Length of passages on the real deal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the science passages longer on the real deal than the practice AAMCs? I've noticed that the practice passages on the AAMCs are pretty short (especially compared to the long TBR passages!). How would you say the passages on the real MCAT compare to the practice AAMCs and TBR? Are they like TBR in terms of length and complexity, or the AAMCs? A mix of the two? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea good question. Also, are the passages important to answering the questions? In the AAMC exams, I rarely have to use the passage to answer the questions in the PS section.

Yea good question. Also, are the passages important to answering the questions? In the AAMC exams, I rarely have to use the passage to answer the questions in the PS section.

That's very true. Anyone with a strong background in the sciences can testify to this.;)

Yeah everything is definitely much longer, and for the sciences its almost entirely out of the passage sometimes. The Verbal section is the most obviously longer one, but what I noticed was that the passages are a bit more clear and less confusing, which kinda helped me out.

I remember for my BS section (3/28 Test), I don't remember using ANY outside knowledge, I was so surprised. There was also HARDLY any physiology (maybe a passage or two) or organic chemistry (a few discretes?). And for PS, I felt like it was another Verbal/BS section, whereas it usually requires the most outside knowledge.

And I also remember the discretes were paragraphs themselves, so timing was definitely a bit of an issue for me... However after looking at the 3/28 thread afterwards compared to some other test dates (April and June dates), it seemed like our test was a freak of nature, almost half the SDNers had voided it or were absolutely freaking out...