Length of State of Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SureValla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care how long you have been a resident of their state after 1 year?

As in is there an advantage to being a state resident for 5 years over 1 year? Or do they just care if you meet the 1 year?

Members don't see this ad.

States vary in their residency requirements. Med schools within a state vary in their residency requirements. The majority seem to follow the one-year rule, but for some you have to be there for a year for non-educational purposes. For some, you have to meet the requirement before you send in your application, rather than before you maticulate. Others have strange, difficult-to-satisfy rules. It's best to call individual med schools and ask, if the policy isn't stated on the website.

I'm not asking what constitutes residency I'm asking does it matter if being a resident for 5 years looks better then 1 for getting in

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not asking what constitutes residency I'm asking does it matter if being a resident for 5 years looks better then 1 for getting in

I'm not completely sure, but I highly doubt that it matters how long you've been a resident. Why would it?