Length of personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclabruins47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on the ERAS document that the limit of a personal statement was 32,000 character limit --- or about 5 pages. I was under the impression that 4-5 pages was the norm.

Today we had a class meeting about the application process and I was told to "keep it within a page" and any longer than that it probably will not be read. Im applying to IM, and i dont know if that makes any difference, but just would like to know what length is the norm for residencies (or IM if it makes any difference). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

uclabruins47 said:
I read on the ERAS document that the limit of a personal statement was 32,000 character limit --- or about 5 pages. I was under the impression that 4-5 pages was the norm.

Today we had a class meeting about the application process and I was told to "keep it within a page" and any longer than that it probably will not be read. Im applying to IM, and i dont know if that makes any difference, but just would like to know what length is the norm for residencies (or IM if it makes any difference). Thanks!

Iserson says to keep it at one page. And since Ive heard from numerous people that his guide should be viewed as the Bible, I'm limiting mine to one page

But hey, since Im competing with you now, make yours 5 pages. :laugh:

My school told me it should be 1 page and Maximum 1 page and a half.

First Aid for the match says one page and one paragraph.