Lehman College CUNY or Purchase, SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Askangiwa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just moved to North Bronx/Southern Westchester area and want to take pre-reqs for dental school, but unfortunately Hunter and City college is too far (I work in the N. Bronx also) - I'll never make it to the city on time for the classes.

I was thinking of Lehman college or either driving up to Purchase, SUNY - but from my research, neither college is really well-known for their sciences altough Purchase has a post-bac program.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Lehman seems to have a poor reputation and I'm worried that I'll "waste" 2 years working on my prereqs only for it to mean "nothing" to adcoms.

All thoughts/comments welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I just moved to North Bronx/Southern Westchester area and want to take pre-reqs for dental school, but unfortunately Hunter and City college is too far (I work in the N. Bronx also) - I'll never make it to the city on time for the classes.

I was thinking of Lehman college or either driving up to Purchase, SUNY - but from my research, neither college is really well-known for their sciences altough Purchase has a post-bac program.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Lehman seems to have a poor reputation and I'm worried that I'll "waste" 2 years working on my prereqs only for it to mean "nothing" to adcoms.

All thoughts/comments welcome!

Honestly, both these schools have similar reputations in new york, atleast to nyc students. Your best bet would be to go with Lehman (its probably closer) and just work hard. This is actually for every school, whether you go to Hunter or City...it will still mean "nothing" to the adcoms IMO.

You can always go for a semester, and transfer if you dont like it...but i mean Lehman is one of the senior CUNY's so they will offer all the courses. They have an honors college (unlike City-Tech or something) and im sure they have some type of "pre-med" advising. Its probably cheaper than Purchase as well.

Well I'm currently attending Lehman working on a Masters in science education and am about to take graduate chemistry courses...some of the students in my program have already taken graduate bio courses and say that they're pretty hard core :smuggrin:. I don't know anything about their undergraduate bio courses but there graduate courses are pretty severe. Price wise, Lehman is definitely a better choice. They're both universities so I don't think it'll make a huge different on your application. Which ever you choose, Good Luck :)

Manhattan college is right there as well and has a pre-health advisory and a pretty strong Chem/bio department.