Lemme get your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wackie

Inappropriate, always
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've volunteered at a hospital 4 hrs a week for 7 months now in an ED (trauma II level). Previously, I did a couple of months in the ICU.

A volunteer fire/EMS is interested in me since they're lacking EMT's in a big way. They aren't requiring me to become a firefighter so I'd just run medic calls.
With working full time and going to school full time, I can't do both so I need to choose. My hang up is, the ED is really the only time/chance I get to rub elbows with some doctors. Of course, the docs aren't overly friendly or anything. But, it is a chance to see what they do and it helps to keep me motivated.

Which would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Wackie said:
I've volunteered at a hospital 4 hrs a week for 7 months now in an ED (trauma II level). Previously, I did a couple of months in the ICU.

A volunteer fire/EMS is interested in me since they're lacking EMT's in a big way. They aren't requiring me to become a firefighter so I'd just run medic calls.
With working full time and going to school full time, I can't do both so I need to choose. My hang up is, the ED is really the only time/chance I get to rub elbows with some doctors. Of course, the docs aren't overly friendly or anything. But, it is a chance to see what they do and it helps to keep me motivated.

Which would you do?

I'd do the EMT. Sounds like you'd like to do it more too from the sound of it.

You look pretty good for being 97 years old... hit me up some time... the name is chyme!

Both sound good to me. I would try to do both. Can't you hold off on the EMT job until your volunteering work is done. Schools like variety anyway. I say this because you will see both sides to the story. You will get to see what goes on in the ER all day and how it works, and then you can see how it is to be the EMT.