Lesbian wearing suit for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not a problem here in the middle Midwest either, and if it would be a dealbreaker probably not the right place for you anyway. Everyone wears a suit to their interview anyhow.

Members don't see this ad.

Any new opinions on this subject? Would you say a custom suit from a place like mens wearhouse or jos. a bank is appropriate for medical school interviews in 2018? I haven't worn "womens" clothes in like...five years and I'm sure I will appear visibly uncomfortable if I'm wearing some kind of hillary clinton powersuit deal.
So the two things I'd worry about are making sure you don't look like you're super young (have to avoid looking like a kid dressing up in his dad's clothes!) and finding something that really fits. Depending on your build, it might be easier to start with a women's suit that's pretty andro and alter it. I know I have a really hard time finding a men's suit that fits my shoulders without being super tight around my hips, which accentuates them in an undesirable way. I don't think it'll matter which side you got the suit from so long as it fits and is well-tailored, but the shoulders have to fit before tailoring and you can't always get much extra ease over the hips out of a men's suit.

If I were getting a custom suit, I'd probably look at Indochino before Mens Wearhouse. I personally, as someone whose gender does not match my birth certificate, got a suit at J Crew that only required minor alterations. You could even get a thrift store suit and get it altered down, so long as the fabric is good, the shoulders fit, and there's enough material to work with. If it fits well and looks professional and you match it with the right shirt and shoes, it'll be just fine.

Edited to add: I like this person's style as inspiration for andro med school-appropriate clothing. Lover of Stories

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Interviewed in an unambiguously "men's" blue suit and tie from indochino this fall, got accepted to my top choice on 10/15! No one made any comment on my appearance and it super was not an issue. My how times change!

Reactions: 7 users
Opened this thread and was shocked at some of the comments on there, then saw it was from 2012. Reiterating what many others have said, but it's amazing what can change in 6 years!

Reactions: 2 users
Update: Interviewed in an unambiguously "men's" blue suit and tie from indochino this fall, got accepted to my top choice on 10/15! No one made any comment on my appearance and it super was not an issue. My how times change!

Congratulations! So happy to hear about your own fabulous result, and also that the general sentiment seems to have caught up on not having to choose binary if you don't identify as binary.

That's progress --

Reactions: 1 user