Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

lenz1234: the right college?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jim Henderson, Aug 23, 1999.

1. Jim Henderson

I'm a high school senior trying to decide which college to go to that will best help me
    get into medical school at University of Iowa. Shall I do my undergraduate work
    there? ... or is it best to go elsewhere for a more "well-rounded" student? I
    understand that it's grades, grades, grades ... but does it matter where one goes to
    do that undergrad work? [email protected]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drhenderson

drhenderson Senior Member

Hi, my wife is from Iowa so it would be interesting to hear where you are from! I am
    originally from near Davenport on the Illinois side of the river.

Going to University of Iowa will do you just fine as an undergraduate. If you want to
    go to their medical school you could use it to your advantage because you may
    actually get to do research or at least get to know some of the people involved with
    the medical school.

Going to a smaller school has its advantages too. Assuming your from Iowa, let's say
    you went to Drake or Augustana instead of U of Iowa... you'll definitly get more
    personal attention at the smaller schools... and that may enable you to get better
    letters of recommendation. However, you'll have more resources available at a larger
    university.

Where will you be more comfortable?

You won't go wrong going to the university of Iowa but you need to go where your
    needs are met.

Good luck!

------------------
    Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net