Lesbian wearing suit for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also a lesbian that prefers to wear men's clothes and had the same dilemma when I interviewed. I was concerned about the conservative mood, so I opted to go with a woman's suit. I wore it with a sweater underneath to avoid the tie dilemma. A classmate (who interviewed with me) and I have since had a good chuckle recalling how awkward I looked. But I got in, so all is well.

If I had to do it over, I would have worn a men's suit. I think I would have been more comfortable. I had been concerned about the conservative climate, but I think I was more worried than anyone else was. For what it's worth, I now wear all men's clothes (including ties sometimes) in clinical situations. No one has cared so far.

I can't tell you it wouldn't matter in some places, but I don't think anyone would care at my school.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's really helpful to hear that from someone who's been there, done that :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also a lesbian that prefers to wear men's clothes and had the same dilemma when I interviewed. I was concerned about the conservative mood, so I opted to go with a woman's suit. I wore it with a sweater underneath to avoid the tie dilemma. A classmate (who interviewed with me) and I have since had a good chuckle recalling how awkward I looked. But I got in, so all is well.

If I had to do it over, I would have worn a men's suit. I think I would have been more comfortable. I had been concerned about the conservative climate, but I think I was more worried than anyone else was. For what it's worth, I now wear all men's clothes (including ties sometimes) in clinical situations. No one has cared so far.

I can't tell you it wouldn't matter in some places, but I don't think anyone would care at my school.
:thumbup: There's a beacon of light in the darkness. You're awesome.

Actually I still do around my relatives so I can probably suck it up for a days here and there. :) But I'm guessing this will be case throughout medical school, residency, and beyond, right? ... I can't imagine getting any "Love that dress on you, John!" comments during med school.

From students, you may. But it doesn't seem proper (to me) for someone in that situation to wear, let's say, a dress in clinical situations.

If something has the potential to make patients uncomfortable, it probably shouldn't be done. That is, until you go into surgery, where the patients won't see anyway :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From students, you may. But it doesn't seem proper (to me) for someone in that situation to wear, let's say, a dress in clinical situations.

If something has the potential to make patients uncomfortable, it probably shouldn't be done. That is, until you go into surgery, where the patients won't see anyway :)

Yeah I think it will be okay actually. I can get sort of the cloggier/blockier women's shoes, and if you're wearing a white coat over a women's business suit, who would ever be able to tell? I don't mind wearing a shirt and tie, those are gender neutral imo.

I pretty much only wear men's clothes and no one can tell since it fits. I get the slim or skinny cut stuff. Having cothes that is actually functional is so nice. Sizing also makes sense. If you can't tell, youre wearing it right.

I'm going to wear a men's suit no tie.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's really helpful to hear that from someone who's been there, done that :)

I should also say that if you were to interview wherever I end up, it would be awesome to have you in my class. You know, because you seem awesome.

Flannel ftw.

Think Macys, Lord and Taylorwomen's section more so than the body hugging suits from Banana Republic, The Limited, or Ann Taylor. Don't wear heels if you prefer not to, and carry just a padfolio instead of a handbag. Done.

Either way, if you get a men's suit, you still have to get it tailored. You want to look professional. Both unfitted men's jacket or body-hugging short skirts are a no no.

Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on women wearing men's suits for med school interviews. Or job interviews or research interviews, what have you.

I am not feminine and I do not feel comfortable wearing skirts, heels, or things that accentuate my chest or waist/hips. However, I am not on the extreme end of the spectrum inhabited by ultra-masculine bull ****s. I would consider myself to have an androgynous look, meaning I pass for a young boy.

My question is if it would be appropriate to wear a men's suit to an interview. Of course, I mean one that is well tailored, fitted, not the boxy thing that does not fit and looks like you stole it from your dad's closet. How the actual suit would look is not really important, I'm just wondering if the mere notion of a woman wearing a men's suit would be so scandalous that it could end up getting you rejected. If a clean, respectful, suited individual who looks like a boy sat down and you only found she was a girl when she spoke, would that be "Oh, ok." Or "Wha? A girl! Outrageous!" lol

I have tried women's suits before but I have not found one I would wear. I am not trying to make a "statement". I am just wondering if I can be both comfortable and accepted. If in the end it would be either the suit or an admit, the suit would go.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hey, I would wear a men's suit and not worry about it if that's what you prefer. I had a friend who interviewed at a school in the south. There was a girl in his interview group that wore a men's suit with a tie and everything. Apparently it was not a problem because she got accepted.

I should also say that if you were to interview wherever I end up, it would be awesome to have you in my class. You know, because you seem awesome.

Flannel ftw.

Haha, aw, thanks, that's sweet :)

Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on women wearing men's suits for med school interviews. Or job interviews or research interviews, what have you.

I am not feminine and I do not feel comfortable wearing skirts, heels, or things that accentuate my chest or waist/hips. However, I am not on the extreme end of the spectrum inhabited by ultra-masculine bull ****s. I would consider myself to have an androgynous look, meaning I pass for a young boy.

My question is if it would be appropriate to wear a men's suit to an interview. Of course, I mean one that is well tailored, fitted, not the boxy thing that does not fit and looks like you stole it from your dad's closet. How the actual suit would look is not really important, I'm just wondering if the mere notion of a woman wearing a men's suit would be so scandalous that it could end up getting you rejected. If a clean, respectful, suited individual who looks like a boy sat down and you only found she was a girl when she spoke, would that be "Oh, ok." Or "Wha? A girl! Outrageous!" lol

I have tried women's suits before but I have not found one I would wear. I am not trying to make a "statement". I am just wondering if I can be both comfortable and accepted. If in the end it would be either the suit or an admit, the suit would go.

Senior resident (EM) here who has interviewed students for both med school and residency.

Do NOT do this.

This is a game and you need to play it. Despite our begging and cajoling every year there are a few people on the med school and residency interview trail who feel that

a) they just have to express themselves and

b) they wouldn't want to go to a place that didn't accept them in all of their personal glory.

This is the wrong attitude, and at this risk of sounding like a dick: you ARE absolutely trying to make a statement. This is a professional interview and you must look professional. I am as down with LGBT as I possibly can be, but in 2012 wearing opposite gendered clothes to an interview is not the way the professional world rolls.

I have known many other people (lesbians and otherwise) for whom a woman's business suit is not their favored garb but you just have to suck it up and do it if you wan that great spot, position, or job.

IDGI... If it was a mens suit that was tailored... wouldn't it look like a "woman's" suit if it fit very well (minus the tie)? It would probably look better than an off the rack womans suit - I have broad shoulders, no waist, and no bust and those things look wretched on me!

Don't forget the Jock strap.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Members don't see this ad :)
Jockstraps w/ a suit? One of us has been doing it wrong..

OP and others w/ similar situations, make sure you apply to NYU! I don't think anyone here would be bothered by you wearing a man's suit. And on a similar note, there's work being done to integrate more LGBTQQIA stuff into the curriculum, or so I hear.

Senior resident (EM) here who has interviewed students for both med school and residency.

Do NOT do this.

This is a game and you need to play it. Despite our begging and cajoling every year there are a few people on the med school and residency interview trail who feel that

b) they wouldn't want to go to a place that didn't accept them in all of their personal glory.

This is the wrong attitude, and at this risk of sounding like a dick: you ARE absolutely trying to make a statement. This is a professional interview and you must look professional. I am as down with LGBT as I possibly can be, but in 2012 wearing opposite gendered clothes to an interview is not the way the professional world rolls.

I have known many other people (lesbians and otherwise) for whom a woman's business suit is not their favored garb but you just have to suck it up and do it if you wan that great spot, position, or job.

Thank you for your input, but this kind of heternormalcy drives me crazy. Why does the "right" gender clothing matter? Why can't mean wear women's business suits?

Do NOT do this.

:thumbup:

Thanks for saying that for me. OP this is going to be a few occasions....just deal with being slightly uncomfortable. Its not like you are being asked to wear a female suit every day for the rest of your life....just a few days for a few hours. I am about as socially liberal as they come, but I can tell you that if i were interviewing you for a job/med school/residency and you came in dressed in a mans suit that is what I would be focusing on the entire time....and I can almost guarantee most interviewers would as well. Like this guy above me said, this is a game you need to play in order to get what you want out of life (as much as it sucks).

Thank you for your input, but this kind of heternormalcy drives me crazy. Why does the "right" gender clothing matter? Why can't mean wear women's business suits?

Because this is how the professional world works. It sucks you cant do what you want to do in every single situation in life. Some things are just not worth making a huge issue over, and this is one of them. You can do what you want in your own free time, but when you are a professional acting in a professional capacity, you need to dress and act the role. So until wearing womans clothes as a man and vice versa becomes the norm in professional life you need to suck it up and dress appropriately. Millions of people dress in uncomfortable, restricting, hot clothing each and every day, because that is what is deemed appropriate in our society....you just do it.

I think the way you square this circle is to wear a moderately feminine suit with a black t-shirt. :)

tumblr_lwc3qmq0uN1r4p2f7e.jpg

my advice would be to suck it up and wear something somewhat feminine for your interviews. In an ideal world, you could wear whatever you want, but many people are subconsciously prejudice and may take offense to a woman wearing a man's suit. This will only be for a few instances, and you will avoid any potential disadvantages you may face.
+1

Because this is how the professional world works. It sucks you cant do what you want to do in every single situation in life. Some things are just not worth making a huge issue over, and this is one of them. You can do what you want in your own free time, but when you are a professional acting in a professional capacity, you need to dress and act the role. So until wearing womans clothes as a man and vice versa becomes the norm in professional life you need to suck it up and dress appropriately. Millions of people dress in uncomfortable, restricting, hot clothing each and every day, because that is what is deemed appropriate in our society....you just do it.

-Wearing clothing that feels comfortable and normal is not making a huge issue over anything. I mean, we're not talking about a 'little black dress' -- we'll have that conversation later. But a ladies business suit, or a pair of ladies slacks and a blouse, is it really that bad?

-Are you saying I can't act professionally while wearing a women's suit?

:thumbup:

Thanks for saying that for me. OP this is going to be a few occasions....just deal with being slightly uncomfortable. Its not like you are being asked to wear a female suit every day for the rest of your life....just a few days for a few hours. I am about as socially liberal as they come, but I can tell you that if i were interviewing you for a job/med school/residency and you came in dressed in a mans suit that is what I would be focusing on the entire time....and I can almost guarantee most interviewers would as well. Like this guy above me said, this is a game you need to play in order to get what you want out of life (as much as it sucks).

I know there's not really any point in "clearing" this up, but hey, makes me feel better :)

I understand your point of view and I am willing to do this if it comes down to it. However, I'm not sure the whole situation is being correctly interpreted. It's like this: A young boy in a suit sits down to be interviewed. When she speaks, you notice it's actually a girl. Would the mere fact that the outward gender does not fit the actual gender negatively impact the interviewer's opinion? I'm saying this because I don't look like a girl wearing a men's suit. I look like a boy in a men's suit. In fact, I would probably look like a tranny in girl's clothes. I am asian, not white, so the popularized view of "girl pretending to be boy" do not hold true here. If you'd like, you can look up "'Asian Tomboy". Once more, I am fine doing this to satisfy the preconceived notions of gender expression but it would just be weird as it does not look natural.

Blah blah, if anyone cares, here it is! I dunno, if there's any point in continuing to argue :p I hold this view, other people hold their views, let's both be right :)

Do NOT do this.

I agree. It's unfortunate, but your aim here is to get it - you only need one person to take a dislike to what you're wearing (even subconsciously), and your chances are shot.

Look, I've worn my hair shaved with a #1 blade since I was on the swim team in HS. I joined the military in university and just kept the hair. I liked the simplicity and frankly I think I look good like that.

But I grew it out into a short but more "womanly" style when I was preparing for med school interviews because why risk my admission over it? It might not have mattered, but it also might have, and why take that chance?

-Wearing clothing that feels comfortable and normal is not making a huge issue over anything. I mean, we're not talking about a 'little black dress' -- we'll have that conversation later. But a ladies business suit, or a pair of ladies slacks and a blouse, is it really that bad?

-Are you saying I can't act professionally while wearing a women's suit?

Lol. Y u so obstinate? You have to play by the rules. I would like to show up to an interview in assless chaps and pasties because they make me feel normal, but I'd rather get the acceptance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lol. Y u so obstinate? You have to play by the rules. I would like to show up to an interview in assless chaps and pasties because they make me feel normal, but I'd rather get the acceptance.

Thank you for making my day! I hope you get admitted.... you can always save the assless chaps and pasties for second look.

Hey guys,

Before going to men's suits (which tend to hide the female figure) I would first suggest looking for suits in the petite section for women. You may find a nicer fitting suit that while not super-feminine, would accent hips, shoulders, etc. nicely. That said, if it's not working for you, go with the suit you feel most comfortable in.

Comfort and confidence is key. If you don't feel comfortable in heels, don't wear them. I would opt away from an androgynous look as much as possible, however. Any confusion about your gender detracts from their focus on your accomplishments and talents. :) If you tend towards androgenous, I would recommend wearing tasteful earrings or necklace, with make-up as a must. It can be simple and tasteful (a little natural eyeshadow and lipstick) but look polished and confident!

OP and others w/ similar situations, make sure you apply to NYU! I don't think anyone here would be bothered by you wearing a man's suit. And on a similar note, there's work being done to integrate more LGBTQQIA stuff into the curriculum, or so I hear.

Yeah, clearly the answer is to apply to NYC schools. Go there, be you =). :thumbup:

If a clean, respectful, suited individual who looks like a boy sat down and you only found she was a girl when she spoke, would that be "Oh, ok." Or "Wha? A girl! Outrageous!" lol
Probably not the first thing you want them to think when they meet you. I wouldn't tell someone to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable at an interview, but an interview is by far the most important time to play it conservative. You certainly don't have to wear a skirt and heels, but wearing a tie like NPH would just draw the wrong kind of attention, IMO.

I could not agree with you more, and if we are out having beers I would celebrate someone for saying f*** it and being themselves. I am a full on Ally. But if I'm advising you on how to interview for professional school, I'm going to tell you to dress like a senator of your same sex. Because that is what you do.

I know there's not really any point in "clearing" this up, but hey, makes me feel better :)

I understand your point of view and I am willing to do this if it comes down to it. However, I'm not sure the whole situation is being correctly interpreted. It's like this: A young boy in a suit sits down to be interviewed. When she speaks, you notice it's actually a girl. Would the mere fact that the outward gender does not fit the actual gender negatively impact the interviewer's opinion? I'm saying this because I don't look like a girl wearing a men's suit. I look like a boy in a men's suit. In fact, I would probably look like a tranny in girl's clothes. I am asian, not white, so the popularized view of "girl pretending to be boy" do not hold true here. If you'd like, you can look up "'Asian Tomboy". Once more, I am fine doing this to satisfy the preconceived notions of gender expression but it would just be weird as it does not look natural.

Blah blah, if anyone cares, here it is! I dunno, if there's any point in continuing to argue :p I hold this view, other people hold their views, let's both be right :)

Yeah listen OP, I'm not trying to criticize your appearance especially as I've never met you, but if you look that androgynous then I think you need to do EVERYTHING possible to not shock your interviewer.

I'm not encouraged by your resistance to playing the game I have to say. Are you saying that your expected turn of events in an interview is that

-you appear to be a young boy
-the interviewer realizes you are a woman
-the interviewing is then somewhat confused as to why you are wearing a men's suit?

Because if that is how you think it is going to play out, then that is how you are going to be remembered. I think you are really rolling the dice with your future if you are going to have every interview start with gender confusion for the person who is interviewing you. Keep in mind this person is going to likely be a late middle aged white person, a demographic not especially known for their open-mindedness.

Thank you for making my day! I hope you get admitted.... you can always save the assless chaps and pasties for second look.

:)))

The point for the interviewer is to weight and see whether the candidate is productive as they wanted him/her to be, and can do well in their community. Both has a serious role, so if the environment, you apply to, is a very conservative place, then it will be an opportunity to make a direct exit at the beginning. Else, both sides will have an idea about what they will find in each other in future. Honesty always works the best. I would wear and go to the interview in whichever way I feel as I am. But on the other hand, to show how you are willing to spend an effort to keep the harmony and team notion, if and as necessary, is important as well (I remember I didnt accept a job offer because of the self-centrism of the manager I observed during the interview). Actually especially in medicine its a sine qua none. So to express with your suit as well how you wont be an extreme factor in the community, may tell more about you and have a positive role.

I loved the wild blond surfer boy hair style that I had before applying to med school - I had not cut it in about 2 years. But I got a short conservative hair cut before beginning my med school interview season. I continue to have short hair and a well groomed look as a surgical resident. Sometimes you have to play the game by rules that you did not invent. Deal with it.

It sounds like you're doing both. I guess the only example I can give is if you were a dude, who identified as a dude, but you had to wear a dress or a women's business suit and flats to a hugely important interview. Imagine your level of comfort and confidence.

Now tweak that scenario a bit for my case. I guarantee you there are plenty of pre-meds who experience some degree of gender ambiguity.

A little late to the thread but still wanted to add my thoughts:

Despite lots of progress, gender is still a binary - meaning that even the most LGBTQ friendly 50-year-old is still expecting someone that fits into either man or woman categories. Unfortunately I think you have to choose how to present yourself but I would argue against any ambiguity (ie appearing as boy, speak and act as girl, girl name and gender on app). In the worst case they get confused and don't line up the application (or you get kicked out of the bathroom), and at best you're adding distraction to an already stressful process.

One of my advisors said to not present anything in app or interview that we're not prepared to fully talk about (ie don't come out or put LGBT unless you can explain without getting flustered.) I don't know how much you've thought about your "gender ambiguity" but presenting as "in-between" means you're opening the door for lots of questions about gender, what your genitals look like, etc. I have multiple friends who are in med school, nurses, etc and they all transitioned before applying - so they felt comfortable with it, had worked through the awkard moments that tend to arise and were "passing" as whatever gender on a regular basis.

Given what you've shared I don't think you'll pass as straight, but I think you could aim for a professional lesbian look that's still solidly a woman. Think Rachel Maddow, pantsuit with a boring top, flats or clogs, little or no make-up and jewelry. The suit itself shouldn't matter too much as long as it's tailored - either should fit but not flaunt what your body actually looks like.

Good luck and feel free to pm if you want to talk more!

Plenty of women wear ill-fitting pantsuits. You're talking about a fitted suit, that will likely look like a decently-made suit, since you're having it custom made. As long as it's not pink with green clovers and rainbows it'll look gender neutral, like most suits do. It's what's underneath the jacket that tends to define the gender. So, wear the suit and don't wear the tie. You've got bigger things to worry about, anyway.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! I will play the game and wear a women's suit. I wouldn't want a code blue for the interviewer's heart attack. Always better safe then sorry, especially when your future is at stake :)

Sounds good and good luck! Medicine needs more folks like you even if the interviewers might not realize it every time...

Any new opinions on this subject? Would you say a custom suit from a place like mens wearhouse or jos. a bank is appropriate for medical school interviews in 2018? I haven't worn "womens" clothes in like...five years and I'm sure I will appear visibly uncomfortable if I'm wearing some kind of hillary clinton powersuit deal.

I just think it's hilarious that we can make women's business attire that emulates traditional men's in nearly every way (the aforementioned pantsuit) yet the minute the opposite sex considers just wearing a men's suit it's a subject of debate.

Reactions: 1 users
Any new opinions on this subject? Would you say a custom suit from a place like mens wearhouse or jos. a bank is appropriate for medical school interviews in 2018? I haven't worn "womens" clothes in like...five years and I'm sure I will appear visibly uncomfortable if I'm wearing some kind of hillary clinton powersuit deal.
You do you.

Reactions: 2 users
I just think it's hilarious that we can make women's business attire that emulates traditional men's in nearly every way (the aforementioned pantsuit) yet the minute the opposite sex considers just wearing a men's suit it's a subject of debate.

Yeah, pretty absurd. But seriously will I be fine interviewing in a suit and tie? I look awesome and all I have to do is introduce myself as a girl to avoid any confusion, its not that deep or anything. I actually didn't realize this was at all a controversial topic until I searched for it here.

Personally...I wouldn’t see an issue as long as it fits. Women’s bodies are just naturally shaped different than a man’s. Don’t get a suit that is hanging off of you and deal with the fact that tailoring will be a likely added expense.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, pretty absurd. But seriously will I be fine interviewing in a suit and tie? I look awesome and all I have to do is introduce myself as a girl to avoid any confusion, its not that deep or anything. I actually didn't realize this was at all a controversial topic until I searched for it here.
You'll be fine. you could probably even forgo the tie if you wanted to (They aren't as common amongst women). I agree with Ceistar, just make sure it fits well.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally...I wouldn’t see an issue as long as it fits. Women’s bodies are just naturally shaped different than a man’s. Don’t get a suit that is hanging off of you and deal with the fact that tailoring will be a likely added expense.
Yeah I was planning on getting one totally made for my body, since I need one for weddings/graduations coming up anyway. It will definitely fit! Thanks for the reassurance

Interesting how much society changes in the lapse of 6 years.

Reactions: 4 users
Times change. My niece's wife (there's a change from what was legal when this thread started) wore a suit and tie at their wedding. She wore a suit and tie in her class picture at an Ivy League law school. That's how she dresses for work in a DC law firm. No one seems to bat an eye at that these days and if she wanted to apply to med school, I'd say, pick out your favorite suit and bow tie (she rocks bow ties) from the closet because you are going to feel great and look great.

And I'm an interviewer old enough to be the mother of any applicant in the room. But I'm also in a big city in a blue state and I have several family members who are gay. Also consider that many faculty members, including some adcom members at my school, are gay.

YMMV in red states and more conservative areas of the country.

Reactions: 3 users