Length of Cardiology Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoeblogrow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I am wondering if different cardiology residencies/fellowships still take the same length of time

I'm considering non-invasive cardiology, but am wondering about interventional and invasive as well.

And how long would it take if I wanted to do cardiothoracic surgery?

I'm asking about the total amount of time it would take after graduation from medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

To rephrase the question, after doing 3 yrs of residency, then 3 yrs of cardiology fellowship, how much longer does it take to subspecialize?

And does the length of time it takes to subspecialize depend on the field I want to subspecialize in?(noninvasive, interventional, invasive) How much would I get paid (in general) during this period?

For cardiothoracic surgery, its 4 years med school, 1 year internship, 4-5 years general surgery residency, 2 years cardiac fellowship, then 1-2 years from there if you want to subspecialize (such as peds, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok,

I am wondering if different cardiology residencies/fellowships still take the same length of time

I'm considering non-invasive cardiology, but am wondering about interventional and invasive as well.

And how long would it take if I wanted to do cardiothoracic surgery?

I'm asking about the total amount of time it would take after graduation from medical school.

I think if you are asking about total number of years from the get go, it's safe to say this is not the best path for you. Nearly anything where you do invasive procedures, particularly major surgeries, takes a long time. You have to have the attitude that you are going to do it however long it takes, because if you are counting the days/months/years it will seem like forever... and it pretty much is. The prior poster's suggestion that we are taking about a decade after med school seems likely. But a marathoner cannot focus on the finish line the way a sprinter can.

Most people who are gung ho to do that won't care that much about the time, because you are actually going to already be doing a lot of that kind of hands-on stuff in your later residency and fellowship, so you are already getting to do what you enjoy, just that the income hasn't caught up. In terms of pay, residency starts somewhere around $40k and goes up a couple of grand a year. Maybe a slightly bigger jump for fellowship. You likely will do nicely at the other end when you get out, but then again a lot can happen in healthcare salaries in a decade.

used to work for cardio practice...

they all did 3 years internal

2 years FACC fellowship

2 years interventional fellowship

used to work for cardio practice...

they all did 3 years internal

2 years FACC fellowship

2 years interventional fellowship

Acutally now, its 3 year internal, 3 year Cards w/ one dedicated entirely to research(schedules vary of course), then interventional is a year after that. Count 7 total for interventional cards.

As premeds... its waaay too early to be thinking about this kinda stuff.
But... if you must go to http://www.nrmp.org/ and while you waste your time finding out what residency you want..... you'll be left in the dust by all the pre-meds that actually focus on getting into med school.

For cardiothoracic surgery, its 4 years med school, 1 year internship, 4-5 years general surgery residency, 2 years cardiac fellowship, then 1-2 years from there if you want to subspecialize (such as peds, etc).

some gen surg residencies are 7 years because of research requirements.

The typical applicant will do 3 years of internal medicine. After that, most fellowships are 3 years for general cardiology. However, many of the top academic programs are requiring/preferring 2 years clinical, 2 years research. Those that are completely dedicated to staying in academic research can "short track" through medicine and do 2 years of medicine. However, if you "short track" then you are required to do 3 years of post-doctoral research after fellowship, although some of the time can be spent as junior faculty.

Interventional is 1 year and EP is 1 year. There are no formally established requirements for an imaging or heart failure/transplant sub-specialty yet, although formal requirements will likely be established for heart failure/transplant within the next several years. Imaging is still up in the air since there is still a lot of radiology vs. cardiology debate for cardiac CT and cardiac MR.

What are the primary roles of interventional cardiologists?