Length of Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere it is supposed to be 5300 characters... is this correct?

If so, does that count spaces or just letters?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, 5300 characters....I don't know about the spaces....it was about a page single spaced?

The 5300 characters includes spaces, a little bit more than one page single-spaced, 12 point font.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good call AS1.........also, if you decide to type it in WORD, and then copy-paste it to the AMCAS, some of the characters (like apostrophies) get converted to other characters (like question marks).....try and be aware of this fluke! :horns:

Originally posted by felipe5
Very good call AS1.........also, if you decide to type it in WORD, and then copy-paste it to the AMCAS, some of the characters (like apostrophies) get converted to other characters (like question marks).....try and be aware of this fluke! :horns:

I hate that! I had to send off an email with my resum? before, and the ? showed up as ?. So it looked like I was a ***** who either didn't know how to insert the ?, or didn't know how to spell resum? and decided to just spell it resum?.

Grr!

Doesn't notepad make it hard to read when you are typing it up? The line seems to go on forever...it never goes down to the next line.

Originally posted by hamhamfan
Doesn't notepad make it hard to read when you are typing it up? The line seems to go on forever...it never goes down to the next line.

you can fix this by selecting the "word wrap" option.

Originally posted by No Egrets
you can fix this by selecting the "word wrap" option.

Thanks!

Watch your max size and watch the spaces also. MS Word has word count with and without spaces. I was a bit off and had to adjust my essay last minute.