation. $43,000 1st year and goes to $50000 4th year. Benefits are comprehensive. Parking, coats, and meals. Grand rounds at our facilities have national speakers including past ACEP presidents, Levitan, Secchetti, etc. St. Lukes residents usually joins us for these lectures as our guests.

The EM program has placed people in fellowships at John Hopkins (disaster med), Good Sam (Phoenix AZ toxicology) x 2, OHSU (toxicology). One of the graduating residents just got a job making $400,000 per year contract. The program has no problems placing its residents. You can literally go anywhere you want to for the most part.

This is a seriously top notch quality residency. You will be pleasantly surprised. Check it out.

Thanks a lot... lots of great stuff. I did hear that it was a great hospital but I didnt know it was that competitive...

I am hoping to do an osteopathic residency and will def apply to do some electives there next year.

spread your electives out, don't do to many at 1 institution that way you can have an edge at multiple places you interview at....although a rotation is not required for an interview or to match it definatly helps especially in the DO world.

Shodddy18 said:
Thanks a lot... lots of great stuff. I did hear that it was a great hospital but I didnt know it was that competitive...

I am hoping to do an osteopathic residency and will def apply to do some electives there next year.

Shodddy18 said:
Does anyone know anything about these programs. Specifically about the linked internship/EM residency?

St Lukes Hospita EM program has 12 residents per year. Out of those 12, 4 are DO residents. Two are liked by internship and i think they do it in St. lukes allentown our smaller branch. Two other DOs are selected during the interview process. In addition to that I think Dr.Heller considers DO candidates for MD spots also. Now about the program: We are level I trauma center and very busy in that aspect. We get mostly blunt trauma, but on occasions we see some penetrating too. Our trauma is run by a trauma team which consists of a trauma surgent, and a resident on service. Usually its ED senior or a surgical resident. Surgery program is very small. In addition ED resident gets the airway on every trauma. No anesthesia residents here. We also respond to every code blue on the floors for intubation. We get traumas from all over PA by ground crew and by air ambulance. Now our EM department sees a good deal of pathology almost similar to inner city except maybe HIV/Homeless/Sickle. Our accuity is high. ICU is always busy and circulation is amazing. Off service rotations are all dicent. You learn a lot in ICU and do a lot of proceedures. Interaction between residents and attendings is very friendly. Grand rounds are alway fun. Since Dr.Heller is the PD here we get alot of US experience. I guess thats it for now if any specific questions arise then ask away.