Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Length of the REAL DEAL verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by DayDune, May 17, 2007.

1. DayDune

DayDune Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm practicing with ek verbal 101 and it's pretty difficult to get done with 7 passages in 60 mins (even though I've shortened the # of Q's that I'm answering to 40). The passages in ek 101 seem a bit longer than the AAMC CBT's, though.

To all those who have taken the real test this year, how similar in LENGTH were the verbal passages to the AAMC CBT practice tests?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sexyman

Medical Student
    AAMC was longer than anything ive seen.

4. muffinman853

Pre-Medical
    I was shocked when I took the MCAT in April how long each passage was in the verbal section. I had two full passages left with 15 minutes before the section was over and I started freaking out. After it was over I felt like I hadn't even prepared at all for the verbal section. BTW, I got a verbal score of 8....ugh.

5. kocb

Pre-Medical
    I was also shocked by the length of the passages on the April MCAT. It seemed like they were are 2-3 paragraphs longer than the practice ones on kaplan and aamc. I managed to finish right on time.

6. 12thandSouth

12thandSouth Junior Member

I took the April 12th exam, and I thought the verbal was on the same level as the AAMC tests. I finished with time to spare and got a 13, which was higher than most of my practice scores.

All of which is to say... don't get psyched out beforehand. The real deal is not more frightening than the practice tests.

7. Dr.Masamichi

Pre-Medical

It seems to me that pple who finish the test with time to spare usually end up with a really good score...****, there was never a case where I finish this damn section...talkin about w/ time to spare...ugh, corporate with me here Verbal:mad:

8. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member

Medical Student
    I've been doing the same with EK101, compressing the tests to simulate CBT conditions..Usually 7 passages will equal about 45 questions, so I extend the time to ~70 minutes. Even so, it's still very tight on time! I think one reason for this is the average passage has 5-6 accompanying questions. I'm just sticking with doing 6 passages, which usually yields around 40 Qs. On the april MCAT exam, the # of questions ranged from 4-7 (if I recall).

And expect the AAMC passages to be longer, as some of the EK passages are too brief.

9. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IMO, and I took all the AAMC tests and the April 12th "real deal," I trained to finish all the AAMC tests quite early, with plenty of time to spare. On the real thing, I completely ran out of time because the passages were significantly longer than the one's I had practiced.

Others here seem to disagree, but I thought the passages were insanely long (Diver Doc will agree) for the April 12th VR. I actually got to the final 2 passages with like 10-12 minutes left, which is well below my typical schedule of finishing early. To compensate, I have been telling people to finish their practice tests with a good amount of time to spare. On the actual test day, I was obviously very nervous and I went slower to compensate. That, in combination with extra-long passages, led to a slower pace. Train to go fast, expect the passages to be long... if you do that, have no fear.

I scored an 11 on the April 12th VR. (I was between 10-12 on all the AAMC tests as well)

10. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012

Attending Physician

Yes, the passages were ridiculous. In the exam (when I was focused) I kept saying to myself "damn, this thing is long, I barley remember the first paragraph" , and guess what, zero time to go back and skim. It sucked.

11. vo-zhd

vo-zhd Guest

Pre-Medical
    hey what were the sources of the passages? were most of the passages taken from newspaper articles or from classic books like "theory of literature", "meaning in visual art" and others seen in practice aamc, or were they taken from some obscure books on psychology, mozart,etc as seen in tpr diagnostics? thanks!