Length of German Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillax63

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am about to finish up my undergrad in Biochemistry with pre-med. I have been looking at med schools in Europe and I am a little confused on some issues. The three countries I am looking at in particular are Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. I understand that Austria and Germany are six year programs. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the way that Swiss Med school is setup.

This brings me to my main question. I understand that most med school students work in all of these countries start right after high school. However, since I'll already have a degree that takes care of basically all of the prereqs for the first two years of the program, could I go in starting in my third year reducing the program to four years?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I greatly appreciate any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

medicine in switzerland takes also 6 years.

i could imagine that you would get the credits for physics, chemistry and biochemistry but i see 2 issues:

1.TOTAL coverage of material. if just a tiny little bit of the medical schools content is not covered you won´t get credit and you´d have to take the entire course
2. "woven" or strict curricular. medical school is a fixed pathway and at some schools biochemistry for example is stretched over 4 years or so. that makes a cut in length impossible. also you may have physics, chemistry and histology in semester one but obviously you´d have to take histology, so no time spare either.....

Thanks. I guess I'd have to take a look at each individual school's curriculum to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
i´m sorry but that´s what it comes down to in the end :(

Meh. It is what it is. I appreciate your response :)

I'm just curious. As far as I know, secondary school in Germany takes a little bit longer than in other countries. What's the average age for "freshman" medical students in Germany?