Length of time from Application to Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaffyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this depends on the school, but on average...when would one be offered an interview if he/she applies in late June? In other words, how long does it take to get an interview (on average) from the time that you apply?
Does the process go like this?
June - Apply
July - secondaries
August - request for interview
October - interview
November - decision

?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahaha.

Sorry.

The first part of your list is fine; I submitted AMCAS first day and did most secondaries by late July/early August. I interviewed between August and November -- there was no real correlation between when I turned in a secondary and got an interview, that is, I interviewed sooner at some places that I turned in secondaries later. However, plenty of students interview through Februrary or even March.

However, acceptances roll in far slower than that. A few lucky people may hear October 15 or so, but I have yet to hear from one school that I interviewed at in September. And lots of top-tier schools wait until March to tell any accepted students that they're in.

Here's my perspective as an adcom member.

August 1: readers begin reviewing applications

August 20th: first invitations to interview go out

sometime in September or Oct.: interview season begins

mid Dec, or early Jan.: finally reach the bottom of the stack of interviews

sometime in February or March: interview season ends

In late October I'm still reading applications that were complete in August. When 1,500 applications arrive on Day One (and thousands more later) it takes time to dig out.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it posible to get secondaries and interviews if you submit your app. without mcat scores at the time?

I know this depends on the school, but on average...when would one be offered an interview if he/she applies in late June? In other words, how long does it take to get an interview (on average) from the time that you apply?
Does the process go like this?
June - Apply
July - secondaries
August - request for interview
October - interview
November - decision

?

Thank you.

finished my AMCAS late june (or whenever MCAT scores came out), started getting secondaries a couple of weeks later. with a pretty solid app, my first interview was late Nov (interview offer sometime in october), and the bulk of my interviews were Jan through early March. granted, i was a little slow on some of my secondaries, but still -- this process takes forever.

You can get a pretty good idea by looking through mdapps for people who did "blog" types with dates and stuff.

I personally got verified early July, interview invites started mid August and first interview was mid September. Then I withdrew from most of my schools. So yeah like the adcomm person said it seems like invites tend to only start going out in mid-late august, even if you submitted early June. And you can get acceptances starting October 15th.

is it posible to get secondaries and interviews if you submit your app. without mcat scores at the time?

Some schools send out secondaries automatically (GW comes to mind) so they will send you the secondary (they sent me one before I was even verified).

But even if you submit your secondary you won't be complete without MCAT scores so they won't review you. So no you can't get an interview.

But even the secondaries are rare, most schools won't send you secondaries.

Prepared to be getting interview invites as late as late March, doesn't matter when you apply.