Length of Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how long is an interview? I'm sure it varies among schools, but what's the average length? 5 minutes? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

They have to have enough time to get to know us, but there is a whole lot of us so how much time do interviewers spend with us?

Members don't see this ad.

So, how long is an interview? I'm sure it varies among schools, but what's the average length? 5 minutes? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

They have to have enough time to get to know us, but there is a whole lot of us so how much time do interviewers spend with us?

well yea theres a whole lot of us applying, but theres a hell of a lot less interviewing.

I'd say between half an hour and an hour, from what I've seen thus far. Some schools have two interviews each like a half hour or something. I'd say a total between half an hour and an hour is normal.

I'd say about 10 to 30 minutes per interview with 2 interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine ran a little over an hour (about 1:10, if I remember right), but that's because my interviewers and I were bull****ting for awhile after they'd run out of questions. I think it was scheduled for an hour.

Last edited:
Read SDN's interview feedback - for each school, people post information about interview length and number, travel tips, schedule for the day, and questions that they were asked. Super, super useful.

It really depends. At my first interview I was talking to my 2 interviewers for each about 1:10, although it was supposed to be 30 min interviews. At my second interview they were much tighter on time and it was only one 45 min interview.